Should Fleeing Motorcylists in High-Speed Chases Be Shot By Police ?

Shoplifters are not an immediate threat to others.
Do you want to set a precedent for killing people for what the "might do"?

FALSE PREMISE! The precedent already exists. Do you see cops walking around without guns ? Do you think they have them to not use them ?

They use them everyday across America for what suspects might do. They shoot suspects when they see suspect is a threat and armed with a gun. What would you have them do. Wait until they've been shot, and then shoot back ? (IF they're still alive) Cops shoot in self-defense on what armed suspects might do. Same principle applies with the speeding motorcylist, and a lot of people would say it's not what he might do, it is a matter of WHEN he'll do it. And he's already DOING it, by speeding into traffic and driving recklessly. Did you watch the video ?
You would fit right in if you lived in Iran. Kill first, then worry about due process.

Do you want to set a precedent for killing people for what the "might do"?

FALSE PREMISE! The precedent already exists. Do you see cops walking around without guns ? Do you think they have them to not use them ?

They use them everyday across America for what suspects might do. They shoot suspects when they see suspect is a threat and armed with a gun. What would you have them do. Wait until they've been shot, and then shoot back ? (IF they're still alive) Cops shoot in self-defense on what armed suspects might do. Same principle applies with the speeding motorcylist, and a lot of people would say it's not what he might do, it is a matter of WHEN he'll do it. And he's already DOING it, by speeding into traffic and driving recklessly. Did you watch the video ?
You would fit right in if you lived in Iran. Kill first, then worry about due process.

Actually, I fit right in, right here in the USA, where cops shoot people everyday (without due process of law), when they NEED to do it for self defense. And so do private citizens with concealed weapons licenses.

I'll tell you what. The next time some looney Muslim radical with a knife in his hand tells you he's going to cut your head off, and he asks if you have a gun and might shoot him, instead of having one and telling him yes you will, you can just tell him that No, you wouldn't want to deny him his "due process of law", OK ?

As for me, I'll tell him >> Go ahead. Make my day.

Actually, I fit right in, right here in the USA, where cops shoot people everyday (without due process of law), when they NEED to do it for self defense. And so do private citizens with concealed weapons licenses.

I'll tell you what. The next time some looney Muslim radical with a knife in his hand tells you he's going to cut your head off, and he asks if you have a gun and might shoot him, instead of having one and telling him yes you will, you can just tell him that No, you wouldn't want to deny him his "due process of law", OK ?

Apples and oranges, stupid. How old are you anyway? I'm guessing early 20's.

Hey.................Florida has a law that says if you feel threatened by someone on two feet, you can shoot them if you feel they present a danger to your life and get away with it.

Someone on a motorcycle who is running in and out of traffic is a much larger danger to the population.

If you can shoot the tires out, go for it. If not, aim for dead center mass on the person driving the motorcycle.

Either way, they're gonna end up either dead or seriously hurt.

Hey.................Florida has a law that says if you feel threatened by someone on two feet, you can shoot them if you feel they present a danger to your life and get away with it.

Someone on a motorcycle who is running in and out of traffic is a much larger danger to the population.

If you can shoot the tires out, go for it. If not, aim for dead center mass on the person driving the motorcycle.

Well, I guess that should give us all a green light to shoot somebody in a car too if they speed? After all, a car is far more dangerous than a motorcycle. Instead of radar guns, cops could just point their .357 at the cars and open fire on anybody doing say 10 miles over the speed limit? Yeah, that'll stop that shit!

Well, I guess that should give us all a green light to shoot somebody in a car too if they speed? After all, a car is far more dangerous than a motorcycle. Instead of radar guns, cops could just point their .357 at the cars and open fire on anybody doing say 10 miles over the speed limit? Yeah, that'll stop that shit!

If the person in the car is coming towards me with an intent that I can read that will do me harm? You bet................shoot the fucker in the face, or at least take out the tires.

People speeding 10 miles over the speed limit generally don't pose a threat unless they are coming directly at you.

Think once in a while, will you?

If the person in the car is coming towards me with an intent that I can read that will do me harm? You bet................shoot the fucker in the face, or at least take out the tires.

People speeding 10 miles over the speed limit generally don't pose a threat unless they are coming directly at you.

Think once in a while, will you?
You sound ridiculous.

Why not define a "motorcycle" as any vehicle with less than four wheels? That way you can shoot fleeing suspected shoplifting senior citizen on hoveround scooters or a teenager on a Segway. The thread has become ludicrous. Police Officers can't shoot a fleeing felon based on the the alleged crime nor can they shoot a fleeing felon based on the weapons which were alleged to have been displayed.

I happen to love driving fast and I speed all the time. Of course I have a good vehicle and know how to drive fast because of the various racing schools I've attended. I also don't speed where it is dangerous....funny me I actually take conditions into account, But anybody who runs from the cops takes not just their lives but the lives of everyone around them into their usually incapable hands. That is not acceptable. Period.

Below is a video of a motorcycle going by at 180mph+ Notice how little time you have to react.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0]THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH?? ?HD? 322kmh-200mph Street Race ? ISLE of MAN TT - YouTube[/ame]

Right up until the time that YOU are in a car that is obliterated by a larger vehicle, in a crash caused by a speeding motorcyclist, which would have been avoided if the loon had been shot off his bike.

Or if the loon in the pursuing police unit decided not to pursue in the first place.

NO, because this is about a hypothetical of a crash caused by a speeding motorcyle.

So there's 2 scenarios >>

1. The speeding, reckless motorcyclist caused a crash, and people get hurt or killed.

2. The cop takes out the speeding, reckless motorcyclist before that crash occurs, thereby preventing those people from getting hurt or killed. Got it ?

More likely:
3. The cop does "spray and pray", hitting multiple parked cars, buildings, and possibly people, with not one shot coming within 5' of the motorcyclist.

Probably closer to 12.

I'm 68 years old, and NO, it's not apples and oranges. It's a perfectly valid analogy. Both cases are SELF DEFENSE. That's what doesn't seem to be penetrating your thick skull.

So you couldn't figure out that shooting at a motorcyclist disables the motorcycle, and prevents any possible harm to motorists, BUT shooting at a car does NOT disable a car which can keep moving and cause injury further down the road.

Why not define a "motorcycle" as any vehicle with less than four wheels? That way you can shoot fleeing suspected shoplifting senior citizen on hoveround scooters or a teenager on a Segway. The thread has become ludicrous. Police Officers can't shoot a fleeing felon based on the the alleged crime nor can they shoot a fleeing felon based on the weapons which were alleged to have been displayed.

Off topic. We're not talking about what police officers CAN do. We're talking about what they SHOULD do. If they can't shoot motorcyclists who are endangering innocent motorists, then there should be legislation passed to allow them to do that.

If he is fleeing from a crime in which he used a weapon, sure, it is.

And if the speeding is a present danger to life and limb of the public and the cyclist won't pull over, sure, it is.

True, but if the police are in pursuit, the offender is likely to drive faster, and be more likely to drive erratically and thus put people at risk. If a chase is high speed, the best and safest option is to let it go, and search for the offender via other means.

Off topic. We're not talking about what police officers CAN do. We're talking about what they SHOULD do. If they can't shoot motorcyclists who are endangering innocent motorists, then there should be legislation passed to allow them to do that.

What do you think will happen when a motorcyclist is shot? Assuming the cop has excellent aim, if the rider is shot, he will lose control of the bike, and could well veer into traffic or a pedestrian, killing them.

I happen to love driving fast and I speed all the time. Of course I have a good vehicle and know how to drive fast because of the various racing schools I've attended. I also don't speed where it is dangerous....funny me I actually take conditions into account, But anybody who runs from the cops takes not just their lives but the lives of everyone around them into their usually incapable hands. That is not acceptable. Period.

Neither is the speeding you think is OK. You could be going down a seemingly empty road very fast, and see no people or cars anywhere. Suddenly a small child runs out from behind a bush, into the street chasing a ball, and is killed by your speeding car (which could have stopped if you were going slower)

Or if the loon in the pursuing police unit decided not to pursue in the first place.

NO, because this is about a hypothetical of a crash caused by a speeding motorcyle.

So there's 2 scenarios >>

1. The speeding, reckless motorcyclist caused a crash, and people get hurt or killed.

2. The cop takes out the speeding, reckless motorcyclist before that crash occurs, thereby preventing those people from getting hurt or killed. Got it ?

More likely:
3. The cop does "spray and pray", hitting multiple parked cars, buildings, and possibly people, with not one shot coming within 5' of the motorcyclist.

This must be the 5th time I've had to correct a poster who hasn't read the thread to know that I said "when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic"

Problem here is there are 2 threads with the same title. This occured accidently, and I asked the forum to DELETE this one > WHICH THEY DID NOT DO.

So, now we have a thread here with no OP for anyone to refer to (it's in the other thread) >> http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...s-in-high-speed-chases-be-shot-by-police.html

THIS thread should not even exist right now.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if the chase is on open road, free of traffic. You don't shoot and kill someone unless its in self defence, and shooting a fleeing bike rider is NOT self defence, in any form.

Forum List

Back