Should It Be Legal To Fire An Employee If They Share Their Salary w/Another?

Should It Be Legal To Fire An Employee For Sharing Their Salary?

• Total voters

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Should it be legal for an employer to fire an employee if they share their salary/pay/wage with another employee?

Yes or no?

And why?

Last edited:
No. Absolutely not.

This concept of firing people because they share their salary is so that the owners don't have to pay you as much as your coworker. They are worried that comparisons might be made and somebody might try to "renegotiate". It's all a part of union busting.

Last edited:
Ok, someone clarify for me. Is this asking about someone giving money to a coworker or telling a coworker how much they make?

If it's spelled out in the company policy then yes.
You didn't answer the question.

The question wasn't "if it's spelled out in the company should it be legal to fire an employee if they share their salary with another employee."

Perhaps this question will help you...
Should it be legal for a company to hire an minor (that's a person under legal working age BTW)?

See how it doesn't matter whether it's company policy to do so or not?

So, I ask again...can you answer the question of the OP?

Ok, someone clarify for me. Is this asking about someone giving money to a coworker or telling a coworker how much they make?
It's pretty clear WinterBorn, it's simply telling your co-worker how much you make.

Should that be a legally terminatable offence, legal, yes or no?

It should be legal to fire anyone, at any time, for whatever reason the owner chooses, be it righteous or ridiculous to the outsider's point-of-view.

Anything else is a travesty to liberty.

Should employers be able to "legally" fire someone for sharing salary information with each other? If they cover their asses and have each employee sign a form that states the "policy" forbids sharing of salary info, along with the reasons for the policy....I'd say YES.... BUT....it's a dumb idea....really dumb!

As an employer, I can tell you firsthand that it does not matter what your "policy" is, employees talk to each other and there are no secrets when it comes to compensation. Everyone knows what everyone else makes, roughly 100% of the time. :lol:

Personally, I do not have any issues with employees sharing information about compensation...or anything else! We have an "open books" policy and share all of our financials with our employees. That was a decision I made 10 years ago and have no regrets about! My experience is the more financially literate they are, the better employees they make. If they understand the cost of materials, labor, workers comp, liability insurance, etc.. they make better decisions. They are more careful about spending company money and using resources. They also can appreciate the role that each of the other employees has in creating a profitable company. If we hit our goals - they get a year-end bonus. This has worked so well for us, that next year we are thinking of instituting an ESOP plan.

The question wasn't "if it's spelled out in the company should it be legal to fire an employee if they share their salary with another employee."

Should it be legal for a company to hire an minor (that's a person under legal working age BTW)?

I did answer the question.

Life is not a series of yes or no questions it is a series of if then, but and what if scenarios.

There are laws against hiring someone underage. There is no law against telling someone how much you make.

But if there is a company policy against it, and you violate that company policy, you can be fired.

Either follow the rules or be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't like that sort of rule, don't work for a company that has them.

Should it be legal for an employer to fire an employee if they share their salary/pay/wage with another employee?

Yes or no?

And why?

Only a commie like you should ask such an absurd question. Other than the slippery slope that would cause. I mean you make not allowing a boss to fire over an employee telling what he makes to other, then what is next. Not firing an employee for showing up late for work?

There are many sound reasons for not allowing this!

There are laws against hiring someone underage. There is no law against telling someone how much you make.

But if there is a company policy against it, and you violate that company policy, you can be fired.

Either follow the rules or be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't like that sort of rule, don't work for a company that has them.
I'm asking should there be such a law.

Not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

Yes or no?

And why?

Only a commie like you should ask such an absurd question. Other than the slippery slope that would cause. I mean you make not allowing a boss to fire over an employee telling what he makes to other, then what is next. Not firing an employee for showing up late for work?

There are many sound reasons for not allowing this!
Such as...?

Can you list 3?

This actually happened to me -

I was hired at more money than someone else in the 3 person office. I was told not to talk to anyone about my salary but, when I was asked by the one who was making less, I did. I was promptly called to the HR office and my pay was lowered to match the other person's.

This was in NYC in 1969. At the time, the company was the second largest textile firm in the world and was screwing over their employees in textile factories as well. They could certainly have afforded to do the honest and upstanding thing - raise the former employee's pay. In this case, the difference would have been $10 a week.

Its the advantage of the employer if they can keep employees at odds with each other. If employees would stick together, they could force sneaky and dishonest employers into a position of integrity.

You asked if it was legal.

Not if there should be a law passed

If no law prevents the sharing of salary information, then, no, no firing.

The law should be changed so that workers can share salary information so they can bargain.

If no law prevents the sharing of salary information, then, no, no firing.

The law should be changed so that workers can share salary information so they can bargain.

If company policy prohibits it then yes you should be fired.

For the most part, a company can fire you for any reason

Most companies prohibit employees from disclosing personnel information including salaries

Because that is not what you asked?

I believe in less gov't interference in our lives. If the employer makes a company policy that no one discuss their salary, then don't discuss your salary. It is between you and your employer.

I don't think I have ever discussed my salary with anyone in all my years in the workforce. I was raised that a person's finances are private.

So no, there should be no law forbidding companies from making a policy that says don't share private information with coworkers.

Forum List

Back