Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters
Why not just make it requirement of voting that you must denounce in an affidavit that you reject the nonsensical notion that the Earth was created according to the tale told in Genesis of the Bible,

if for no other reason that to prove that you're rational?

That could also apply to man made global warming. It's just as reliable of a concept as a flat earth.

What I said are "general" questions that any voter who votes should know--not partisan issues. That is unless you (as a liberal) believe that it's partisan to know what party leads the Congress......

What you said a voter should know was idiocy.

It's idiocy to expect a voter to know who leads the Congress? What party the VP belongs to? What the national debt is and what it means to the Republic? That's idiocy in the liberal mind???

It's not that I don't understand your resentment: many Democrat voters don't know these things. In fact, if we were ever able to make it a requirement, Democrat leadership would only be known in history books.

I live in rural REPUBLICAN upstate NY and I can guarantee that most of the Joe Sixpack Republicans around here can't tell you what the national debt is.

You are effectively rejecting democracy as a viable form of government, IOW, as a failed form of government.

Well.....we don't have a government of democracy, we have a government of an elected Republic. You know "And to the REPUBLIC for which it stands."

Wrong. A representative democracy is a democratic Republic.

No it isn't. A Democracy is a system where the majority rules each and every time. A representative Republic is where you choose leaders to make decisions on behalf of what they believe is right or wrong on behalf of the country.

A majority elect the representatives. A majority of the representatives are required to pass laws.

Correct, but that is not a democracy.

Yes it is. You like 99% of the uneducated RWnuts in the world think democracy is limited to 'direct democracy'.

Why not just make it requirement of voting that you must denounce in an affidavit that you reject the nonsensical notion that the Earth was created according to the tale told in Genesis of the Bible,

That could also apply to man made global warming. It's just as reliable of a concept as a flat earth.

What I said are "general" questions that any voter who votes should know--not partisan issues. That is unless you (as a liberal) believe that it's partisan to know what party leads the Congress......

It's idiocy to expect a voter to know who leads the Congress? What party the VP belongs to? What the national debt is and what it means to the Republic? That's idiocy in the liberal mind???

It's not that I don't understand your resentment: many Democrat voters don't know these things. In fact, if we were ever able to make it a requirement, Democrat leadership would only be known in history books.

I live in rural REPUBLICAN upstate NY and I can guarantee that most of the Joe Sixpack Republicans around here can't tell you what the national debt is.

Then it would be to your advantage to support my idea, wouldn't it? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
No, but everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. I know percentages is a difficult mathematical function for the left, but a percentage is a percentage. Everyone has a vested interest in America.

You confirm my past accusations that what conservatives really want is an oligarchy.

In a way, yes. Only those who understand politics and issues should be voting on them. The problem we have today is voters who really don't know WTF they are voting on. You know, Obama Money? Obama give us a free cell phone?

We have people going to the polls who don't even understand the rudiments of our country yet alone the current state of affairs. As I pointed out, Democrats heavily rely on this bunch to gain or maintain power which is why they would reject such a proposal.

You are effectively rejecting democracy as a viable form of government, IOW, as a failed form of government.

Well.....we don't have a government of democracy, we have a government of an elected Republic. You know "And to the REPUBLIC for which it stands."

Wrong. A representative democracy is a democratic Republic.

No it isn't. A Democracy is a system where the majority rules each and every time. A representative Republic is where you choose leaders to make decisions on behalf of what they believe is right or wrong on behalf of the country.
Can you name a couple of Countries in our world that have as you have described a Democracy as their goverrnent or even one?

No, however, filing both state and federal tax returns should be a prerequisite. No file no vote. Regardless if one owes or not federal and state law requires filing. As my old coach once said if you don't have skin in the game how the hell can you expect to play!

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
So you are saying that retired people, disabled people, people who are getting an education, etc. shouldn't vote (I'm pretty sure none of those groups pay income taxes).

Hitler much?

Then it would be to your advantage to support my idea, wouldn't it? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Unlike you, I'm not out to exploit idiotic ideas for personal gain.

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
No, but everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. I know percentages is a difficult mathematical function for the left, but a percentage is a percentage. Everyone has a vested interest in America.
so, those who earn over $110 should pay the same percentage in Social Security tax on ALL of their income made each year that is above $110k?
No, however, filing both state and federal tax returns should be a prerequisite. No file no vote. Regardless if one owes or not federal and state law requires filing. As my old coach once said if you don't have skin in the game how the hell can you expect to play!
so paying social security taxes, medicare taxes, state sales taxes, property taxes, gas taxes both federal and state, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes etc etc etc,

IS NOT HAVING SKIN IN THE GAME?

REALLY?

you ALL are an embarrassment to our Nation and Constitution!

Regarding the question at hand I vote absolutely not. Scares me that somebody should even ask. We must strive to limit our private information such as income and race from government eyes, not expand it.

So if everybody participating in this topic voted for you to give us each $100.00, you would approve of that?

Because that's what really happens when people who contribute nothing get to vote; they get to vote money out of your pockets and mine for their own benefit without spending a cent of their own.

And we get to choose whether to vote money out of the pockets of those earning more than us.

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

Your question is flawed.

There are a lot of people in this country that work, but fall under the bar in Federal Taxes. Then you have retirees that have worked all of their lives--and just because they don't work anymore--doesn't mean they should be ineligible to vote.

While we are at it, maybe only states that are net contributors to federal revenues should have electoral votes.

Regarding the question at hand I vote absolutely not. Scares me that somebody should even ask. We must strive to limit our private information such as income and race from government eyes, not expand it.

So if everybody participating in this topic voted for you to give us each $100.00, you would approve of that?

Because that's what really happens when people who contribute nothing get to vote; they get to vote money out of your pockets and mine for their own benefit without spending a cent of their own.

And we get to choose whether to vote money out of the pockets of those earning more than us.

Perhaps, but at least all pay something.

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
so, those who earn over $110 should pay the same percentage in Social Security tax on ALL of their income made each year that is above $110k?
so paying social security taxes, medicare taxes, state sales taxes, property taxes, gas taxes both federal and state, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes etc etc etc,

IS NOT HAVING SKIN IN THE GAME?

REALLY?

you ALL are an embarrassment to our Nation and Constitution!

Most of our social goodies come out of income tax, not the taxes you listed above. As for payroll tax, you get all that back and more if you live the average lifespan in this country.

Free college is not going to come out of your medicare taxes.

Unlike you, I'm not out to exploit idiotic ideas for personal gain.

Personal gain? How is it personal gain when you just told me there are plenty of Republican voters that don't know what the national debt is? Seems to me you're confident that having such a test would knock out Republican voters.

But then again, you're a Democrat therefore a natural born liar. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
How many other ways can Conservatives voting rights? What it about about the right to vote that irritates Conservatives so?

I think you should have a vested interest. If you don't pay taxes, why should you vote?

What makes you special?
You would deny the right to vote to the homeless? The jobless?

Conservatives to the poor: 'I'm awfully sorry but we find you to be not nearly prosperous enough to qualify as citizens.'

Last edited:
Sorry, no. War should be the last resort. After everything else has failed.
And sorry, friend but I am not clueless either.
Again, if after WWII - the U.S. clammed up, withdrew from all theaters and buried it's head in the sand like after WWI - the world would be a very, very different place right now.
If we had not occupied Japan as well as had very strong military presence in Europe after the war - Russia would be the super power of the world, and probably would have either joined with China, or had one big ass war with them. Probably joined.
There would be no South Korea. North Korea would be KOREA.
There would be no Israel. And the Middle East?...Hah!...nothing but one giant oil farm feeding Russia.

If we had stayed out of WWI, there'd have been no Hitler.
Untrue.

Hitler would have been Gauleiter of Cincinnati.

His fanatical allegiance to the Imperial Crown would have propelled him out of the ranks of worker bees.

The Allies would have not had the power to crush Germany at Versailles in 1919 without the massive assistance of the US. The Nazis rose to power in the only environment they could have, severe misery in Germany.
Without the Americans, the Germans would probably have won WWI, against their French and British adversaries, even though it might have dragged on into 1920 or 1921 or 1922.
France owed the US 40 billion, no way was the US going to let them lose...
You may be right, but, then again, I dunno. Isolationism was far more prevalent and powerful (influential) in pre-WWI America than at any time afterwards.

Of course it's welfare. The government didn't save a dime. It's just taking other people's money and giving the money to them like any other welfare program

Social Security has always been funded by contributors.

and that funding has been taken by the Feds for the general fund, and replaced with "IOU's"
that can only be repaid via the general fund.
As long as the debt is paid...just like at an investment firm..

Not really.

You don't think giving your kids a trust fund and giving them the bills to put the money into it to pay Moonie is the same as just taking the money from the kids and giving it to Moonie directly? Hmm...me either ...

They don't get it. Investments pay off when wealth is created. the Trust Fund Bonds for SS are paid back from the general fund, and thus taxes, not the creation of wealth.

Forum List

Back