Should Prisoners Be Allowed to Vote?

Shattered said:
No. No. No. HELL NO.

If you fuck up enough to find yourself behind bars, you don't deserve any input on how this country is run.

DITTO!!!

If you are behind bars, focus on how to change yourself so you can reintegrate after getting out, or how to survive if not getting out. No need to focus on what is happening to the outside world. Let those of us who have to deal with the results of voting be the ones that make the decisions.

I agree...they should not be allowed to vote...however even though I am a former law enforcement officer...I truly believe that once the person has served his/her time and is released back into society they should be given back their rights! IMO... some states continue to denie their rights as a former felon...I believe this to be counter productive!

With a higher power on this issue. What would TED KENNEDY think. Generally speaking an inmate might be more inclined to vote for a Democrat, HOWEVER, if that democrat were Ted Kennedy this might not be so for the follwing reason:

Inmates tend to be jealous about folks who have committed the same crimes as they but were not prosecuted or did not recieve jail time. Since we all know that he is a murdering, whoremongering, lying, fat, ugly bastard it might be possible that would not vote for him. What do y'all think?

:firing: TED

Emmett said:
No what mom?
They should not be allowed to vote while they are prisoners, but after they have served their time they should be allowed to vote again. I don't think parole should count either.

Prisoners vote while in prison? You're kidding right?

Once they are out? No way. They forfeited that right when they were convicted of the crime for which they served time.

And I don't want to hear anything about they already "paid their debt to society."

There is not a crime in the world, the the guilty verdict results in prison time, that doesn't have a victim. Someone, somewhere suffered for the crime that person committed. Directy, indirectly, it doesn't matter.

Instead of debating this issue, we need to debate how to get more citizens, who are eligible, to vote!

GotZoom said:
Prisoners vote while in prison? You're kidding right?

Once they are out? No way. They forfeited that right when they were convicted of the crime for which they served time.

And I don't want to hear anything about they already "paid their debt to society."

There is not a crime in the world, the the guilty verdict results in prison time, that doesn't have a victim. Someone, somewhere suffered for the crime that person committed. Directy, indirectly, it doesn't matter.

Instead of debating this issue, we need to debate how to get more citizens, who are eligible, to vote!

I believe in the three strikes your out theory...until then no one is perfect...and it would be counter productive to continue to punish all who screwed up...are you so perfect got zoom..or just being pc?

archangel said:
I believe in the three strikes your out theory...until then no one is perfect...and it would be counter productive to continue to punish all who screwed up...are you so perfect got zoom..or just being pc?

A crime that results in a felony conviction is not "screwing up."

GotZoom said:
A crime that results in a felony conviction is not "screwing up."

there are different levels of felonies and high misdeameanors...a grey area..and if ya check out the biblical interpretations of the Ten Commandments...well golly gee Mr.Wizard...I would bet dollars to donuts that you have violated one or more....anymore holier than thou comments?

ps: "In for a penny in for a pound"...a old intell joke...did ya miss it during the process?

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
archangel said:
there are different levels of felonies and high misdeameanors...a grey area..and if ya check out the biblical interpretations of the Ten Commandments...well golly gee Mr.Wizard...I would bet dollars to donuts that you have violated one or more....anymore holier than thou comments?

Hey Archie, that's good!

I would bet that we've all broken the law. Only some of us get caught.

archangel said:

ps: "In for a penny in for a pound"...a old intell joke...did ya miss it during the process?

I spoke of felonies..anything that results in a felony conviction. Not sure how much clearer I can make that.

I won't bet you anything because I would lose. In fact, you would lose too.

(I can hear it now, you'll want both of us to list which ones we broke)

I would also bet dollars to donuts that if we were to use the Ten Commandments as the guide to determine voting eligibility, no one in the United States could vote.

And yes, I am very familiar with the expression.

GotZoom said:
I spoke of felonies..anything that results in a felony conviction. Not sure how much clearer I can make that.

I won't bet you anything because I would lose. In fact, you would lose too.

(I can hear it now, you'll want both of us to list which ones we broke)

I would also bet dollars to donuts that if we were to use the Ten Commandments as the guide to determine voting eligibility, no one in the United States could vote.

And yes, I am very familiar with the expression.

then...I never once said I was perfect...I defend those who are hit hard by hypocrits...and you are correct no one has met all the requirements of the Ten Commandments...which is the basis for all of our laws...just food for thought! What is that you and yours always say to me...oh yeah..."Owned"! :cof:

Nuc said:
Hey Archie, that's good!

I would bet that we've all broken the law. Only some of us get caught.

and that was my point as to giving those who paid their debt to society another chance! We are all sinners...Thats what Jesus said...NO? :)

archangel said:
then...I never once said I was perfect...I defend those who are hit hard by hypocrits...and you are correct no one has met all the requirements of the Ten Commandments...which is the basis for all of our laws...just food for thought! What is that you and yours always say to me...oh yeah..."Owned"! :cof:

I don't need to say it.

You did it for me.

Ok, wow we all sin. Now for most of us, the sins just don't reach the phase where we meet up with the police or DA. There are some that do and are found guilty. They give up all sorts of rights and privileges. Upon release, the rights are given back, or they would still be incarcerated. doh!

Not necessarily the privilges, such as voting; Such as child sex offenders being able to live/work within so many ft of a school, day care; Having to check in with a parole officer; Etc.

archangel said:
and that was my point as to giving those who paid their debt to society another chance! We are all sinners...Thats what Jesus said...NO? :)

As I said before, their debt is never paid. Their crime resulted in pain to someone.

That pain and the memories associated with it never go away.

Kathianne said:
Ok, wow we all sin. Now for most of us, the sins just don't reach the phase where we meet up with the police or DA. There are some that do and are found guilty. They give up all sorts of rights and privileges. Upon release, the rights are given back, or they would still be incarcerated. doh!

Not necessarily the privilges, such as voting; Such as child sex offenders being able to live/work within so many ft of a school, day care; Having to check in with a parole officer; Etc.

There are different levels of felonies and high misdeameanors...a grey area...you are now equating child sex offenders to some who may have stolen? As the bible says violate one violate all...one in the same...I am compassionate when it comes to some but not all! Because I am humane not a Saint,Jesus or God...Jesus made this very clear!On the cross he forgave the thief but not the true sinner!

Forum List

Back