Should Left-Leaning Nonprofit Groups Lose Their Tax-free Status?

That would take an even-handed government agency. We don't have any. Not in this Administration.

Are you saying previous administration were different in this regard?
In short, WHY are you so keen in pursuing this now? Did you advocate a hard line on this practice when someone you agree with was doing it?

I think your answer is important. Are you trying to enforce laws or are you trying to harass?

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment. Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

I remember issues like WMDs, the NSA, firing federal judges, peeling paint and moldy shower stalls. Nothing like this.

Lefties have been saying for years and years that churches, charities, et al, that involve themselves in politics should lose their tax-exempt status -- maybe this rightwing alignment with what the left has been calling for for years will bring it to fruition?

You asked for "a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration" hereya go...

While few are defending the Internal Revenue Service for targeting some 300 conservative groups, there are two critical pieces of context missing from the conventional wisdom on the “scandal.” First, at least from what we know so far, the groups were not targeted in a political vendetta — but rather were executing a makeshift enforcement test (an ugly one, mind you) for IRS employees tasked with separating political groups not allowed to claim tax-exempt status, from bona fide social welfare organizations. Employees are given almost zero official guidance on how to do that, so they went after Tea Party groups because those seemed like they might be political. Keep in mind, the commissioner of the IRS at the time was a Bush appointee.

The second is that while this is the first time this kind of thing has become a national scandal, it’s not the first time such activity has occurred.

“I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration, where they audited a progressive church in my district in what look liked a very selective way,” California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said on MSNBC Monday. “I found only one Republican, [North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones], that would join me in calling for an investigation during the Bush administration. I’m glad now that the GOP has found interest in this issue and it ought to be a bipartisan concern.”

The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election. “Jesus [would say], ‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.

The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration. “My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.

And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints, “a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes.
Meanwhile, Citizens for Ethics in Washington filed two ethics complaints against a church in Minnesota. “You know we can’t publicly endorse as a church and would not for any candidate, but I can tell you personally that I’m going to vote for Michele Bachmann,” pastor Mac Hammond of the Living Word Christian Center in Minnesota said in 2006 before welcoming her to the church. The IRS opened an audit into the church, but it went nowhereafter the church appealed the audit on a technicality.

And it wasn’t just churches. In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation’s oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization. “They are saying if you criticize the president we are going to take your tax exemption away from you,” then-chairman Julian Bond said. “It’s pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn’t believe George Bush should be criticized, and it’s obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too.”

<snip>

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment.

Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

I remember issues like WMDs, the NSA, firing federal judges, peeling paint and moldy shower stalls. Nothing like this.

How about a senior white house official intentionally blowing the cover of an active undercover CIA agent and then being convicted for obstruction of justice and perjury?

A reporter on CNN overhears a Bush official talking about Plame at a party and reports on it not knowing it's supposed to be classified. Even before the investigation began the guilty party admitted to it. The special prosecutor instead goes on a witch-hunt and finds a process crime.

In what way does that compare to stepping all over the civil rights of political opponents, harassing them, chasing away their political donors, even attackig anyone who dares to ask questions Obama doesn't want to answer? So far over 500 conservative groups got the same unfair treatment at the hands of the IRS.

Uh huh. You were saying something about rationalization earlier?

The IRS scandal has raised a bunch of issues. One of them is who really qualifies for tax-free status in the first place:

What is a 501(c)(3)?

Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)is the portion of the tax code that gives certain entities the right to receive tax deductible contributions.

What are the qualifications for tax exempt status?

An organization must meet the following requirements to qualify:

The organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other charitable purposes
Net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder
No substantial part of its activity may be attempting to influence legislation
The organization may not intervene in political campaigns
The organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy
Tax Exempt Status for Churches and Nonprofits.

So groups like Media Matters or the NAACP aren't even qualified. Any group that singles out a political candidate for or against is subject to audit and removal of their tax-free satus.

Seems to me that none of these groups, whether it is media matters, NAACP, or Greenpeace on the left, or the Swiftboaters, Heritage foundation, etc on the right, should qualify under these guidelines. I think the problem is that the IRS didn't go far enough. They should have gone after all these 501(c) groups. They are all trying to influence elections, and while they are supposedly "independent" of the various campaigns, the party's fingerprints are all over them.

Did you ever read the mission statements of Media Matters and it's affiliate "News Hounds". MM admits that it only monitors conservative speech. News hounds admits that it monitors Fox news "so you won't have to". The political bias is amazing.

The IRS scandal has raised a bunch of issues. One of them is who really qualifies for tax-free status in the first place:

What is a 501(c)(3)?

Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)is the portion of the tax code that gives certain entities the right to receive tax deductible contributions.

The organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other charitable purposes
Net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder
The organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy

So groups like Media Matters or the NAACP aren't even qualified. Any group that singles out a political candidate for or against is subject to audit and removal of their tax-free satus.

Get rid of them ALL....including religious tax exemption.

How about a senior white house official intentionally blowing the cover of an active undercover CIA agent and then being convicted for obstruction of justice and perjury?

A reporter on CNN overhears a Bush official talking about Plame at a party and reports on it not knowing it's supposed to be classified. Even before the investigation began the guilty party admitted to it. The special prosecutor instead goes on a witch-hunt and finds a process crime.

In what way does that compare to stepping all over the civil rights of political opponents, harassing them, chasing away their political donors, even attackig anyone who dares to ask questions Obama doesn't want to answer? So far over 500 conservative groups got the same unfair treatment at the hands of the IRS.

Uh huh. You were saying something about rationalization earlier?

Pouting now are we?

In short, WHY are you so keen in pursuing this now? Did you advocate a hard line on this practice when someone you agree with was doing it?

I think your answer is important. Are you trying to enforce laws or are you trying to harass?

If you can name a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration I'll comment. Otherwise I can only assume you can't be specific.

Lefties have been saying for years and years that churches, charities, et al, that involve themselves in politics should lose their tax-exempt status -- maybe this rightwing alignment with what the left has been calling for for years will bring it to fruition?

You asked for "a valid example of similar corruption from the Bush administration" hereya go...

While few are defending the Internal Revenue Service for targeting some 300 conservative groups, there are two critical pieces of context missing from the conventional wisdom on the “scandal.” First, at least from what we know so far, the groups were not targeted in a political vendetta — but rather were executing a makeshift enforcement test (an ugly one, mind you) for IRS employees tasked with separating political groups not allowed to claim tax-exempt status, from bona fide social welfare organizations. Employees are given almost zero official guidance on how to do that, so they went after Tea Party groups because those seemed like they might be political. Keep in mind, the commissioner of the IRS at the time was a Bush appointee.

The second is that while this is the first time this kind of thing has become a national scandal, it’s not the first time such activity has occurred.

“I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration, where they audited a progressive church in my district in what look liked a very selective way,” California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said on MSNBC Monday. “I found only one Republican, [North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones], that would join me in calling for an investigation during the Bush administration. I’m glad now that the GOP has found interest in this issue and it ought to be a bipartisan concern.”

The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election. “Jesus [would say], ‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.

The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration. “My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.

And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints, “a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes.
Meanwhile, Citizens for Ethics in Washington filed two ethics complaints against a church in Minnesota. “You know we can’t publicly endorse as a church and would not for any candidate, but I can tell you personally that I’m going to vote for Michele Bachmann,” pastor Mac Hammond of the Living Word Christian Center in Minnesota said in 2006 before welcoming her to the church. The IRS opened an audit into the church, but it went nowhereafter the church appealed the audit on a technicality.

And it wasn’t just churches. In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation’s oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization. “They are saying if you criticize the president we are going to take your tax exemption away from you,” then-chairman Julian Bond said. “It’s pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn’t believe George Bush should be criticized, and it’s obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too.”

<snip>

Name 499 more examples of this and you might have a point.

Oh, and don't quote Julian Bond. That racist should just keep his trap shut. He causes more trouble than he's worth.

What is a 501(c)(3)?

Get rid of them ALL....including religious tax exemption.

That sounds fair.......even Black churches.

Should Left-Leaning Nonprofit Groups Lose Their Tax-free Status?

I DO question the wisdom of allowing any politically motivated group to get 501c-4 status, so my answer is yes

<snip>

Name 499 more examples of this and you might have a point.

Oh, and don't quote Julian Bond. That racist should just keep his trap shut. He causes more trouble than he's worth.

Like I said, lefties have wanted these tax-exempt rules tightened for a long-long time. I hope rightwing whining will finally, at long last, git-r-done. Even in today's so-called "scandal", hundreds more applications for tax-exempt status came from rightwing political groups than from leftwing groups but-----but let's cut to the chase, a grand total of one (1) leftwing political group was denied tax-exempt status, while according to David Horsey "The fact is that none of the right-wing applicants were turned down, even though they are probably as engaged in partisan campaigning as Karl Rove or Jim Messina."

IMO this so-called scandal should serve as a catalyst for tightening the rules for who does and doesn't qualify for tax-exempt status. Looks to me like the righties are going whine loud enough and long enough that the lefties will get their way.

That would take an even-handed government agency. We don't have any. Not in this Administration.

Bush Used the IRS, FBI, CIA and Secret Service to Go After Opponents -- Where Was the Fox and GOP Outrage? | Alternet

Only one?

Internal Revenue Service
Mid-July, 2006: Wilsons Audited by IRS; ‘Political Payback’ Suspected

Former ambassador Joseph Wilson and his wife, former CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson, have their 2004 tax returns audited by the IRS. Their accountant informs them that there was nothing in their returns that would have triggered an audit. In 2007, Plame Wilson will write: “I am not conspiratorially minded, but after talking to [our accountant] I really had dark thoughts about Nixonian ‘enemies lists’ (see June 27, 1973). Didn’t [former President] Nixon use the power of his office to unleash IRS audits on those he deemed to be his enemies (see August 9, 1972 and March 12, 1974)?… My concerns that we were the targets of yet another political attack were strengthened several months later when we learned that a journalist friend of ours had been also singled out for an audit. He had just published a book highly critical of the Bush administration and it felt like payback. But, then again, maybe the audits were just a strange coincidence.” The Wilsons’ audit turns up nothing.

Forum List

Back