Should Fleeing Motorcylists in High-Speed Chases Be Shot By Police ?

If he is fleeing from a crime in which he used a weapon, sure, it is.

And if the speeding is a present danger to life and limb of the public and the cyclist won't pull over, sure, it is.

Police do not have the authority to shoot people based on the crime they were alleged to have committed. The only time a fleeing felon can be shot is when the Officer believes his life or the lives of innocent people are in danger.

police do not have the authority to shoot people based on the crime they were alleged to have committed. The only time a fleeing felon can be shot is when the officer believes his life or the lives of innocent people are in danger.

bingo!!!

Right up until the time that YOU are in a car that is obliterated by a larger vehicle, in a crash caused by a speeding motorcyclist, which would have been avoided if the loon had been shot off his bike.

It's a pretty tough case for a Police Officer to defend himself for killing a fleeing motorcyclist with the defense that the biker might have caused a big vehicle to crash into a little vehicle potentially killing the (follow this?) occupant of the smaller vehicle.

How about - they shouldn't be chased in the first place? Which is more important - that some cop's ego remains intact and a kid gets a speeding ticket or that someone, quite possibly, is seriously injured or killed?

Right up until the time that YOU are in a car that is obliterated by a larger vehicle, in a crash caused by a speeding motorcyclist, which would have been avoided if the loon had been shot off his bike.

It's a pretty tough case for a Police Officer to defend himself for killing a fleeing motorcyclist with the defense that the biker might have caused a big vehicle to crash into a little vehicle potentially killing the (follow this?) occupant of the smaller vehicle.

Maybe as laws stand now, but that's whyIi posed the question, with the idea that jurisdictions should enact the principle that cops should do this. And that becoming law, I see no challenge to any cop doing this, as the speeding motorcyclist has a very high chance of causing serious, if not fatal, accidents.

How about - they shouldn't be chased in the first place? Which is more important - that some cop's ego remains intact and a kid gets a speeding ticket or that someone, quite possibly, is seriously injured or killed?

I'm talking about a speeding, reckless, possibly drunk as well, motorcyclist (who already is speeding through traffic - whether being chased or not). Has nothing to do with egos or tickets. It has to do with preventing innocent motorists from being killed, because of one jerk on a motorcycle.

Or if the loon in the pursuing police unit decided not to pursue in the first place.

NO, because this is about a hypothetical of a crash caused by a speeding motorcyle.

So there's 2 scenarios >>

1. The speeding, reckless motorcyclist caused a crash, and people get hurt or killed.

2. The cop takes out the speeding, reckless motorcyclist before that crash occurs, thereby preventing those people from getting hurt or killed. Got it ?

Yes, just as I feel lethal force is warranted for high speed car chases as well.

Should we start shooting shoplifters too?

Shoplifters are not an immediate threat to others.
Do you want to set a precedent for killing people for what the "might do"?

If someone has so little regard for others right to life I have no problem with using lethal force to stop them. I am not talking about specifically trying to kill them, but right now it is illegal to shoot tires out. I would lift that ban so long as the officers involved are using the proper ammunition and have the proper training to take the shot.

Please note, I don't think it's suitable in every situation. But in certain ones I think it is proper.

Should we start shooting shoplifters too?

Shoplifters are not an immediate threat to others.
Do you want to set a precedent for killing people for what the "might do"?

FALSE PREMISE! The precedent already exists. Do you see cops walking around without guns ? Do you think they have them to not use them ?

They use them everyday across America for what suspects might do. They shoot suspects when they see suspect is a threat and armed with a gun. What would you have them do. Wait until they've been shot, and then shoot back ? (IF they're still alive) Cops shoot in self-defense on what armed suspects might do. Same principle applies with the speeding motorcylist, and a lot of people would say it's not what he might do, it is a matter of WHEN he'll do it. And he's already DOING it, by speeding into traffic and driving recklessly. Did you watch the video ?

Forum List

Back