Shocker: Eighty percent of NYC graduates unable to read

It's not unique to New York. Even down here in bright red Texas, a huge number of the local high school graduates must take some sort of non-credit, remedial classes before they can enroll in college and start earning credits toward graduation.

However...two questions arise:

1. Are the local colleges testing incoming students at the level which public school ought to deliver, or are they expecting more than the public schools are supposed to do? In other words, what level of high school education are they demanding? Take reading for instance. IF (and I don't know) public schools are tasked to turn out students who can at least read at the 9th grade level, are the colleges demanding 10th or 11th or 12th grade level?

2. The second question is related to the first: Are the colleges requiring remedial classes as a way to generate more income and keep students enrolled longer, or is it really necessary? We know that colleges, even public ones, have turned into revenue generating businesses and that many of them have budget problems. Would not requiring students to take remedial courses because the public schools have "failed" them be a good way to make more bucks? It could easily be done by hiking the minimum scholastic standards to just above what the public schools are tasked to produce.

I'm not saying that does happen, just that it could and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Those questions might well be asked of New York too.

Sure it's not unique to New York it's every where, but the Bloomburg is an ass that needed to be shown for that. He's a failure.

It's not unique to New York. Even down here in bright red Texas, a huge number of the local high school graduates must take some sort of non-credit, remedial classes before they can enroll in college and start earning credits toward graduation.

1. Are the local colleges testing incoming students at the level which public school ought to deliver, or are they expecting more than the public schools are supposed to do? In other words, what level of high school education are they demanding? Take reading for instance. IF (and I don't know) public schools are tasked to turn out students who can at least read at the 9th grade level, are the colleges demanding 10th or 11th or 12th grade level?

2. The second question is related to the first: Are the colleges requiring remedial classes as a way to generate more income and keep students enrolled longer, or is it really necessary? We know that colleges, even public ones, have turned into revenue generating businesses and that many of them have budget problems. Would not requiring students to take remedial courses because the public schools have "failed" them be a good way to make more bucks? It could easily be done by hiking the minimum scholastic standards to just above what the public schools are tasked to produce.

I'm not saying that does happen, just that it could and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Sure it's not unique to New York it's every where, but the Bloomburg is an ass that needed to be shown for that. He's a failure.

Bloomberg has little to do with the people of college age. It would have more to do with his conservative, Republican predessessor.

Bloomberg has little to do with the people of college age. It would have more to do with his conservative, Republican predessessor.

You didn't read one word in the link did you?

Critics pointed out that just 13 percent of black and Latino students graduate from New York City schools with the skills required for community college – and overall, 80 percent of all graduates lack these skills.http://rt.com/usa/nyc-graduates-unable-to-read-011/
I blame negative influence of irresponsible parents. Upon birth, all children should be made Wards of the State, that is how to solve this problem.

No really..the title was
Eighty percent of NYC graduates unable to read.

Is that true?

No.

Hence the charge that the TITLE was false is TRUE.

Well sparky how many highschool graduates in new york city are able too read?

You really do have difficulty admitting that you made a mistake, don't you?

The irony about that foible is that it makes you look like an even greater fool to deny what is obvious to anyone who looks.

People would think more of you if you could just be honest and say..." Yeah, you're right. I did make a mistake"

We ALL make mistakes, dude.

No really..the title was

Is that true?

No.

Hence the charge that the TITLE was false is TRUE.

The irony about that foible is that it makes you look like an even greater fool to deny what is obvious to anyone who looks.

People would think more of you if you could just be honest and say..." Yeah, you're right. I did make a mistake"

I asked you a question that is not an answer too that question.

Critics pointed out that just 13 percent of black and Latino students graduate from New York City schools with the skills required for community college – and overall, 80 percent of all graduates lack these skills.http://rt.com/usa/nyc-graduates-unable-to-read-011/
I blame negative influence of irresponsible parents. Upon birth, all children should be made Wards of the State, that is how to solve this problem.

You've fallen off the edge haven't you?

How too fix the educational system in America point out the problem make changes too by pass that problem educational system like what Mayor bloomburg supports is the problem. Get rid of the bastard.

Now you just aren't making sense. I quoted from the article you linked to clarify why your thread title was wrong, and now in some bizarre flailing defense that defies common sense you are saying I didn't read one word of it.

You either read that article and lied about what it said, or you are too stupid to comprehend it.

Now you just aren't making sense. I quoted from the article you linked to clarify why your thread title was wrong, and now in some bizarre flailing defense that defies common sense you are saying I didn't read one word of it.

You either read that article and lied about what it said, or you are too stupid to comprehend it.

OK dumb fuck you didn't not read the god damn link did you?
I posted two fucking link dumb ass

Yes, you had a deflecting question, that is true.

A question that, frankly, has nothing to do with the fact that you either made a mistake or choose to lie and now refuse to acknowledge your intellectual dishonesty.

You made THIS assertion

You linked to an article that does not support that assertion.

Now you are seeking to deflect the topic away from your mistake to some other issue.

Ain't working, dude.

You're busted.

A question that, frankly, has nothing to do with the fact that you either made a mistake or choose to lie and now refuse to acknowledge your intellectual dishonesty.

You made THIS assertion

Now you are seeking to deflect the topic away from your mistake to some other issue.

Ain't working, dude.

You're busted.
So the thread title really should be: BigReb proves he is unable to read.

Nothing says they are unable to read, they are referring to a preparatory baseline for community college level coursework. That isn't the same as what you claimed, that 80% are unable to read.

You clearly belong in that 80%, Lennie Small.

You made THIS assertion

Ain't working, dude.

You're busted.

Still haven't answered the question that was originally asked of you
BUSTED
Why are you defending teachers now but will not defend their right too carry on school grounds?

Nothing says they are unable to read, they are referring to a preparatory baseline for community college level coursework. That isn't the same as what you claimed, that 80% are unable to read.

You clearly belong in that 80%, Lennie Small.

Keep reading maybe you'll learn how too comprehend.

Keep reading maybe you'll learn how too comprehend.

lol go go big tough gun owner who obviously can't read, yay BIGREB! You are super poster! Duhh.

12541032069321711.jpg

Forum List

Back