Sequester Impact On States Detailed In New White House Reports

WASHINGTON -- It's looking increasingly like the government is about to impose on itself $85 billion in across-the-board spending cuts. So as part of its strategy to pressure Republicans into accepting new revenues as part of a deal to prevent the sequester from taking effect, the White House released new reports on Sunday that outline the ugly effects those cuts would have in individual states.

Each state's report is linked below. But Jason Furman, principal deputy director of the White House's National Economic Council, pulled out some state-specific examples of the ways the cuts will hurt education, national defense, public health and the economy.

In Ohio, 350 teacher and teacher-aide jobs are at risk, which means 43,000 fewer students will be served, Furman said on a Sunday conference call with reporters. In Virginia, 90,000 civilian Department of Defense employees would be furloughed. About 4,180 fewer children in Georgia would get vaccines and, in Kentucky, 400 fewer victims of domestic violence would end up being served.

Recently approved aid for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts will also be at risk, officials said, and commuters should expect more delays in airports.

President Barack Obama's deficit reduction plan, which includes new revenues in addition to spending cuts, would be a "much better course, economically and substantively" than the sequester, Furman said. The president's proposal would achieve $1.8 trillion in deficit reduction, made up of roughly $1.1 trillion in spending cuts and $680 billion in new revenues drawn from limiting deductions and closing tax loopholes for the wealthiest Americans.

Sequester Impact On States Detailed In New White House Reports

The CBO says the cuts will amount to less than $44 billion, which is less than 1.5% of the budget. I can't wait for the cuts to hit so I can laugh at all the idiots that predicted disaster.

Who cares. It should have been 500 billion in cuts over 3 to 4 years. Crying over such as small amount is hilarious.

What they did is make sure it only impacts services that the public notices. So that 3rd grade beancounter whos job no one quite knows what it is becomes safe, but people interatcting with the publitc get furloughed.

That way the feds can turn around and say "look what happens when we cut $85 Billion! Those eeevul republicans want to cut 10 times as much!!!!"

You honestly believe that 3rd grades around the country have extra people they could just do without? Where do you live? We'll have to schedule you for a school tour sometime soon. When you find that extra person in the building be sure and just let us know.

Do I honestly believe that? Absolutely.

You honestly believe that 3rd grades around the country have extra people they could just do without? Where do you live? We'll have to schedule you for a school tour sometime soon. When you find that extra person in the building be sure and just let us know.

You misread. The term is "grade 3" as in federal government employment level.

Schools have nothing to do with it, and besides, what the hell is a federal employee doing in a local school to begin with????

I wasn't sure how you meant that. Either way it equals about the same logic. Let's leave off the discussion of the role of federal money in public education for the time being.

Let's put this in terms you can relate to. Walmart has annual revenue of $446.950 billion. Pretty big company right? Well let's say your local store just got a order from above that it has 15% less budget for the rest of the year. Guess what you are going to be doing the next time you stop by.

walmart.png

Other than the fact your numbers are off by a factor of 13.8 your post makes sense.

You misread. The term is "grade 3" as in federal government employment level.

Schools have nothing to do with it, and besides, what the hell is a federal employee doing in a local school to begin with????

I wasn't sure how you meant that. Either way it equals about the same logic. Let's leave off the discussion of the role of federal money in public education for the time being.

Let's put this in terms you can relate to. Walmart has annual revenue of $446.950 billion. Pretty big company right? Well let's say your local store just got a order from above that it has 15% less budget for the rest of the year. Guess what you are going to be doing the next time you stop by.

walmart.png

Other than the fact your numbers are off by a factor of 13.8 your post makes sense.

God Damn you don't know what you are talking about!

What they did is make sure it only impacts services that the public notices. So that 3rd grade beancounter whos job no one quite knows what it is becomes safe, but people interatcting with the publitc get furloughed.

That way the feds can turn around and say "look what happens when we cut $85 Billion! Those eeevul republicans want to cut 10 times as much!!!!"

Are you aware that in some schools teachers pay out of their personal money basic supplies for their students?

Good News.....despite all of the essentials the White House says will be lost, e.g. pentagon jobs, nutrition for seniors, police, first responders, I did not see Big Bird or NPR on the List! The President has deemed funding for Big Bird more important than all of the essentials they scream will be impacted.

Off Limits to the Sequester - Presidential Salary and Presidential Vacation Expenses

I think the most important factor in reducing the deficit for the Republicans so they start another war so they can pay Haliburton, Blackwater, and the oil companies once again. Otherwise who is going to fund their campaigns?

I have seen someone buy a Pepsi at a convenience store. That does not give me an honorary PhD in economics. You should really wake up to the fact you don't know shit.

And Palin is not qualified to be the Secretary of State. Are all of you Republicans so uninformed that you think you know everything?
Palin? WTF are you talking about?

The best retort you can come up with is name calling? Really. You might take a look in the mirror for that person that does not know shit. The rest of us are going to use that brain located in our skulls to do more than blindly accept things that are shoved down our throats.

If all you want to do is demand that we accept your asinine and empty conclusions, why are you even here.

I have seen someone buy a Pepsi at a convenience store. That does not give me an honorary PhD in economics. You should really wake up to the fact you don't know shit.

And Palin is not qualified to be the Secretary of State. Are all of you Republicans so uninformed that you think you know everything?
Palin? WTF are you talking about?

The best retort you can come up with is name calling? Really. You might take a look in the mirror for that person that does not know shit. The rest of us are going to use that brain located in our skulls to do more than blindly accept things that are shoved down our throats.

If all you want to do is demand that we accept your asinine and empty conclusions, why are you even here.

Someone's got a girlfriend. :eusa_whistle: Someone's got a girlfriend. :eusa_whistle: :rolleyes:

Correct. The best idea I heard so far is the 1-cent a year cut in spending dollars until we get back to Balance. Right now we're borrowing about 38-cents of every dollar.

Never happen. Too many idiots in DC.

Last edited:
After WW 2 the government finally stopped spending and we had the longest biggest economic boom in world history!! If the sequester can grow each year we should she the same phenomenon- right??.

You make a lot of assumptions that are not backed up by the facts or the wholly different circumstances surrounding the end of WWII compared to today.

Actually, the gov't didn't stop spending after WWII. It just stopped spending on war. At the end of the war, we had the GI Bill, AND the ONLY intact industrial base in the world (NO competition), AND pent up demand from years of rationing which followed years of privation from The Great Depression.

What we will have now, is a mandatory reduction in aggregate spending which will likely throw thousands into unemployment which will require additional gov't spending in the form of unemployment paid to workers who lose their jobs.

Day

And

Night

After WW 2 the government finally stopped spending and we had the longest biggest economic boom in world history!! If the sequester can grow each year we should she the same phenomenon- right??.

You make a lot of assumptions that are not backed up by the facts or the wholly different circumstances surrounding the end of WWII compared to today.

Actually, the gov't didn't stop spending after WWII. It just stopped spending on war. At the end of the war, we had the GI Bill, AND the ONLY intact industrial base in the world (NO competition), AND pent up demand from years of rationing which followed years of privation from The Great Depression.

What we will have now, is a mandatory reduction in aggregate spending which will likely throw thousands into unemployment which will require additional gov't spending in the form of unemployment paid to workers who lose their jobs.

Day

And

Night

Marshall Plan anyone?

walmart.png

God Damn you don't know what you are talking about!

Just because you don't know what I am talking about does not mean I don't.

Are you aware that in some schools teachers pay out of their personal money basic supplies for their students?

Are you aware that schools have lots of people who do not teach anyone?

Day

And

Night

After WWII the Keynesian economists predicted a massive depression as a result of the 40% cut in federal spending.

Are you aware that schools have lots of people who do not teach anyone?

yep a classroom gets about $500,000 in revenue. THe teacher gets 50K and the rest gets wasted. Thats liberalism for you.

In a competitive system the teacher might get 400k and turn out the best students in the world rather than the dumbest as is the case under the current liberal system.

Forum List

Back