Sherrif Joe arms his deputies with AR-15's

ever consider it might be because of the officer gunned down last week and other death threats?

apparently the OP doesn't care about this...must bash guns and the sheriff :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I care very much for fallen officers. I have attended the funerals of two, in Tucson. I volunteer to work with them for free 12 hours per week. I paid for my own uniform, and went through 7 weeks of auxcilary training, with a test every single day.

What do YOU do for law enforcement?

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty

So, Joe, has taken America one more step toward becoming the fascist regeime that he dreams of, where it will soon be difficult to tell the difference between the federales in Mexico and law enforcement in the USA.

I am a sheriff's auxcilary volunteer in Arizona, so I support our law enforcement officers. However, a weapon such as this does not belong in an urban environment except under unusual conditions, which would call for a SWAT team. More likely than not, it would just get in the way of an officer having to draw and fire in a crisis situation. Not only does it endanger the officer in a close quarters fight, it definately endangers innocent bystanders if it is capable of firing three rounds on autromatic. The article does not say whether they are automatic or not, but I assume that they are, because there would be little reason to upgrad a semi-automatic pistol to a semi-automatic rifle in an urban environment.

So, at age 81, Joe has determined that there simply should not be a limit on what an officer of the law can use. Years ago, most law officers were barred from high speed auto chases on crowded streets, because the chances of them killing an innocent citizen was greater than their capturing the bad guy. Joe doesn't think that way.

Care to quote where the article says officers will not carry hand guns? In fact it says just the opposite, it says they must carry handguns 24 hours a day.

The AR-15 is just another tool probably either replacing or augmenting the shotgun that most officers have access to.

3 officers murdered in 2 years is a lot. Drug cartels carry all kind of weapons. As do the coyotes bringing in the illegals and drugs.

Now be specific quote for us where the rifle will REPLACE the handgun and then be specific and quote for us where it is fully automatic. Not even the M-16 is fully automatic. And there is nothing wrong with 3 round burst mode for an officer to have.

1. care to quote where I said that officers will NOT carry handguns? Nor, did I say that it will replace handguns. In fact, I believe that in an emergency situation, the officer will ALWAYS reach for his handgun. I said that this weapon is likely to get in the way of an officer if he is ivolved in a crisis situation. If they just park it in the back of the patrol car, it would NOT get in the way. It also will propbably never be used in an emergency.

2. Read my post again. When you do, you will see that I specificly said that I did not know if it is automatic or not. If it fires three rounds on automatic, it is too dangerous to use in an urban environment. That is my firm opinion. I recognize that yours may differ.

So the shotgun in the front seat is a danger to the officer too? Or is that different?

A shotgun will stop a riot by a mob or a gang.

An assault rifle is good for taking out a perp in a hostage situation, or the rare event of a mass shooter. Swat teams are trained to do that. Every deputy is not going to be proficent to deal with that, just because he has a rifle. if he is shooting at someone beyond the range of his pistol, he probably is not even close enough to determine if he is a perp or an armed citizen trying to protect himself from a perp.

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty

So, Joe, has taken America one more step toward becoming the fascist regeime that he dreams of, where it will soon be difficult to tell the difference between the federales in Mexico and law enforcement in the USA.

I am a sheriff's auxcilary volunteer in Arizona, so I support our law enforcement officers. However, a weapon such as this does not belong in an urban environment except under unusual conditions, which would call for a SWAT team. More likely than not, it would just get in the way of an officer having to draw and fire in a crisis situation. Not only does it endanger the officer in a close quarters fight, it definately endangers innocent bystanders if it is capable of firing three rounds on autromatic. The article does not say whether they are automatic or not, but I assume that they are, because there would be little reason to upgrad a semi-automatic pistol to a semi-automatic rifle in an urban environment.

So, at age 81, Joe has determined that there simply should not be a limit on what an officer of the law can use. Years ago, most law officers were barred from high speed auto chases on crowded streets, because the chances of them killing an innocent citizen was greater than their capturing the bad guy. Joe doesn't think that way.

Are things different in Arizona than they are here?

Our Sheriff's Department doesn't have jurisdiction in the city, only in the county.

The City Police Department has jurisdiction in the city.

So what does this have to do with an urban situation?

Marisopa County, AZ is very urban. It includes all the unincorporated communities in the suburbs of Phenoix.

Ah, I see.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not a big fan of militarizing police officers.

That said, is there a need for these weapons?

I know that the LAPD issues an Urban Police Rifle (assault rifle) to qualified regular officers.

Last edited:
I would issue M-14's to sgt and above it fires a7.62 round. More power more stopping power. It will knock down what it hits. The AR-15 fires the .223 barely bigger then a .22. It's fame is that it travels at a high rate of speed to do real damage if it hits. But unless it ricochets in the body it has no real stopping power.

I love my M1A1 but I like the AR's too. M-14 is too long though. Wouldn't fit in a car as well as the AR.

I would issue M-14's to sgt and above it fires a7.62 round. More power more stopping power. It will knock down what it hits. The AR-15 fires the .223 barely bigger then a .22. It's fame is that it travels at a high rate of speed to do real damage if it hits. But unless it ricochets in the body it has no real stopping power.

I love my M1A1 but I like the AR's too. M-14 is too long though. Wouldn't fit in a car as well as the AR.

The M-14 would be carried in the trunk. With 3 dead officers in 2 years I would say the local sheriff is responding to the issue.

Meanwhile..

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ariz-sheriffs-employee-shot-wounded-driveway-19903746

Arizona Sheriff's Employee Shot in Driveway

I fucking cant stand that old headline whore. He is nausating. He really is.

ever consider it might be because of the officer gunned down last week and other death threats?

apparently the OP doesn't care about this...must bash guns and the sheriff :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I care very much for fallen officers. I have attended the funerals of two, in Tucson. I volunteer to work with them for free 12 hours per week. I paid for my own uniform, and went through 7 weeks of auxcilary training, with a test every single day.

What do YOU do for law enforcement?

yet here you are bashing him and not mentioning the reason, deaths of police officers

i don't what you claim, your words before i brought it up speak volumes

Forum List

Back