Should a bully be criminally charged if their victim commits suicide...

Should a bully be criminally charged if their victim commits suicide...

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Vanilla wafers

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The manager of a Missouri Dairy Queen was charged with involuntary manslaughter after a jury ruled the December suicide of her 17-year-old employee was the result of constant bullying he experienced at both school and work.

Missouri teen’s suicide ruled involuntary manslaughter
Here's the gist of the story. The manager was a douche, and this 17 year old was also bullied at school. He killed himself at home in his front yard.

In your opinion, should the manager face criminal charges?

The only possible charge would be if the harassment was to a level of criminality. Involuntary manslaughter is a stretch. This will probably be overturned on appeal.

The guy should have requested a bench trial, surprised he didn't, or at least his lawyer didn't.

The person that is most responsible are the parents.

If a kid commits suicide because of bullies, that is the failure of the parents, and their punishment is simply, losing their child.

The world is harsh, it is cruel. There are mean, nasty people out there. There always will be.

It is the job of parents to instill a sense of self-worth and self esteem. Too often in our society today, we are foisted off the illusion by modern culture that our worth needs to come from society, our peers, our job, our accomplishments, the approval of others, etc.

It can never come from there. As long as we continually strive to have it come to us externally from such sources, we will never find peace of mind or long lasting happiness. The only result will be anxiety, depression, loneliness, self-loathing, unhappiness, etc.

If this kid had any of tools of self-esteem or self-worth, he would have known that he could have filed a complaint at work or could have found a new job.

If he had any of these things, he would have known that how he was viewed by his peers at school was only a temporary situation, and he would have found joy in other aspects of life. He would have known that his opinion of himself was as valuable as those around him, especially if that opinion was the same as his parents.

Actually the greater majority of teenagers think their parents, and their ways & teachings, are the enemy at that age. The only opinions teenagers care about are from their peers & others outside of the home. Parents can do everything 'right' yet once in a while, it's still not enough.

The manager of a Missouri Dairy Queen was charged with involuntary manslaughter after a jury ruled the December suicide of her 17-year-old employee was the result of constant bullying he experienced at both school and work.

Missouri teen’s suicide ruled involuntary manslaughter
Here's the gist of the story. The manager was a douche, and this 17 year old was also bullied at school. He killed himself at home in his front yard.

In your opinion, should the manager face criminal charges?

In this case, I do not see enough for criminal charges. Enough to fire her ass but not jail

I have seen cases where bullies egged on a suicide and should be charged. There was a case where a kid was trying to asphyxiate himself in a car and called a girl who told him to stop being a coward and get back in the car

I think this is a good case to showcase, that the political tainted clinical psychology industry will not allow you to know, that bullying has two components. First the bully is looking for slow people to jump on, second the slow people look for bullies to stabilize them. This is how domestic violence is built too. As well as this is how children are formulated to be bullies and victims. I had at least one bully teacher too, she was pushing her boundaries constantly, was amazing to watch. I think that such bullies could easily be put to prison. But there will never be money in putting the victims somewhere. So the bullies will keep coming faster than what prisons can take in.

The development of individual identity is very poor in many cultures, and truly lamentable in America, where one might expect it to be among the best. Education, in the broadest sense of the term, needs vast qualitative improvement. Children just do not understand how language works, how the human brain works, what it means to act and take responsibility in life.

I think the supervisor was being a bitch and abusive to an employee. I don't see a direct link to her encouraging a suicide.
It opens the door to criminal charges against someone who may have been abusive to someone who eventually kills themselves

The manager made him clean the floor lying down! She threw food at him and ridiculed him. Where were the other employees and why didn't the contact corporate office? Where were the parents when the boy was being bullied at school?

Bullies have to be held responsible, but that means fired from the job. The company or school system should then be responsible for counseling and be sued on behalf of the bullied person.

A year in prison may just be what the bully needs. Let him meet Bubba.
why didn't that worker just quit and walk out?

no one was forcing him to work there

The manager made him clean the floor lying down! She threw food at him and ridiculed him. Where were the other employees and why didn't the contact corporate office? Where were the parents when the boy was being bullied at school?

Bullies have to be held responsible, but that means fired from the job. The company or school system should then be responsible for counseling and be sued on behalf of the bullied person.

From a criminal charges standpoint you are right

The victim had a choice........should I quit or should I kill myself?

false dichotomy since those were not his only 2 choices

The two most obvious

He also could have chosen to punch her in the face

Maybe his parents did.

The two most obvious

Or report her to her supervisor if he wasn't as slow as as molasses. I suspect the reason he was being bullied so much was more Darwinian than anything else.

Maybe his parents did.
That's the only thing I can figure out. I suspect his parents had him on some serious medication as well to control behavior they didn't want to deal with to make parenting easier.

I imagine that he had the most evil and absolutely lazy and worst parents in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an example of Darwinian principles at there best. . . though that makes me sound very mean spirited and this IS a tragedy. I do feel terrible for this kid.

That is why I believe, if anyone should be investigated, it is probably the kids parents. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he only has one.

The two most obvious

Or report her to her supervisor if he wasn't as slow as as molasses. I suspect the reason he was being bullied so much was more Darwinian than anything else.
Blame the victim

The two most obvious

Blame the victim
No.

Maybe his parents did.
That's the only thing I can figure out. I suspect his parents had him on some serious medication as well to control behavior they didn't want to deal with to make parenting easier.

I imagine that he had the most evil and absolutely lazy and worst parents in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an example of Darwinian principles at there best. . . though that makes me sound very mean spirited and this IS a tragedy. I do feel terrible for this kid.

That is why I believe, if anyone should be investigated, it is probably the kids parents. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he only has one.
I find fault with the parent (s) as well. They didn't have communication with their son or didn't care. Having one parent is not necessarily a bad option.

No. Suicide is a complicated issue, I don't think one persons actions should ever be responsible for it.
I'm surprised the school administration didn't handle it better.

Victims should always have a neutral advocate to investigate everything that happened and involve the law when necessary. Who would ever believe that smiling woman in the pic could ever do something so horrible.

...if only that kid knew how many really good people are out there.

The two most obvious

and get a criminal record for assault

The two most obvious

Sometimes giving a good punch in the face is therapeutic

The two most obvious

Sometimes giving a good punch in the face is therapeutic

uh huh

Forum List

Back