Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime-New York

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
wow, glad I don't live there. can you call it a police STATE yet?

SNIP:

Posted by Majority Press on Wednesday, June 5th, 2013

Related issues: Crime, Police

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

all of it here
Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

SNIP:

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

all of it here
Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

it is getting to be that

in Florida the Gov had Sheriff Nicholas Finch arrested

for defending a citizens Second Amendment rights

Sheriff Nick Finch has declined to comment on his arrest. His attorney, Jimmy Judkins, released the following statement:

“The records at the jail show exactly what happened in this case and the records speak the truth. The sheriff looked at the facts and said ‘I believe in the second ammendment and we’re not going to charge him.’ That is not misconduct at all. That is within the Sheriff’s prerogative whether to charge someone or not.”

Liberty County Sheriff Arrested [READ ARREST WARRANT]

The sheriff allegedly altered or removed official documents in the case of a man arrested on a gun charge, and the sheriff ordered the man's release.

Tell the whole story, huh, Jon?

SNIP:

all of it here

And who decides what constitutes harassment ?
I can see it now......Guy whips out his cell phone to film an arrest.....no need to explain further.

In liberaland, attacking the police is a requirement for membership in the Democratic party.

Many of my NYPD friends are very happy about this but I see it as more erosion of our freedom, the crime ridden 70's and 80's version of NYC keep looking better and better every day, NYC has had all it's souls, character, and freedom sucked out of it since the day Giuliani was elected and Bloomberg has ramped it into overdrive. NYC is now not much different than a mid west mall. Tourists my advice is dont bother coming here nothing different to see here any more.

Many of my NYPD friends are very happy about this but I see it as more erosion of our freedom, the crime ridden 70's and 80's version of NYC keep looking better and better every day, NYC has had all it's souls, character, and freedom sucked out of it since the day Giuliani was elected and Bloomberg has ramped it into overdrive. NYC is now not much different than a mid west mall. Tourists my advice is dont bother coming here nothing different to see here any more.

Truer words were never spoken, and I loved NYC in the 70s and 80s. Manhattan has been turned into an Island for rich people.

I remember NYC in the late 40s and 50s. The police carried billy clubs. If a cop was attacked, the billy club took care of it on the spot. No need to clutter up the court system. Very few people attacked a cop, verbally or physically.

For the hard core who got arrested, there was the "interrogation room" and a rubber hose.

It's laughable that people find a law protecting the police some kind of police state.

Truer words were never spoken, and I loved NYC in the 70s and 80s. Manhattan has been turned into an Island for rich people.

Wasn't New York City in the 70s and 80s pretty much a city overflowing with violent crime and corruption in the police department and the highest levels of government?

There is the 'Intent' of the law...

And then there is the inevitable 'Never-Intended Use or Reinterpretation' of the law on some future date...

I doubt most folks who object to the law, do so because of the former, but because of the latter...

And there may very well be some merit in that perspective...

I smell the potential for widespread use of this in ways the authors (a) never intended or (b) are not sharing with the public in the run-up to passage and first challenges...

The best way to avoid future abuse is to never pass such a law, or, at least, to neutralize it as soon as possible after passage...

Here's to this beastie being challenged soon, and being struck down...

Last edited:

Wasn't New York City in the 70s and 80s pretty much a city overflowing with violent crime and corruption in the police department and the highest levels of government?

Better to have to worry about crime than lose your freedom, I lived in both New Yorks and would choose the gritty NYC any day of the Disneyfide mall the city has become.

Forum List

Back