Should America Have Troops Stationed Overseas?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
As for me, I'm sure that America should not have troops stationed overseas because it attracts a lot of hostility, making themselves a target of terrorism and jeopardising the safety of hundreds of millions of Americans. I'm not saying that America should be 'selfish' and not take up responsibility of fighting terrorism. Fighting terrorism IS important and this can be done at home, in a more subtle manner without stationing troops overseas, for example by cooperating with allies.

Looking at 'original intent', probably 'no'. Seeing as it is no longer 1776, the answer must be more nuanced, as with many other aspects touched by 'original intent', such as arms, etc.

YES. With exceptions. I currently view Turkey's President as a potential risk to stay there by his rhetoric. He has openly stated he promises to attack and capture Jerusalem.....................While that may be just bold talk, should that actually occur we have 5000 military and their families there at our air base. Given his talk, I would look seriously at pulling out.

YES. With exceptions. I currently view Turkey's President as a potential risk to stay there by his rhetoric. He has openly stated he promises to attack and capture Jerusalem.....................While that may be just bold talk, should that actually occur we have 5000 military and their families there at our air base. Given his talk, I would look seriously at pulling out.

?????????????

You think we have troops stationed abroad to run away if something happens that might require action?

If dumbo kept them In Iraq thousands of people would have been alive today, hope the little jiffy lube man from Chicago sleeps well at night knowing he is responsible.
Our military is supposed to protect us not people in other countries

If dumbo kept them In Iraq thousands of people would have been alive today, hope the little jiffy lube man from Chicago sleeps well at night knowing he is responsible.

You really are clueless, forward deployment is one of the greatest deterrents possible, without it there would have been more wars. It's just that simple.

You really are clueless, forward deployment is one of the greatest deterrents possible, without it there would have been more wars. It's just that simple.

No one in the countries we are currently stationed is going to be attacking America any time soon now are they?

No one in the countries we are currently stationed is going to be attacking America any time soon now are they?

And this is no longer the 1950s we now have the ability to attack anyone anywhere in the world without needing deployed forces stationed in other countries.

It's time we pulled back and worried less about protecting other countries let them protect themselves

Ever thought there is a reason for that, what do you think would happen in Korea if we pulled out?

Time to bring them all home, but of course we all know the elites and the military industrial complex will not allow it. The nation is heading for bankruptcy...the US military can't be the world's policeman anymore but it will and the USA will go the way of Rome.

Having American troops everywhere around the world LEADS to conflict...our corrupt political class and numerous government spy agencies can't be trusted to prevent war...they want war.

War is the health of the STATE!!!

And this is no longer the 1950s we now have the ability to attack anyone anywhere in the world without needing deployed forces stationed in other countries.

It's time we pulled back and worried less about protecting other countries let them protect themselves

Never been in the military have ya? As you see in Iraq and Syria, air strikes without boots on the ground mean very little. Do you have any idea what it takes to move an armored battalion, artillery battalion or even a heavy combat engineer battalion 1,000 miles on land much less 3-6,000 miles overseas. It don't happen overnight. Forward deployment of equipment without the soldiers is better than nothing, but you still need people to maintain the equipment.

?????????????

You think we have troops stationed abroad to run away if something happens that might require action?
Not at all. This air base is in the middle of Turkey. The current President has vowed to attack Jerusalem. Whether he would actually do so is the main question, and point. Turkey is a member of NATO...............However, should they turn and attack Israel one day they could use this base as collateral against assistance to Israel.

I doubt they would ever do so..............but I don't have all the information to make that kind of judgement. Which is my concern. It would be a NATO Ally versus Israel should he ever do as he has claimed he would do...............

That is my concern.

Erdogan Of Turkey Just Gave A Speech Asking His People To Elect His Party Because He Aims To Invade Jerusalem - Walid Shoebat

Nothing in the western media covered what the Turkish Anadulu Agency released, when Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave a speech this Friday with a strange message riddled with statements that were predicted in the Bible regarding Antichrist. From his desire to invade Jerusalem and to Muhammad’s claim to have ascended to heaven from there, Erdogan called on all Turks to refocus on the Ottoman goal to re-conquer Jerusalem for Islam:

“Unfortunately we the Muslims lost our aim to head towards Jerusalem. The water of our eyes froze making us blind, and our hearts that was destined to beat for Jerusalem is now instead conditioned for rivalry being in a state of war with each other.”

Erdogan’s desire to end strife and unite Sunnis and Shiites to aim towards Jerusalem was made in the state of Erzincan, central Turkey, in which he expressed his desire for the place to become suitable for Al-Isra’ Wal-M’iraj (Muhammad’s ascension to heaven and descent to Jerusalem) where he claimed is the cause of goodness: “descending from heaven over all Muslim nations”.

Erdogan says that he wants Spain. He says he is some reincarnation of Tariq Bin Ziad, the conqueror of Spain, the tyrant Alp Arslan, and Saladin. These are the Muslim leaders who fought Christendom and Saladin was the one who conquered Jerusalem. He wants to declare war on the strongest fortresses to advance his foreign God, Allah, through warfare.

To my point.............There is a retard in power in Turkey.............who is dreaming of the 12th Imam and the conquering of the area...........Even to the point of saying he wants to take over Spain by force.

So yeah, I have a concern with our base in Turkey while this Turkey is in power.

The correct answer is yes. Forward deployed troops give us quick response to regional issues and also lets our allies know we are close by. Unfortunately, as in the case of Benghazi, our forward deployed units were not used properly which is what happens when idiot Democrats are in charge. That will change in 2016 though.

As for me, I'm sure that America should not have troops stationed overseas because it attracts a lot of hostility, making themselves a target of terrorism and jeopardising the safety of hundreds of millions of Americans. I'm not saying that America should be 'selfish' and not take up responsibility of fighting terrorism. Fighting terrorism IS important and this can be done at home, in a more subtle manner without stationing troops overseas, for example by cooperating with allies.

We cannot fight terrorism at home, not much anyways.

Now, do we need troops in SOuth Korea? NO.

Do we need to be a part of NATO? No.

It also deters many of our allies enemies, knowing we are close by.
The correct answer is yes. Forward deployed troops give us quick response to regional issues and also lets our allies know we are close by. Unfortunately, as in the case of Benghazi, our forward deployed units were not used properly which is what happens when idiot Democrats are in charge. That will change in 2016 though.

Forum List

Back