Should Blacks Pay Reparations To Whites?

This is amusing, but pointless. NOBODY owes anyone reparations, and, besides, there is no rational way to figure out the balance, not in any way. We live. We suffer now. None of us choses our past. Deal with it.

Would somebody tell me who is asking for reparations?I want to kick 'em.

This is amusing, but pointless. NOBODY owes anyone reparations, and, besides, there is no rational way to figure out the balance, not in any way. We live. We suffer now. None of us choses our past. Deal with it.

Ok, you can start by kicking the shit out of Louis Farrakhan.

But, but, but . . .

The Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about states rights.

(At least that's what the rednecks want us to believe.)

It wasn't... Lincoln brought the slavery issue into it when the North was losing steam. Read a history book. And I was born and raised in New York in case you were going to attack me like you did others by calling me a redneck. Rednecks?... Chalk up another example of the oh so tolerant left.

Sorry Ms. Poit, but I'd venture to guess that you couldn't kick a tire, much less someone seeking reparations for something they never endured.

How about that asshole Louis Fara-con, he screams about reparations every time he whines to the lemmings that follow his racist ass.
And Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton...

When was the last time Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson asked for reparations?

The issue of reparations got some media buzz 20 years ago. It went nowhere

Since then, the only ones keeping the issue alive are a bunch of asshole racist internet poster

2001 - NPR reported on past and current efforts for reparations.
NPR: Slave Reparations

2002 -.SocialFunds.com -- Late last month, African-American attorney Deadria Farmer-Paellmann filed a class-action lawsuit in a Brooklyn federal court seeking reparation of profits gained through slavery by three prominent U.S. companies. The 21-page lawsuit charged Hartford-based insurer Aetna Inc. (ticker: AET), Virginia-based railway company CSX Corp. (CSX), and FleetBoston Financial Corp. (FBF) with specific economic enrichment from slavery. The lawsuit represents a new tactic in the reparations movement, which in the past sought compensation from state and federal governments, by refocusing responsibility on corporate America.
Federal Lawsuit Seeks Slave Reparations from Three Companies

And John Conyers has not given up:
2009 - He reintroduced his legislation for study of reparations yet again as he has done in very new Congress for 20 years. So far the legislation has gone nowhere.
factcheck.org : Slavery Reparations?

2003 - I think that affirmative action is going to be the first point, and reparations, certainly, is something I support and am able to deal with in any forum--Al Sharpton
Al Sharpton on the Issues

Candidate Obama in 2008 was opposed to reparations. But there are rumors, only rumors, that he might be in favor of reparations in a second term.
Would Obama Support Reparations in a Second Term? | FrontPage Magazine

2013: "Congress must act now beyond the symbol of medals to the substance of justice and compensation," Jackson wrote in his column. "The victims of Sept. 16, 1963, and the victims of Sept. 11, 2001, are justly due reparations. Sarah Collins Rudolph is in the lineage of those to whom our nation is in debt."--Jesse Jackson
Jesse Jackson: Reparations due to 'fifth little girl' who survived '63 bombing | al.com

All this is to say that the issue continues to be alive and well, and RW can't stick the 'racist rightwing' or even 'racist asshole internet posters' with the reason it is. :)

We live in a country where the sins of the father are not visited upon the son. This isn't the middle east. The child of a murderer doesn't go to jail because of his heritage. I'm aware that fringe elements in society say stupid things but reparations will never happen.

Acknowledging sins and repenting is not the same as paying reparations. A sincere apology goes a long way.

Not to the likes of you, bub. YOU try apologizing for being a hateful bigot and maybe people will lighten up on you.
And I didn't own slaves so I have not a damn thing to apologize for. Nor did my ancestors. We had our own bullshit dished to us. Hubby's family is Native American. Mine is Irish and German. So blacks are not the only ones that were treated badly.

You're a jerk. You owe us ALL an apology.

And Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton...

Since then, the only ones keeping the issue alive are a bunch of asshole racist internet poster

2002 -.SocialFunds.com -- Late last month, African-American attorney Deadria Farmer-Paellmann filed a class-action lawsuit in a Brooklyn federal court seeking reparation of profits gained through slavery by three prominent U.S. companies. The 21-page lawsuit charged Hartford-based insurer Aetna Inc. (ticker: AET), Virginia-based railway company CSX Corp. (CSX), and FleetBoston Financial Corp. (FBF) with specific economic enrichment from slavery. The lawsuit represents a new tactic in the reparations movement, which in the past sought compensation from state and federal governments, by refocusing responsibility on corporate America.

2009 - He reintroduced his legislation for study of reparations yet again as he has done in very new Congress for 20 years. So far the legislation has gone nowhere.

2003 - I think that affirmative action is going to be the first point, and reparations, certainly, is something I support and am able to deal with in any forum--Al Sharpton

Candidate Obama in 2008 was opposed to reparations. But there are rumors, only rumors, that he might be in favor of reparations in a second term.

2013: "Congress must act now beyond the symbol of medals to the substance of justice and compensation," Jackson wrote in his column. "The victims of Sept. 16, 1963, and the victims of Sept. 11, 2001, are justly due reparations. Sarah Collins Rudolph is in the lineage of those to whom our nation is in debt."--Jesse Jackson
Jesse Jackson: Reparations due to 'fifth little girl' who survived '63 bombing | al.com

All this is to say that the issue continues to be alive and well, and RW can't stick the 'racist rightwing' or even 'racist asshole internet posters' with the reason it is. :)

So it hasn't been brought up in ten years

I can see why we need a thread on it

For the south, it was. For the north, slavery and federalism. I guess you should try thinking next time.

Read the secession papers from the southern states...within the writings you will read over and over again that slavery was at the forefront.

States rights? Yeah...states rights to own slaves.

So it hasn't been brought up in ten years

I can see why we need a thread on it

You don't read well do you. Or maybe it's a math thing. But oh well.

We live in a country where the sins of the father are not visited upon the son. This isn't the middle east. The child of a murderer doesn't go to jail because of his heritage. I'm aware that fringe elements in society say stupid things but reparations will never happen.

Acknowledging sins and repenting is not the same as paying reparations. A sincere apology goes a long way.

What would the apology be for? Do you mean people apologizing for their ancestors? My parents were from Canada and their parents were from Ireland. Should I apologize because there were slave owners who had the same color skin as I? Should the black community apologize for O.J.? I understand acknowledging the immorality and evil of slavery but I don't understand why an apology for the actions of strangers is required, or even wanted.

Not to the likes of you, bub. YOU try apologizing for being a hateful bigot and maybe people will lighten up on you.
And I didn't own slaves so I have not a damn thing to apologize for. Nor did my ancestors. We had our own bullshit dished to us. Hubby's family is Native American. Mine is Irish and German. So blacks are not the only ones that were treated badly.

You're a jerk. You owe us ALL an apology.

And even if your ancestors did own slaves--at least one of mine did--what part of that would any of us have now?

From the words of Walter Williams, a descendant of slaves brought from somewhere on the Ivory Coast:

. . . .We might also recognize that a large percentage of today's Americans, be they of European, Asian, African or Latin ancestry, don't even go back three or four generations. Are they to be held accountable and taxed for slavery and why?

Then there's the fact that white slave owners aren't the only villains in the piece. In Africa, Moslems dominated the slave trade in the 18th and 19th centuries. Africans also engaged in slave trade with Europeans. In fact, there was plantation slavery in some parts of Africa, such as the Sudan, Zanzibar and Egypt. Thus, a natural question arises: Do reparations advocates hold those who sold blacks into slavery subject to reparations payments? After all slavery, of the scale seen in the western hemisphere, would have been all but impossible without the help of Africans and Arabs. Incidentally, President Clinton apologizing for slavery in Africa, of all places, is stupid -- apologizing to descendants of slave traders for slavery in America.

Though it's not politically correct to say, today's blacks benefitted immensely from the horrors suffered by our ancestors. You say: "What do you mean, Williams? Would you run that by us?" Most black Americans are in the solid middle class. In fact, if we totaled the income black Americans earned each year, and thought of ourselves as a separate nation, we'd be the 14th or 15th richest nation. Even the 34 percent of blacks considered to be poor are fairly well off by world standards. Had there not been slavery, and today's blacks were born in Africa instead of the United States, we'd be living in the same poverty that today's Africans live in and under the same brutal regimes.

If reparations were to be made, then what? Would reparations payments accomplish what the 6 trillion dollars spent since 1965 on the War on Poverty didn't? Let's face the fact that there's not one thing anyone can do to change the past. There's a lot we can do about the future. Dwelling on the past comes at the expense of preparing for the future. . . .
Walter Williams

Bump...
Bernie Sanders Will Apologize for Slavery, Offer Reparations
April 7, 2016
Daniel Greenfield
bernie_sanders_hey_kids2b_1.jpg

Bernie Sanders has no shot whatsoever with black voters no matter how he humiliates himself. But that won't stop him from trying...

Bernie Sanders committed tonight to formally apologizing for slavery on behalf of the United States if he becomes president.

Sanders told heavily black audience that Tindley Temple United Methodist Church, 'There's nothing that anybody can do to undo the deaths and misery, how many people we don't even know who died on the way over here in the ships.'

To be fair, Bernie Sanders doesn't know much of anything, from how he's going to break up the banks to the casualty numbers in Gaza. He's just like a dog chasing the White House. He wouldn't know what to do if he caught it. Except apologize for an event that his ancestors weren't even in the country for.

Bernie Sanders Will Apologize for Slavery, Offer Reparations

625,000 men died fighting the civil war, almost all were white. More than half of them were Union soldiers. These men gave their lives and the beneficiaries of their sacrifice were slaves, who gained their freedom as a result. Should they not be required to pay reparations to the descendants of those men who gave their lives so that blacks could enjoy the freedom and prosperity they enjoy in today's society?
This is why its so hard for me to take white people seriously. What an utterly fucking idiotic post. :laugh:

625,000 men died fighting the civil war, almost all were white. More than half of them were Union soldiers. These men gave their lives and the beneficiaries of their sacrifice were slaves, who gained their freedom as a result. Should they not be required to pay reparations to the descendants of those men who gave their lives so that blacks could enjoy the freedom and prosperity they enjoy in today's society?
This is why its so hard for me to take white people seriously. What an utterly fucking idiotic post. :laugh:
Yeah? What, exactly is not accurate about any of that? Be specific and back it up.

Yeah? What, exactly is not accurate about any of that? Be specific and back it up.
Yes cave chimp.

First you tell me when in the history of the US military has anyone paid the descendants of soldiers that died fighting for anything. I knew you were a dumb monkey but this takes the cake.
laugh.gif

Yes cave chimp.

First you tell me when in the history of the US military has anyone paid the descendants of soldiers that died fighting for anything. I knew you were a dumb monkey but this takes the cake.
laugh.gif
Almost as silly as you asking for reparations for something that was never done to you, right, porch monkey?

Yes cave chimp.

laugh.gif
Almost as silly as you asking for reparations for something that was never done to you, right, porch monkey?
I never asked for reparations cave chimp. I see you couldnt answer my question. Youre a dumb melanin lacking monkey but until just now I didnt really know just how fucking dumb you were..
laugh.gif

But, but, but . . .

The Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about states rights.

(At least that's what the rednecks want us to believe.)

It wasn't... Lincoln brought the slavery issue into it when the North was losing steam. Read a history book. And I was born and raised in New York in case you were going to attack me like you did others by calling me a redneck. Rednecks?... Chalk up another example of the oh so tolerant left.
Bullshit. The only reason slavery was brought into it was to punish the crackas where it hurt most. If it was about slavery for the north why was slavery still allowed in the states that sided with the Union like West Virginia?

Forum List

Back