Sequester will be no big deal...

You claim that the fact that he got elected (and re-elected) constitutes a "mandate."

You clearly do not understand the import of the word.

I don't claim anything. He's President and he's doing what he said he would try to do.

He was voted in saying he would do those things and he was voted in on a second term.

That's mandate enough for my opinion. Clearly it's not enough for yours. Like I said.

OK

I recall him saying he was going to take a balanced approach and combine spending cuts with tax increases. He got his tax increases, and is now fighting against any cuts in spending. That means, even if I suffer from the delusion that he won the election because of what he said he would do, in this case he is going against the mandate you think he has.

Thus proving you are a lying sack of shit.

In the end of this chess game I believe we will see both tax increases and spending cuts.

But don't read my lips. :)

It's not about me. :)

You think something is dishonest and I don't. He's the President and has the mandate.

You're somewhere else.

Obama has a mandate? In what universe?

The third universe from the left of Orion. This universe of course, which did you think we were talking about. Geesh. :D

Obama has a mandate. I don't know about the literal definition but when a president runs on a platform and is elected by the margin Obama was elected with that is defined in political terms as a 'mandate'.

I must say though, being president is probably more than Obama even dreamed of achieving but for the rest of us he really needs to achieve just a little more.

The margin he was elected by was less than 5%.

Sorry.

President Obama has the mandate and he defers to history, not you or me. If he can force Congress to do what he wants, then he's pretty powerful.

He has no mandate.

But if he can get the weak-willed Boehner led GOP House to cave in to most of his legislative agenda and wishes, then he does have the authority to lead and he will gain a modicum of "success" at least as he measures that notion. Whether what he gets passed is consistent with the restraints imposed by the Constitution is another matter.

He's President of the United States of America in a second term. You say he has no mandate.

OK

All the GOP members in Congress were elected, many with much larger margins than Obama. They all have mandates too.

Obama has a mandate? In what universe?

The third universe from the left of Orion. This universe of course, which did you think we were talking about. Geesh. :D

Obama has a mandate. I don't know about the literal definition but when a president runs on a platform and is elected by the margin Obama was elected with that is defined in political terms as a 'mandate'.

I must say though, being president is probably more than Obama even dreamed of achieving but for the rest of us he really needs to achieve just a little more.

Sorry.

And what was the margin did Romney and Ryan win by? Oh yeah, They didn't! :eek:

There were two choices for the future and a majority of the people did not like being referred to as the "takers". What do you think about that term. What do you think of Ryan's budget? Is that what you are arguing for? Do you even know?

Sorry.

And what was the margin did Romney and Ryan win by? Oh yeah, They didn't! :eek:

There were two choices for the future and a majority of the people did not like being referred to as the "takers". What do you think about that term. What do you think of Ryan's budget? Is that what you are arguing for? Do you even know?

People seldom want to hear the truth.
ANyway, Obama has no mandate. We've established that. People want the budget crisis solved. What has he done to accomplish that? What proposals has Obama put forth to cut spending?
None. Zero. He has no credibility here.

Obama is just trying to scare you. That is a liberal tactic!

Blog: 'Devastating' sequester cuts: True or False?

According to Obama, the sequester would represent "a huge blow to middle-class families and our economy as a whole." Obama's White House has also referred to the sequester as "devastating," saying its cuts would "imperil our economy, our national security (and) vital programs that middle class families depend on."

Sounds frightening - but is it true? Of course not. According to The Wall Street Journal "federal domestic discretionary spending soared by 84 percent with some agencies doubling and tripling their budgets" during Barack Obama's first two years in office. In fact the sequester would scale back just one of every six dollars in discretionary spending increases since 2008 - hardly a "huge blow." Also, discretionary spending in 2008 was already tremendously inflated - having increased by more than 60 percent over the previous eight years.

In other words this isn't even really a cut - "devastating" or otherwise - it's a modest growth rate reduction following years of unnecessary, embarrassing and unsustainable excesses.

Read more: Blog: 'Devastating' sequester cuts: True or False?
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

The PowerPoint That Proves It?s Not Obama?s Sequester After All - The Daily Beast

Sequester PowerPoint: In 2011, John Boehner was touting the sequester.

California Republican David Dreier (R) California, Sponsored The Sequester Law in the US House with No Co-Sponsors

Obama Signing Sequester Bill "Is this the deal I would have preferred? No."

The GOP sponsored and passed the bill. Obama suggested it.

According to Obama, the sequester would represent "a huge blow to middle-class families and our economy as a whole." Obama's White House has also referred to the sequester as "devastating," saying its cuts would "imperil our economy, our national security (and) vital programs that middle class families depend on."

Sounds frightening - but is it true? Of course not. According to The Wall Street Journal "federal domestic discretionary spending soared by 84 percent with some agencies doubling and tripling their budgets" during Barack Obama's first two years in office. In fact the sequester would scale back just one of every six dollars in discretionary spending increases since 2008 - hardly a "huge blow." Also, discretionary spending in 2008 was already tremendously inflated - having increased by more than 60 percent over the previous eight years.

In other words this isn't even really a cut - "devastating" or otherwise - it's a modest growth rate reduction following years of unnecessary, embarrassing and unsustainable excesses.

The PowerPoint That Proves It?s Not Obama?s Sequester After All - The Daily Beast

California Republican David Dreier (R) California, Sponsored The Sequester Law in the US House with No Co-Sponsors

You go on believing what you will...that Obama is not a liar!

We all know the truth now. Your ramblings are inconsistent with the truth!

Why am I not surprised?

You go on believing what you will...that Obama is not a liar!

We all know the truth now. Your ramblings are inconsistent with the truth!

Why am I not surprised?

clue: Obama is not running for office He beat the whole right wing noise machine and won a second term. get over it

If anyone thought it was going to be a problem they wouldn't have all gone on vacation.

He has no mandate.

But if he can get the weak-willed Boehner led GOP House to cave in to most of his legislative agenda and wishes, then he does have the authority to lead and he will gain a modicum of "success" at least as he measures that notion. Whether what he gets passed is consistent with the restraints imposed by the Constitution is another matter.

He's President of the United States of America in a second term. You say he has no mandate.

OK

All the GOP members in Congress were elected, many with much larger margins than Obama. They all have mandates too.

The Rabbi, they most certainly do. God Bless America. :)

:clap2:

Words have meanings.

It would behoove this process if we knew -- and then actually used those words -- correctly.

Clearly many of you don't know what the word "mandate" really means.

Some of you apparently think the word is synomonous with majority.

man·date
/ˈmanˌdāt/
Noun
An official order or commission to do something: "a federal mandate".
Verb
Give (someone) authority to act in a certain way: "other colleges have mandated coed fraternities".
Synonyms
order - warrant - commission - command

Forum List

Back