Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters
To me it isn't paying taxes that is the issue, its public sector unions and the undue influence they have on the governments that their members work in.

Public employees should get a choice, keep your union and lose your vote at the level of government you work in, or lose your union and keep your vote.

I work local government, but live in another jurisdiction (think of it as I work in one county but live in a different one), if I was in a union - why should I loose the ability to vote in my counties elections?**

(I'm not in a union, but just curious as to why I shouldn't be allowed to vote in my county.)

>>>>

Its a simple conflict of interest, in particular in large municipalities. When the people you collectively bargain with can influence the other side by the ability to elect or remove them from office (or at a minimum campaign for or against them), the entire concept of bargaining is thrown out the window.

Its the whole reason large "blue" cities are either in or approaching serious issues with their pension plans.

Of course it's welfare. The government didn't save a dime. It's just taking other people's money and giving the money to them like any other welfare program

Social Security has always been funded by contributors.

and that funding has been taken by the Feds for the general fund, and replaced with "IOU's"
that can only be repaid via the general fund.
As long as the debt is paid...just like at an investment firm..

Someone on welfare. Government taxes money from your children and gives it to them

You on social security. Government takes money from your children and gives it to you

You: Wow, those are completely different ...

Social Security is self funding. The government could take from the Trust Fund to pay current recipients and then replenish that, and then some, with incoming revenue. It's simpler just to use the incoming revenue.

THERE IS NO TRUST FUND.

To me it isn't paying taxes that is the issue, its public sector unions and the undue influence they have on the governments that their members work in.

Public employees should get a choice, keep your union and lose your vote at the level of government you work in, or lose your union and keep your vote.

Good way there to wipe your ass with the constitution...

When one works for the government, certain rules can be imposed on you.

THERE IS NO TRUST FUND.

Ok. But there is the full faith and credit of the US government.
Same thing that backs our currency.

What is the problem?

The problem is that once SS goes in the Red, 1) the General fund loses a source of funding, and 2) The draw for the SS debt payment supersedes other payments. (same as any debt service).

The problem is the deficits go UP instead of DOWN.

Yes it should. I read the other day that 45% of the people pays NO Federal taxes.

It is known how to fix social security. Why doesn't it happen?

It is known how to fix federal deficits. Doesn't happen.

Maybe there is not the problem you think there is.
Other wise the republican controlled congress would be dealing with these issues. They don't seem to worried about it.

Yes it should. I read the other day that 45% of the people pays NO Federal taxes.

Yes sir the working poor take advantage of that EITC given them by past republicans to get back more money than they paid in.

But you are so.stupid you think poor.people wrote the tax code. Right?

Take it up with the republican controlled congress if you want tax law changed.

But quit ragging on the working poor. All they do is use the tax code like everybody else.

It is known how to fix social security. Why doesn't it happen?

It is known how to fix federal deficits. Doesn't happen.

Maybe there is not the problem you think there is.
Other wise the republican controlled congress would be dealing with these issues. They don't seem to worried about it.

Removing the cap on SS eliminates the concept that it isn't a tax, but a contribution towards ones own retirement.

Raising taxes to remove the deficit would ruin the economy.

"Spend more of other people's money" is not a "fix".

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

It's called taxation without representation.

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

So you think people living in social security shouldn't vote, Frank?

The answer is no. No matter how much you hate poor people

But do you think a CEO should be allowed to vote if he offshores his corporation's money and the corporation doesn't pay taxes?

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
No, but everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. I know percentages is a difficult mathematical function for the left, but a percentage is a percentage. Everyone has a vested interest in America.
so, those who earn over $110 should pay the same percentage in Social Security tax on ALL of their income made each year that is above $110k?
No, however, filing both state and federal tax returns should be a prerequisite. No file no vote. Regardless if one owes or not federal and state law requires filing. As my old coach once said if you don't have skin in the game how the hell can you expect to play!
so paying social security taxes, medicare taxes, state sales taxes, property taxes, gas taxes both federal and state, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes etc etc etc,

IS NOT HAVING SKIN IN THE GAME?

REALLY?

you ALL are an embarrassment to our Nation and Constitution!
You earn $1 you pay the same percentage as the guy who made $100M.
Everyone has a vested interest in America and we should all support.

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

So you think people living in social security shouldn't vote, Frank?

The answer is no. No matter how much you hate poor people

But do you think a CEO should be allowed to vote if he offshores his corporation's money and the corporation doesn't pay taxes?

Did you actually read the OP before responding???

"Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote"

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

It's called taxation without representation.

it's actually calling using the power of government to take what doesn't belong to you

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

Your question is flawed.

There are a lot of people in this country that work, but fall under the bar in Federal Taxes. Then you have retirees that have worked all of their lives--and just because they don't work anymore--doesn't mean they should be ineligible to vote.

ESL?

"Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote"

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
No, but everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. I know percentages is a difficult mathematical function for the left, but a percentage is a percentage. Everyone has a vested interest in America.
so, those who earn over $110 should pay the same percentage in Social Security tax on ALL of their income made each year that is above $110k?
No, however, filing both state and federal tax returns should be a prerequisite. No file no vote. Regardless if one owes or not federal and state law requires filing. As my old coach once said if you don't have skin in the game how the hell can you expect to play!
so paying social security taxes, medicare taxes, state sales taxes, property taxes, gas taxes both federal and state, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes etc etc etc,

REALLY?

Weatherman, right now in our income tax, a couple earning $20k a year pay nothing in income tax on that 20k, but guess what? The millionaire does not pay a dime of tax on that $20k earned either. They pay the exact same income tax as the next guy on that first $20 k earned.....that guy paying nothing in taxes is not getting some sort of DEAL over and above the millionaire's deal, on that first 20k earned by him.

There is NOTHING AT ALL UNFAIR ABOUT THAT......nada, zilch, wrong with it.

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

How about a corporation that doesn't pay taxes or is based offshore like in the cayman islands or ireland. Should it be allowed to buy a politician like hillary of cruz?

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

REALLY?

Weatherman, right now in our income tax, a couple earning $20k a year pay nothing in income tax on that 20k, but guess what? The millionaire does not pay a dime of tax on that $20k earned either. They pay the exact same income tax as the next guy on that first $20 k earned.....that guy paying nothing in taxes is not getting some sort of DEAL over and above the millionaire's deal, on that first 20k earned by him.

There is NOTHING AT ALL UNFAIR ABOUT THAT......nada, zilch, wrong with it.
Illogical. You pay taxes on an annual basis. It's an annual tax bracket. If I earn $200k this year I'm paying based upon that $200k, not $20k.

But that's not my point. A straight percentage is the best system as all Americans have a vested interest in America.

Forum List

Back