Zone1 Serious question. Idols. Worship. Etc.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Maybe someone can answer? Bowing/praying/groveling to a golden calf was wrong. So what is the difference in doing the same to a man (pope), wearing a cross pendant, worshipping a piece of wood supposedly from the crusification, etc?

The first of the biblical Ten Commandments prohibits idolatry: “You shall have no other gods before me.” Several forms of idolatry have been distinguished. Gross, or overt, idolatry consists of explicit acts of reverence addressed to a person or an object—the sun, the king, an animal, a statue.

What I found in Google about idoltry. ^

People bow, kneel, worship statues. Mary, Jesus on the Cross, etc. They also "grovel to some guy that claims he speaks for God. For example, look at what happens when a pope dies..or is admitted as a new pope. The idoltry in churches of Mary, of Jesus himself. The scraping and bowing and showing love and admiration to an inanimate subject. Even wearing a cross pendant around your neck. Is this not idoltry?

I have a neighbor that is Jehovah Witness. Dennis was too, at one time, but they disfellowshipped him because he loved Halloween, Christmas, smoked, and drank booze, lol. But he still believed in their beliefs. He would not take blood if he needed it in a hospital setting for example, and he refused to wear or have any home decor in the shape of a cross. He said that cross was idoltry...and my neighbor says the same thing. To me, it just shows ones love of Christ and its a symbol of what He did for us, but to others...its idoltry although I don't think people are worshipping a pendant necklace cross.

Which made me wonder about it. Hence, coming out of self banishment to dip my toe back in the waters here. I've missed you guys.

Maybe someone can answer? Bowing/praying/groveling to a golden calf was wrong. So what is the difference in doing the same to a man (pope)

EASY:
  1. The calf is just a graven image, a piece of metal formed to resemble a shape. It is dead, inert, without life nor spirit.
  2. A Holy Man is a living embodiment, a plenary portion of the Living Spirit of God existing here on Earth sanctioned that you may learn from, talk to and go to for Divine Intervention.

Wearing a cross is important as it reminds me of what Jesus experienced for our sins. I often touch the cross throughout the day and say a small prayer. As for the pope, as with wearing a.cross or not, following him and his words is an individual choice.

Maybe someone can answer? Bowing/praying/groveling to a golden calf was wrong. So what is the difference in doing the same to a man (pope), wearing a cross pendant, worshipping a piece of wood supposedly from the crusification, etc?

The first of the biblical Ten Commandments prohibits idolatry: “You shall have no other gods before me.” Several forms of idolatry have been distinguished. Gross, or overt, idolatry consists of explicit acts of reverence addressed to a person or an object—the sun, the king, an animal, a statue.

People bow, kneel, worship statues. Mary, Jesus on the Cross, etc. They also "grovel to some guy that claims he speaks for God. For example, look at what happens when a pope dies..or is admitted as a new pope. The idoltry in churches of Mary, of Jesus himself. The scraping and bowing and showing love and admiration to an inanimate subject. Even wearing a cross pendant around your neck. Is this not idoltry?

There are Christian sects that see idolatry every where... even in a cross around the neck. Sometimes they are referred to as the plain people.

I don't follow that thinking. I'm very clear on what idolatry is to me.

You shall have no other gods before me.”

so claimed moses the liar, about their not worshiping him than their own fancy ... typical desert religion denial and wanton servitude to themselves and nothing else including the heavenly given garden they live in.

- the phony moses and their 10 commandments, one of the greatest crimes ever perpetuated on humanity of all times. of the desert religions and the congregations that support them.

Idolatry is a real problem with most if not all people. From the love of money to the love of hot flesh & everything in between including power & control, somebody somewhere has idolized it. There appears to me to be a fine line between idolatry & love but I lack the capability to know where that line is on the scale. When does the need for $$$$$ turn into idolatry of $$$$$? When does ones love of food turn into idolatry of food? Your question I have wrestled with for over half a century for I have my own hang ups that I just can't forget/let go of. Like I said above, idolatry is a real problem for most if not all folks, but WHEN does a drive, love, infatuation, obsession &/or fixation become actual idolatry???

Idolatry is a real problem with most if not all people. From the love of money to the love of hot flesh & everything in between including power & control, somebody somewhere has idolized it. There appears to me to be a fine line between idolatry & love but I lack the capability to know where that line is on the scale. When does the need for $$$$$ turn into idolatry of $$$$$? When does ones love of food turn into idolatry of food? Your question I have wrestled with for over half a century for I have my own hang ups that I just can't forget/let go of. Like I said above, idolatry is a real problem for most if not all folks, but WHEN does a drive, love, infatuation, obsession &/or fixation become actual idolatry???

Is passion the same as idolatry?

In Catholicism statues and crucifixes aren’t there to be worshipped, but to serve as a focus for prayer and meditation.

I've struggled with the same about idolizing a graven image vs worshipping the Almighty and wonder if your Dennis and neighbor may be right in that regard. IDK

I am of the mind, that it has more to do with where your heart is......loving and following God or the symbols.

Careful. SweetSue92 believes you are being self righteous starting a topic of how others worship their gods -- probably, unless she agrees with you.

Apparently you're not supposed to challenge anyone's ideas. Jesus and the apostles never did that (sarcasm)

Idolatry infiltrated the "Christian" church centuries ago:

OIP.Jv5DT9LB-UIIkbq6m8hbmgHaE9

OIP.Fri1bC16IogDXLAxEZV--AAAAA

OIP.O2qRVxkADXWCQrSvReHxHQAAAA

Forum List

Back