Should It Be Legal To Fire An Employee If They Share Their Salary w/Another?

Should It Be Legal To Fire An Employee For Sharing Their Salary?

• Total voters
Should it be legal for an employer to fire an employee if they share their salary/pay/wage with another employee?

Yes or no?

And why?

Only a commie like you should ask such an absurd question. Other than the slippery slope that would cause. I mean you make not allowing a boss to fire over an employee telling what he makes to other, then what is next. Not firing an employee for showing up late for work?

There are many sound reasons for not allowing this!
Such as...?

Can you list 3?

Sure I can.

#1 - It allows me to reward employees for putting forth extra effort without me having to explain it to other employees or without other employees.

#2 - It allows raises to be based on individual work without it appearing to be punishment for those who only do what is required.

#3 - What an employee is paid is between the employer and the employee. Some skills and knowledge is worth more. as an example, I was hired as a field inspector for an engineering firm overseeing a fiber optic build. In addition to my experience as a lineman and supervisor, I had a decade of safety experience. That was not technically part of my job description, but it was put to use on occasion. My employer saw that as being worth a bit more pay than the other inspectors received. There was no formal rule against sharing salary info, but he asked that I keep it to myself. I would have anyway.

Only a commie like you should ask such an absurd question. Other than the slippery slope that would cause. I mean you make not allowing a boss to fire over an employee telling what he makes to other, then what is next. Not firing an employee for showing up late for work?

There are many sound reasons for not allowing this!
Such as...?

Can you list 3?

Sure I can.

#1 - It allows me to reward employees for putting forth extra effort without me having to explain it to other employees or without other employees.

#2 - It allows raises to be based on individual work without it appearing to be punishment for those who only do what is required.

#3 - What an employee is paid is between the employer and the employee. Some skills and knowledge is worth more. as an example, I was hired as a field inspector for an engineering firm overseeing a fiber optic build. In addition to my experience as a lineman and supervisor, I had a decade of safety experience. That was not technically part of my job description, but it was put to use on occasion. My employer saw that as being worth a bit more pay than the other inspectors received. There was no formal rule against sharing salary info, but he asked that I keep it to myself. I would have anyway.
So how would employees telling other employees their salary disallow the above?

Such as...?

Can you list 3?

Sure I can.

So how would employees telling other employees their salary disallow the above?

I'll explain by the numbers of the reasons.

#1 - If I have an employee that goes above and beyond what his job description calls for, I think they should be rewarded. I give all my employees an annual raise of $0.50 an hour, but I reward the individual who goes above and beyond with a $1.00 an hour raise. The employees who got the half dollar an hour raise will see an extra $20 a week. And they may be doing what their job description requires. But the other employee will see an extra $40 as a reward for extra effort. If you don't think that the other employees would complain and possibly harass the better employee, you haven't worked in a lot of jobs.

#2 - In the situation above, many people would see the smaller raise as punishment for something. That breeds resentment and hostility. Neither of which improves the attitude of the workplace. And if the budgets are tight, like they are now, there may not be the money for everyone to get a raise. But I can still reward the employee who goes the extra mile with a small raise or a bonus. Sharing that info could create a lot of attitudes.

#3 - I was paid more, as a starting salary, because of the additional knowledge I brought to the table. Other inspectors on the same job could see that and insist they need a raise because they aren't making what I am. Again, it can cause problems in the workplace.

Last edited:
Should it be legal for an employer to fire an employee if they share their salary/pay/wage with another employee?

Yes or no?

And why?

What an employee does with the money they have earned is none of the employers business.

Yes or no?

And why?

If that's their policy, then yes. You don't have a right to employment.

Not allowing employees to share information is an invasion of their privacy, and it's also a way for a shady employer to get away with racial, gender, religious, et cetera discrimination.

Unless there is a written contract spelling out terms of employment....

an employee should be able to quit his job for any reason and.......

an employer should be able to terminate an employee for any reason.

Yes or no?

And why?

once you get paid Marc,what you do with the money should be your business.....as long as the person is doing their job why should they be fired?....

Yes or no?

And why?

once you get paid Marc,what you do with the money should be your business.....as long as the person is doing their job why should they be fired?....

Harry, he stated the question badly. What he means is whether or not they share how much they make. In other words, talk about the amount if their salary and/or bonuses ect.

Yes or no?

And why?

Harry, he stated the question badly. What he means is whether or not they share how much they make. In other words, talk about the amount if their salary and/or bonuses ect.

yea i get that now....badly stated....

For the most part, a company can fire you for any reason

Most companies prohibit employees from disclosing personnel information including salaries

In many states an employer cannot ask you to not disclose your salary.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Should an employee be able to quit because the employer tells the other employees how much he makes?

Arguments can be made pro and con as we all know.

My opinion is that since businesses are all about profits, then employees should be all about salary and should collude wherever possible to advance their economic gain.

One, loyalty is not an issue: a business will fire an employee for any or no reason.

Two, competiveness makes a lean and mean business machine.

Employees, compete against the business.

Once you start on one item like this politicians along with their Union thug supports will spread it like the plague. Next thing you know it will be impossible to fire someone.

Here it only things I would make firing an at-will employee illegal:
(1) If the decision was based on race, religion, gender, family status, color or national origin. However, that doesn't give one free rain. If the job requires certain strength, then a weaker woman can't claim gender was the reason. If the job requires a specific uniform or dealing with the public, then Muslim crybabies can't cry religion discrimination.

(2) For whistle-blowing. We want to promote employees doing this.

(3) For getting pregnant or going on maternity.

Under Section 8(a)(1) of the National Labor Relations Act, an employer cannot prohibit employees from discussing their salaries or benefits, or discipline them for doing so.

In short, you cannot be prevented from disclosing your salary to other employees or for receiving that information from your fellow employees. If you are disciplined, you can file a complaint with the NLRB and you will be vindicated.

Under Section 8(a)(1) of the National Labor Relations Act, an employer cannot prohibit employees from discussing their salaries or benefits, or discipline them for doing so.

In short, you cannot be prevented from disclosing your salary to other employees or for receiving that information from your fellow employees. If you are disciplined, you can file a complaint with the NLRB and you will be vindicated.

I looked up the NLRB.

Here is Section 8(a)(1):
"UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICES

Sec. 8. [§ 158.] (a) [Unfair labor practices by employer] It shall be an unfair labor practice for an employer--

(1) to interfere with, restrain, or coerce employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed in section 7 [section 157 of this title];"

Here is Section 7 (referred to in the above quote):

"Sec. 7. [§ 157.] Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities except to the extent that such right may be affected by an agreement requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment as authorized in section 8(a)(3) [section 158(a)(3) of this title]."

Here is the link for the text of the NLRB: National Labor Relations Act | NLRB

Maybe you can find the section that does what you claim?

Forum List

Back