Should religion be eliminated

Should religion be eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
I am not religious and I’m not depressed. I think that’s a false connection. People are depressed because they don’t have money.
I was not speaking of you personally. Guess what? I don't have money, and I'm not depressed. All I pointed out is that the number of teens and young adults suffering from major depression is rising even faster than the general population. You are arguing teens are depressed because their parents aren't giving them enough money? I think there is more to it than that, something more philosophical. Religion is a method of addressing philosophies in this life.
It has been proven that success does not lead to happiness. That happiness leads to success.

A world without meaning will not be a happy world.
What’s the meaning of the human race or deer or elephants?

Can bear be happy? Can dogs be happy? What is their purpose? How about cats? They seem happy without believing in god
Our purpose is to pass it on while becoming the best version we can be.

Speak for yourself. I have no hole in my life.
Again, I was not speaking of you personally. I can imagine my life without religion and it would be like living this life in a hut instead of in a mansion, or like living one's life in the back yard as opposed to living life on an entire mountain. But...I wouldn't know what else was even possible, would I?
Of course if you believe eternal heaven awaits yes it would suck for you to wake up
It’s about the journey. Which you never understood.

Not for you because you didn't experience it. I did.

Do you mean the type of Christian who has witnessed a transformation in himself? Guilty as charged.

I see that you did agree that you believe religion should be eliminated. How far are you willing to go? Subversion? By force? What?
Education.

I will never do what Christianity did and force everyone under the kings rule to be a catholic or Protestant.

There will always be people who believe in god heaven and hell. It’s superstition. But you see how superstition doesn’t rule our lives like religion does?

Most people are living the way you are supposed to live. If they go to church, which most don’t, they keep it to themselves. It rarely comes up and most people don’t know I’m an atheist and I couldn’t tell you what religion they belong to.

Most Americans in the north east are only Christians because their parents told them they were. But they don’t practice at all. You count a lot of people as members and they are hardly members. And their kids will be agnostics. We see it happening now. Religion is declining naturally. We are evolving very fast on this. Even though the Bible Belt seems like it’s going nowhere it is. People aren’t buying it like they used to.
You have an idealized view of the path not taken. And you might be surprised to find out that the Church tempered the rule of the monarchs too. And lastly, you might be surprised to find out that your view of a future without religion isn't all that you suppose it to be. Only time will tell.
People are less likely to blow people up if they aren’t told a god will reward them.

And regardless. It’s still all lies. There isn’t one real religion. You agree with me about all the other religions just not yours.
Again, let me say you have an idealized view of a path not take. You only believe the pasture on the other side of the fence is greener because you have never been in it.

You have never made an objective analysis of religion because you are incapable of doing so.

Would you like to debate me on that in the bull ring?
No. I can tell you would frustrate me and nothing more.

Global warming is a fact. I don’t debate facts
If it is a fact it shouldn’t be to hard to prove it.

I am not religious and I’m not depressed. I think that’s a false connection. People are depressed because they don’t have money.
I was not speaking of you personally. Guess what? I don't have money, and I'm not depressed. All I pointed out is that the number of teens and young adults suffering from major depression is rising even faster than the general population. You are arguing teens are depressed because their parents aren't giving them enough money? I think there is more to it than that, something more philosophical. Religion is a method of addressing philosophies in this life.

Sure... they get people to meditate on nothingness, or believe that suffering is a virtue or that paradise can only be found after death, and they will become a self negating non-entity who will take tons of crap from the political and religious authorities without question daily for the rest of their lives... the sweat of their brow, thinking, producing only thorns and thistles.

And you think that taking young adults who are drowning in despair over the fact that they are being led like sheep to the slaughter into living lives of insanity can be cured by filling their heads with religious lies until they just give up the ghost and become happy idiots?

Brilliant!

It’s not religion’s fault young people are suffering from despair. It is society’s fault. We have become more materialistic and less spiritual. This is our predictable surprise.
It’s economic opportunity. Give a guy a career he will start and raise a good family.
No. The standard of living is at an all time high.
Just think of all the women who lived under their husbands rule during that time. They weren’t happy but they sure were Christians. Do you think women were happier back then? Or did religion just help them cope?

Today these women have careers of their own and they don’t go to church or practice. I say they are happier.

Seems like that’s who religion is for. People who aren’t happy. They need it.

And you’re making it sound worse than it is. Is there really so much despair in America? Why is it almost always white men who snap? Hardly ever women.

Again, I was not speaking of you personally. I can imagine my life without religion and it would be like living this life in a hut instead of in a mansion, or like living one's life in the back yard as opposed to living life on an entire mountain. But...I wouldn't know what else was even possible, would I?
Of course if you believe eternal heaven awaits yes it would suck for you to wake up
Im on the journey right now

they are a little confusing, how can they be on a journey if the are waiting for their messiah to return to take them where they say they are going ... after reading a book.

None of them talk about how many god’s there are. Please try again.
There are a small number of Greeks who still believe in the Greek gods.

Christians muslims jews and Mormons can’t laugh just because they joined a new or different cult that chose for obvious reasons to go with one god.

Even god said there were more gods. He said don’t worship them just worship me
Or maybe it was misunderstood what it means.
You misunderstood it alright! :lol:

Good try, but now you need to post not just random links, but a link, or links that support what you claimed in this thread, that there is only one god. Those 4 links don'y prove that.
I say they do. Can you show me where they don’t?
None of them talk about how many god’s there are. Please try again.
There are a small number of Greeks who still believe in the Greek gods.

Christians muslims jews and Mormons can’t laugh just because they joined a new or different cult that chose for obvious reasons to go with one god.

Even god said there were more gods. He said don’t worship them just worship me
Or maybe it was misunderstood what it means.
You misunderstood it alright! :lol:
No. That’s you guy’s spiel.

But I understand why you do it. Your arguments are weaker than a Frenchman waiving a white flag.

Sure... they get people to meditate on nothingness, or believe that suffering is a virtue or that paradise can only be found after death, and they will become a self negating non-entity who will take tons of crap from the political and religious authorities without question daily for the rest of their lives... the sweat of their brow, thinking, producing only thorns and thistles.

And you think that taking young adults who are drowning in despair over the fact that they are being led like sheep to the slaughter into living lives of insanity can be cured by filling their heads with religious lies until they just give up the ghost and become happy idiots?

Brilliant!

It’s not religion’s fault young people are suffering from despair. It is society’s fault. We have become more materialistic and less spiritual. This is our predictable surprise.
It’s economic opportunity. Give a guy a career he will start and raise a good family.
Just think of all the women who lived under their husbands rule during that time. They weren’t happy but they sure were Christians. Do you think women were happier back then? Or did religion just help them cope?

Today these women have careers of their own and they don’t go to church or practice. I say they are happier.

And you’re making it sound worse than it is. Is there really so much despair in America? Why is it almost always white men who snap? Hardly ever women.
I love your ability to ignore reality and make really stupid comments. You are wise not to engage in that debate with me.

We all are. Some are awake and others have a movie playing in their head.

Don't be silly. It's annoying. Even supposing heaven does not exist, what I have been given in following my faith is having this life--and having it more abundantly. Religious teachings have worked out well for me in personal life. I find it is beginning to annoy me that non-believers are so certain of what people of faith believe or think. Many non-believers haven't a clue--only their own senseless suppositions of what they think religions teach and the faithful believe.

Wish letters from your great-great grandparents, especially your grandmothers, had survived and had been passed down to you. Yes, women were happy back then, and if you think your great-great grandmothers were under the thumbs of mere great-great grandfathers, look around. Your own great-great grandchildren would have more reason to believe today's men mistreat women than we have to believe our forefathers did.

they are a little confusing, how can they be on a journey if the are waiting for their messiah to return to take them where they say they are going
Not so confusing when you understand Jesus was already here to teach/show us the way to live this life, a way that extends into eternal life where we will be with him.

they are a little confusing, how can they be on a journey if the are waiting for their messiah to return to take them where they say they are going
Not so confusing when you understand Jesus was already here to teach/show us the way to live this life, a way that extends into eternal life where we will be with him.

there is a reason they are refereed to as them ... were they the Almighty which of course is nothing more than a 4th century fallacy. the religion of the roman empire. the prescribed religion is Triumph, you have to accomplish the feat yourself - merrily ever after.

Brilliant!

I love your ability to ignore reality and make really stupid comments. You are wise not to engage in that debate with me.
If scientists can’t wake you up what can I say that will make a difference.

The world knows I’m right. Only American Republicans deny global warming because your masters who do the most polluting tell you it’s the scientists not them who are lying.

You’re an idiot ding. That’s why I don’t engage .

And if you can argue an invisible god loves you and has a heaven waiting for you of course you believe global warming is fake.

This is a prime example of why I hate religion. It makes people ignore facts science logic and reason. It makes people stupid.

If scientists can’t wake you up what can I say that will make a difference.

The world knows I’m right. Only American Republicans deny global warming because your masters who do the most polluting tell you it’s the scientists not them who are lying.

You’re an idiot ding. That’s why I don’t engage .

And if you can argue an invisible god loves you and has a heaven waiting for you of course you believe global warming is fake.

This is a prime example of why I hate religion. It makes people ignore facts science logic and reason. It makes people stupid.
Then come and discuss it with me.

Are you scared?

Come present your facts.

Forum List

Back