Should Left-Leaning Nonprofit Groups Lose Their Tax-free Status?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
The IRS scandal has raised a bunch of issues. One of them is who really qualifies for tax-free status in the first place:

What is a 501(c)(3)?

Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)is the portion of the tax code that gives certain entities the right to receive tax deductible contributions.

What are the qualifications for tax exempt status?

An organization must meet the following requirements to qualify:

The organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other charitable purposes
Net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder
No substantial part of its activity may be attempting to influence legislation
The organization may not intervene in political campaigns
The organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy
Tax Exempt Status for Churches and Nonprofits.

So groups like Media Matters or the NAACP aren't even qualified. Any group that singles out a political candidate for or against is subject to audit and removal of their tax-free satus.

I think that any group who takes sides politically should be removed from Tax exempt status.

Obama is on record complaining about AFP (Americans For Progress) yet he is supported by Media Matters, Center For American Progress, ProPublica, the NAACP, the Rainbow Coalition, Mother Jones, Factcheck.org, and Organizing for Action to name a few.

Obama is on record complaining about AFP (Americans For Progress) yet he is supported by Media Matters, Center For American Progress, ProPublica, the NAACP, the Rainbow Coalition, Mother Jones, Factcheck.org, and Organizing for Action to name a few.

So?

Giving the power to tax income for anything other than funding a war is really going too far in my opinion.

So?

So one should not throw stones when one lives in a glass house.

I expect this may become a big issue in the coming weeks because the left has cornered the market on this issue and if I were to be a Detective this would establish probable cause.

Were this to be organized crime instead of government it would establish RICO predicates.

Last edited:

So?

I expect this may become a big issue in the coming weeks because the left has cornered the market on this issue and if ib were to be a Detective this would establish probable cause.

Were organized crime instead of government it would establish RICO predicates.

Well, please do name me a single politician who does not live in a glass house and has never thrown a stone. This is a nothing issue and will be big nowhere that it matters.

The organization may not intervene in political campaigns

If this is the law, then enforce it even-handedly.

That would take an even-handed government agency. We don't have any. Not in this Administration.

Are you saying previous administration were different in this regard?
In short, WHY are you so keen in pursuing this now? Did you advocate a hard line on this practice when someone you agree with was doing it?

I think your answer is important. Are you trying to enforce laws or are you trying to harass?

Last edited:

I expect this may become a big issue in the coming weeks because the left has cornered the market on this issue and if ib were to be a Detective this would establish probable cause.

Well, please do name me a single politician who does not live in a glass house and has never thrown a stone. This is a nothing issue and will be big nowhere that it matters.

So because you figure all politicians are full of crap this excuses White House corruption?

Sorry, but this issue will only get worse the longer it goes on. And your opinion is noted and discarded as it deserves little or no consideration. .

If this is the law, then enforce it even-handedly.

That would take an even-handed government agency. We don't have any. Not in this Administration.

In short, WHY are you so keen in pursuing this now? Did you advocate a hard line on this practice when someone you agree with was doing it?

I think your answer is important. Are you trying to enforce laws or are you trying to harass?

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment. Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

I remember issues like WMDs, the NSA, firing federal judges, peeling paint and moldy shower stalls. Nothing like this.

So because you figure all politicians are full of crap this excuses White House corruption?

Sorry, but this issue will only get worse the longer it goes on. And your opinion is noted and discarded as it deserves little or no consideration. .

I never thought for a second you would give my opinion any consideration. It doesn't confrorm to your opinion.

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment. Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

I remember issues like WMDs, the NSA, firing federal judges, peeling paint and moldy shower stalls. Nothing like this.

How about a senior white house official intentionally blowing the cover of an active undercover CIA agent and then being convicted for obstruction of justice and perjury?

I never thought for a second you would give my opinion any consideration. It doesn't confrorm to your opinion.

You're trying to rationalize the situation.

Rationalization is a defense mechanism.

"Everybody does it" is not a rational opinion. What's wrong is wrong cut and dried.

You forgot moveon. :razz:

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment.

Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

How about a senior white house official intentionally blowing the cover of an active undercover CIA agent and then being convicted for obstruction of justice and perjury?

A reporter on CNN overhears a Bush official talking about Plame at a party and reports on it not knowing it's supposed to be classified. Even before the investigation began the guilty party admitted to it. The special prosecutor instead goes on a witch-hunt and finds a process crime.

In what way does that compare to stepping all over the civil rights of political opponents, harassing them, chasing away their political donors, even attackig anyone who dares to ask questions Obama doesn't want to answer? So far over 500 conservative groups got the same unfair treatment at the hands of the IRS.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back