Sequester will be no big deal...

It works out to a 2% cut in spending.

I'm sure we can live through it.

It is not going to be nearly as bad as when Clinton was president and the government actually shut down over cutting spending growth. Some of us lived through that, and most of us didn't even notice.

Obama is just trying to scare you. That is a liberal tactic!

Blog: 'Devastating' sequester cuts: True or False?

According to Obama, the sequester would represent "a huge blow to middle-class families and our economy as a whole." Obama's White House has also referred to the sequester as "devastating," saying its cuts would "imperil our economy, our national security (and) vital programs that middle class families depend on."

Sounds frightening - but is it true? Of course not. According to The Wall Street Journal "federal domestic discretionary spending soared by 84 percent with some agencies doubling and tripling their budgets" during Barack Obama's first two years in office. In fact the sequester would scale back just one of every six dollars in discretionary spending increases since 2008 - hardly a "huge blow." Also, discretionary spending in 2008 was already tremendously inflated - having increased by more than 60 percent over the previous eight years.

In other words this isn't even really a cut - "devastating" or otherwise - it's a modest growth rate reduction following years of unnecessary, embarrassing and unsustainable excesses.

Read more: Blog: 'Devastating' sequester cuts: True or False?
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

I guess your job is not in jeopardy; it is a big deal to those who will lose their's. It must be nice to be so callous.

I have a prediction, no one will lose their job because of the sequester.

BATH, Maine — Hundreds of Bath Iron Works employees could be affected in the next six to nine months if the U.S. Senate fails to avert automatic spending cuts set to take place March 1, BIW President Jeffrey Geiger said Thursday at a news conference with U.S. Sens. Angus King, I-Maine, and Susan Collins, R-Maine.

The $85 billion in automatic spending cuts, also known as sequestration, which will be triggered if Congress doesn’t reach an alternative agreement, also could prevent the U.S. Navy from being able to award contracts for subsequent DDG-51 ships that BIW is supposed to begin building later this year and in early 2014, Geiger said at the Bath shipyard.

Furthermore, “If those ships don’t get authorized and progressed through the system, then that number will grow significantly in 2014 and 2015 in terms of impact,” Geiger said.

According to Obama, the sequester would represent "a huge blow to middle-class families and our economy as a whole." Obama's White House has also referred to the sequester as "devastating," saying its cuts would "imperil our economy, our national security (and) vital programs that middle class families depend on."

Sounds frightening - but is it true? Of course not. According to The Wall Street Journal "federal domestic discretionary spending soared by 84 percent with some agencies doubling and tripling their budgets" during Barack Obama's first two years in office. In fact the sequester would scale back just one of every six dollars in discretionary spending increases since 2008 - hardly a "huge blow." Also, discretionary spending in 2008 was already tremendously inflated - having increased by more than 60 percent over the previous eight years.

In other words this isn't even really a cut - "devastating" or otherwise - it's a modest growth rate reduction following years of unnecessary, embarrassing and unsustainable excesses.

I guess your job is not in jeopardy; it is a big deal to those who will lose their's. It must be nice to be so callous.

Sequestration was created for that purpose, so jobs will be lost, imho.

A sweeping out of the old and in with the new (after this attrition phase) when the Republicans are once back in office.

That's my prediction.

I too have a prediction, as long as the Congress continues to play political games the fewer Americans will invest in American companies or buy durable goods.

A sweeping out of the old and in with the new (after this attrition phase) when the Republicans are once back in office.

That's my prediction.
Why would any job be lost if the budget is growing?

Everyone keeps going on and on about how spending cuts will hurt people and cause suffering so I have a simple question does anyone really think you can get out of a 16 trillion dollar debt without people getting hurt and suffering?

That's my prediction.

Jobs are both lost and gained in such transitions. So, some will be lost (regardless of a possible job growth/loss stasis from the event of sequestration, which I don't believe btw)

Even when one thing is growing, another thing can be lost. Different jobs will be gained. Some from the growing government and some from the private sector.

That's my prediction.

Jobs are both lost and gained in such transitions. So, some will be lost (regardless of a possible job growth/loss stasis from the event of sequestration, which I don't believe btw)

Even when one thing is growing, another thing can be lost. Different jobs will be gained. Some from the growing government and some from the private sector.
that means it is dishonest to say that sequestration will cause job loss, doesn't it?

Thank you for making My point.

Sequestration, another manufactured crisis brought to you by the United States Government.

BATH, Maine — Hundreds of Bath Iron Works employees could be affected in the next six to nine months if the U.S. Senate fails to avert automatic spending cuts set to take place March 1, BIW President Jeffrey Geiger said Thursday at a news conference with U.S. Sens. Angus King, I-Maine, and Susan Collins, R-Maine.

The $85 billion in automatic spending cuts, also known as sequestration, which will be triggered if Congress doesn’t reach an alternative agreement, also could prevent the U.S. Navy from being able to award contracts for subsequent DDG-51 ships that BIW is supposed to begin building later this year and in early 2014, Geiger said at the Bath shipyard.

Furthermore, “If those ships don’t get authorized and progressed through the system, then that number will grow significantly in 2014 and 2015 in terms of impact,” Geiger said.

For a guy that claims to hate the the government and corporations work hand in hand you spend a lot of time supporting the lies that enable them to run the entire planet.

I too have a prediction, as long as the Congress continues to play political games the fewer Americans will invest in American companies or buy durable goods.

Obama is playing the game here, not Congress. The sooner you see that, the better off you will be.

that means it is dishonest to say that sequestration will cause job loss, doesn't it?

Sequestration, another manufactured crisis brought to you by the United States Government.

Dishonest? Of course not. No one can say for sure. It's all opinions, manufactured or not.

:)

Obama is playing the game here, not Congress. The sooner you see that, the better off you will be.

He's won this part of the game.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps going on and on about how spending cuts will hurt people and cause suffering so I have a simple question does anyone really think you can get out of a 16 trillion dollar debt without people getting hurt and suffering?

We cut spending 40% after WWII, and all the Keynesians of the time predicted an economic disaster that would have made the great depression look like an economic boon. Can you tell me what actually happened?

Dishonest? Of course not. No one can say for sure. It's all opinions, manufactured or not.

Not in the least bit. To say that hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost and that government will have to chose between paying granny or cops all because the rate of growth is going to go down? Of course it is dishonest.

Not in the least bit. To say that hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost and that government will have to chose between paying granny or cops all because the rate of growth is going to go down? Of course it is dishonest.

Jobs are lost and jobs are created from different ideologies. He's in power and he's made some very good (powerful) moves.

Expect the changes whether you like them or not.

Jobs are lost and jobs are created from different ideologies. He's in power and he's made some very good (powerful) moves.

He hasn't made a good move since he left the community organizer job. This country is in a bigger mess than when he took office.

He hasn't made a good move since he left the community organizer job. This country is in a bigger mess than when he took office.

So, you don't like his changes... so far. Some opinions will be lost and some will be gained. Like the jobs.

There is no need to stop the Sequestration. Hell, a slow down in growth is practically worthless, but it is something. Maybe they can get together and do that "fair and balanced' approach Obama was talking about by actually having the President live up to his word and cut (real cuts) some shit from the continuing resolution they currently use as a budget? Is it really to much to ask that they cut something?

Let's try it like this.

Let's say this guy has a smoking problem. He goes to doctor and doctor tells him he has six months to live unless he quits smoking immediately. Guy says no. Doctor looks at him. "If you don't quit smoking I am going to fucking knee-cap you." The guy says, "Fine as long as I can keep smoking for another two years."

There is no need to stop the Sequestration. Hell, a slow down in growth is practically worthless, but it is something. Maybe they can get together and do that "fair and balanced' approach Obama was talking about by actually having the President live up to his word and cut (real cuts) some shit from the continuing resolution they currently use as a budget? Is it really to much to ask that they cut something?

Let's try it like this.

Let's say this guy has a smoking problem. He goes to doctor and doctor tells him he has six months to live unless he quits smoking immediately. Guy says no. Doctor looks at him. "If you don't quit smoking I am going to fucking knee-cap you." The guy says, "Fine as long as I can keep smoking for another two years."

I grabbed the wrong post to reply to but oh well.

It's not going to be the grand liberal pipe dream that Obama alluded to either. Everyone is going to blame the other person for what anyone doesn't like about this.

That's standard operating procedure for Democrats. 20 years from now they will still be blaming Bush for the disastrous results of their policies.

Forum List

Back