🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should relatives of children who commit school shooting be put in jail?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I'm kind of playing devil's advocate. If we are to hold the spouse of the islamic mass shooter responsible should we also do the same for parents of children who commit mass shootings at schools? How and when do we hold people around the criminal somewhat responsible for the crimes they commit?

Considering we are not Klingons, you typically don't hold relatives responsible for the actions of other unless they had a part in it.

Considering we are not Klingons, you typically don't hold relatives responsible for the actions of other unless they had a part in it.

THat is what I am asking. When do we hold a spouse, parent, friend responsible for crimes of other people?

They are considering charges because they suspect she knew of the plot...you're comparing apples and oranges but sure if someone knows and doesn't inform the authorities they are in cahoots

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate. If we are to hold the spouse of the islamic mass shooter responsible should we also do the same for parents of children who commit mass shootings at schools? How and when do we hold people around the criminal somewhat responsible for the crimes they commit?
If you know a crime is about to be committed and don't report it you're an accomplice and should be punished. If you suspect someone you know is capable of a crime but hasn't done anything it is less clear to me what you should do, at least legally. What would the authorities do lock up or investigate non-criminals? Not the USA I want.

If you know a crime is about to be committed and don't report it you're an accomplice and should be punished. If you suspect someone you know is capable of a crime but hasn't done anything it is less clear to me what you should do, at least legally. What would the authorities do lock up or investigate non-criminals? Not the USA I want.

I totally agree that this can't be applied to all situations since the loved one may not be completely sure what their spouse is doing so they may not be held accountable all the time. Do we put Mafia wives in jail even though they know what their husbands are up to? On the other hand, if the same spouse knew of the plans and said 'have a nice day at work' as he left out the door then that might be a totally different situation.

I totally agree that this can't be applied to all situations since the loved one may not be completely sure what their spouse is doing so they may not be held accountable all the time. Do we put Mafia wives in jail even though they know what their husbands are up to? On the other hand, if the same spouse knew of the plans and said 'have a nice day at work' as he left out the door then that might be a totally different situation.
There are plenty of people on this forum would love to see Obama dead but I doubt any of them are planning to actually do it. We can't and shouldn't investigate them all.

Due process of law.

But obviously, it might not be dumb to at least inspect whether these people in fact did something criminal, or are planning to do so. If there is evidence to do so...

if they supplied the weapon absolutely we should

What if the spouse actually agreed with the shooters agenda and her reluctance to turn in her husband was because of that. She thought it was a good idea and agreed with it. I would understand if she couldn't imagine her husband doing those things and was in a state of denial the whole time but if she sympathised with his cause then that might be a different situation.

If your dog bites somebody (regardless of its age), you, as the owner, are responsible.

Should be the same with your kids. You bring them into the world and you should share responsibility for their actions for their entire lives.

If your dog bites somebody (regardless of its age), you, as the owner, are responsible.

Should be the same with your kids. You bring them into the world and you should share responsibility for their actions for their entire lives.

Those are things you have control over and are responsible for. I don't know if spouses and friends would fall into that catagory as being people you are responsible for.

Good questions. I am guily of thinking lockup her and father (they knew) w/o much thought.

But relatives of kids who "act weird" or? I guess expensive long court battles for all. Who pays for defense?

if someone knows and doesn't inform the authorities they are in cahoots

Which is just another way of saying that you believe Big Brother government has a right to all information it wants, whenever it wants, and that individuals have an obligation to be active agents of the state.

Forum List

Back