Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
I am not arguing that God exists.

You don't like the idea that you are outnumbered probably 99 to 1 when it comes to some belief in deity.

Tough but there it is.

I see no problem with atheism being included in the material.

What is there to teach? No god, no heaven, no hell, just how we live this one life and hopefully leave it better for the next generation(s)

Class starts at 0800. Quiz at 0805. Then cookies. Yes, we brought cookies.

It is one thing to visualize a creator figure, like kicking a ball down the stairs to trigger the big bangs, or that the laws of science and math are like a mother nature or god controlling all things.
The idea that someone is manipulating life on earth or the universe, letting million die but favoring a few individuals, makes no logical sense. It might give one comfort to not feel alone but to pray and ask to win a football game while epidemics kill hundreds or an earthquake kills thousands and devastates a nation is not a nice "god" or one deserving of recognition.

Learning about god belongs in the church or home. Learning about religion in history and culture is teaching about the way people think and why they act, that belongs in a class room. It is understanding the psychology of the people at the time.

Why do people brutally massacre others for an empty promise of virgins and wine rather than act in peace and love of others that share the planet? For people like that, I wish there was a hell to relive every pain and suffering they inflicted on others over and over. Maybe to feel the pain of a suicide bomb in very slow motion.
What kind of god rewards brutality and allows innocents to suffer? Sorry, it makes no sense.

Children believe in fairy tales, but then they grow up and learn about people and the world. Fairy tales teach them to be cautions of stranger, to be good, to obey your parents. There are good and bad, there are morals, it gives hope of happy ending. So much easier than trying to teach a toddler about psychology, nature, law, life and death.

I agree. I cannot think of any time in history that it hasn't played some role or provided some clues whether it's the gossip of the times or defining who the movers and shakers were. It is a disservice to the public education system to remove it from the comparative religions section of social studies. We operate globally.

People that jump up and down about the pillars of Islam being taught remind me those folks that decided learning a foreign language is a bad thang. Well, here we are and it's 2016 and we don't have enough people that know Farsi or Arabic (and the dialects) or Russian or several other languages. That puts the US in a bad position of depending on someone else. It's literally setting kids up for failure.

Religion has been used and will continue to be used as a tool for ulterior motives. There is no denying it. It's used to hide behind individually as well. Sometimes it can hide mental illness.

I have lines drawn in the sand.

That said, I have spent the better part of a decade dealing with people that are in the middle of a crisis. So, no matter what I personally believe those situations aren't about me. It's not my job to walk in and tell an 80 year old woman facing mortality that she couldn't be more wrong. The dignity of being human. Do the least amount of harm.

We are in a situation where the majority of americans don't understand Islam or the reason people "over there" are so angry. We have even seen many muslims don't know their own faith and believe that america has to change to adapt to them, where the only freedom of religion is for muslims and no one else or even change politics to be compatible to Islam.

If people know a bit about what is and is not islam there will be less fear and more understanding when address philosophical differences. Right now everyone is scared of the PC police and saying something offensive.
It is not about teaching faith but teaching about how faith effects other aspects of history, politics, law, culture, literature, etc. Teaching a few points where there might be commonality to help communication or differences that need to be discussed frankly.

Right now it would seem that if you speak up or criticize there is a threat some radical will "kill you", so everyone has to say nothing.
We need frank exchange of ideas, fear and questions, without hate. Muslim have to question what others are doing in their name or making them feel like heretics for not sharing extreme views and practices.

The conversation cannot begin if we know nothing about the faiths we each share, or not. It is not teaching faith but having an intellectual discussion. We need to have a fundamental knowledge of the faith, the people it was addressed at, the time period it was written in and the way those people spoke to better understand the words they put so much meaning it.

If we can't speak to each other how do we find common ground for peace?

Learning about religion is not the same as teaching religion. I don't thing most people even understand that.

Religion can not be separated and put in a box on the shelf, it has to be included in understanding others. We should not be afraid of knowledge or free speech with others, not hate speech but frank open honest exchange.

Muslims need to do the same with their faith, question what they have been taught and how it fits in modern society and the US/west in particular. They need to disavow the hate and violence and speak of the inner peace they find in their faith and respect of other people they share this small planet with.

You can't prove God does not exist.

End of story.
And you can't prove he does so that's the end of your story.

Atheists should prove god doesn’t exist.

Russell’s teapot.
The burden of proof is on the person or party asserting the claim; in this case, the theist.
See also: The Dragon in my Garage by Carl Sagan, Invisible Pink Unicorn and Flying Spaghetti Monster.

circular argument tell others to prove a negative if you can't prove a positive.

I am not arguing that God exists.

You don't like the idea that you are outnumbered probably 99 to 1 when it comes to some belief in deity.

Tough but there it is.
1, doesn't matter how many people believe a lie as I've already said to you before. It's still a lie.

And I don't like it that the masses are stupid no. That's my beef with religion and belief in god. If it doesn't make people dumb it proves they are. Its a superstition and that's primitive. It is certainly not logical, rational or scientific.
“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
– Carl Sagan

We had no trouble handling "problem" Muslim fathers and brothers in East Texas and Salt Lake City.

Any trouble, they were told, would result immediately in jail, court ordered separation of fathers and brothers from family except under supervision, and any violations would result in huge fines and the penitentiary.

In SLC, several Muslim girls willingly left their families to live with Christian families when they were threatened with violence. They simply walked out, went to the Christian families, and called the police. Some of the girls converted to Christianity.

The way to deal any religious stupidity from any faith is with immediate and heavy intervention.

I see no problem with atheism being included in the material.

What is there to teach? No god, no heaven, no hell, just how we live this one life and hopefully leave it better for the next generation(s)

Class starts at 0800. Quiz at 0805. Then cookies. Yes, we brought cookies.

It is one thing to visualize a creator figure, like kicking a ball down the stairs to trigger the big bangs, or that the laws of science and math are like a mother nature or god controlling all things.
The idea that someone is manipulating life on earth or the universe, letting million die but favoring a few individuals, makes no logical sense. It might give one comfort to not feel alone but to pray and ask to win a football game while epidemics kill hundreds or an earthquake kills thousands and devastates a nation is not a nice "god" or one deserving of recognition.

Learning about god belongs in the church or home. Learning about religion in history and culture is teaching about the way people think and why they act, that belongs in a class room. It is understanding the psychology of the people at the time.

Why do people brutally massacre others for an empty promise of virgins and wine rather than act in peace and love of others that share the planet? For people like that, I wish there was a hell to relive every pain and suffering they inflicted on others over and over. Maybe to feel the pain of a suicide bomb in very slow motion.
What kind of god rewards brutality and allows innocents to suffer? Sorry, it makes no sense.

Children believe in fairy tales, but then they grow up and learn about people and the world. Fairy tales teach them to be cautions of stranger, to be good, to obey your parents. There are good and bad, there are morals, it gives hope of happy ending. So much easier than trying to teach a toddler about psychology, nature, law, life and death.

I agree. I cannot think of any time in history that it hasn't played some role or provided some clues whether it's the gossip of the times or defining who the movers and shakers were. It is a disservice to the public education system to remove it from the comparative religions section of social studies. We operate globally.

People that jump up and down about the pillars of Islam being taught remind me those folks that decided learning a foreign language is a bad thang. Well, here we are and it's 2016 and we don't have enough people that know Farsi or Arabic (and the dialects) or Russian or several other languages. That puts the US in a bad position of depending on someone else. It's literally setting kids up for failure.

Religion has been used and will continue to be used as a tool for ulterior motives. There is no denying it. It's used to hide behind individually as well. Sometimes it can hide mental illness.

I have lines drawn in the sand.

That said, I have spent the better part of a decade dealing with people that are in the middle of a crisis. So, no matter what I personally believe those situations aren't about me. It's not my job to walk in and tell an 80 year old woman facing mortality that she couldn't be more wrong. The dignity of being human. Do the least amount of harm.

We are in a situation where the majority of americans don't understand Islam or the reason people "over there" are so angry. We have even seen many muslims don't know their own faith and believe that america has to change to adapt to them, where the only freedom of religion is for muslims and no one else or even change politics to be compatible to Islam.

If people know a bit about what is and is not islam there will be less fear and more understanding when address philosophical differences. Right now everyone is scared of the PC police and saying something offensive.
It is not about teaching faith but teaching about how faith effects other aspects of history, politics, law, culture, literature, etc. Teaching a few points where there might be commonality to help communication or differences that need to be discussed frankly.

Right now it would seem that if you speak up or criticize there is a threat some radical will "kill you", so everyone has to say nothing.
We need frank exchange of ideas, fear and questions, without hate. Muslim have to question what others are doing in their name or making them feel like heretics for not sharing extreme views and practices.

The conversation cannot begin if we know nothing about the faiths we each share, or not. It is not teaching faith but having an intellectual discussion. We need to have a fundamental knowledge of the faith, the people it was addressed at, the time period it was written in and the way those people spoke to better understand the words they put so much meaning it.

If we can't speak to each other how do we find common ground for peace?

Learning about religion is not the same as teaching religion. I don't thing most people even understand that.

Religion can not be separated and put in a box on the shelf, it has to be included in understanding others. We should not be afraid of knowledge or free speech with others, not hate speech but frank open honest exchange.

Muslims need to do the same with their faith, question what they have been taught and how it fits in modern society and the US/west in particular. They need to disavow the hate and violence and speak of the inner peace they find in their faith and respect of other people they share this small planet with.

If it weren't for theistic behavior, this would be a simple friendly honest lively debate about how we all got here and if there is a creator or not. No need to be offended if one person believes in a creator and another does not, until/unless.

a. Someone says you'll go to hell for not believing
b. Someone harms you for not believing
c. Someone won't vote for you because you don't believe
d. Someone lies to you and tells you this god visited them and told them 10 commandments
e. Starts a war over their god

Other than those things, I love talking about if/why/why not people believe or don't believe in a creator.

When do the hard feelings come in? When you call bullshit on someone's fairytale. The only difference between Christianity and all the other lies and a fairytale is that they didn't happen a long long time ago in a far off place. They supposedly happened in real places and about 7000, 2000, 500 and 200 years ago.

Come on people are we this fucking stupid?

There's one thing I'm sure of.......Christians talk a mean game but that's as far as it goes. They ramble around in their new SUV's and take month long vacations and worry about how much their IRA's are bringing in each month while that is the direct opposite of what the new testament tells them to do. Most Christians know a few favorite verses about how they've been saved but ignore the ones which condemn their souls to hell. They should read the story of Lazrus and the rich man and the one which states that a rich man has as much chance of going to heaven that a camel has passing through the eye of a needle.
Have you killed any witches lately? What about snakes...do you pick them up?
PT Barnum said, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute" and as someone else at this forum has pointed out the
population of the world was half of what it is today when he said it. There's two suckers born every minute
and religious malarky proves it.

The Vatican City has accumulated hundreds of billions of dollars worth of fine art, gold, silver, jewelry
and unique edifices while nearly a billion, mostly children starve to death. Over 12,000 children starve
or die from malnutrition each day while the churches own more real property than any other entity
in the world except the governments.

Folks dress in their finest, get up bright and early each Sunday and show up in their new SUVs for an hour
and a half to drop off a few dollars of their earnings and it all gets spent for new buildings, additions
to the old one, stained glass, oak or mahogany pews, fancy steeples, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, youth programs for their own, religious retreats, preachers salaries, homes and expenses, self serving missionaries, etc. and the givers stop for a Sunday dinner at a favorite restaurant then go home feeling good about themselves for another week. THE POOR BE DAMNED!!
And when people leave the church the church itself becomes the thing in need of charity. All over metro Detroit churches are closing.

Maybe it's gods will

Money and power were the reason for the initiation of religions anyway......they played on the natural born fears of mankind.....the "why are we here" question. You think people are stupid now??? Try 2000 years ago!
Before organized religions they had mystics going around praying on people, reading their coffee cups or their palms. They just got organized.

You nailed it! All the people who are capable of believing a 2000 year old fairy tale got together and organized. They show up in the finest clothes, driving their new SUV's, listen to one of about a dozen bible verses selected by their bible thumping minister(who should get a real job) drop off their weekly contribution and go home feeling satisfied for another week. What a way to live.

Their money has built more real property and collected more money and treasure than any entity in the history of the world and they know that nearly one out of seven people on the planet are starving to death. That takes a real self centered individual and their families.
Reminds me of all us idiots running out to buy these lottery tickets. LOL. Where the hell is that money going? I guestimate that 25% of the money will actually go to the winner(s). So where is the other 75% going?

Whoever wins the lotto, the state is about to win $1 billion dollars CLEAR. WTF are they going to do with that money?
....SEE NEW THREAD FOR ALL ANSWERS

When do the hard feelings come in? When you call bullshit on someone's fairytale.

The anger comes when non-believers invent a fairy tale, tell the world this fairy tale is what the faithful "really" believe. Anger grows when non-believers pick and choose among minority denominations and broad brush the majority with some fallacy of the minority.

I can trace the anger in some non-believers to the fact they were not properly taught. Now some of these same people are amplifying what they were not properly taught to begin with into their own deceptions and gross falsehoods.

How to mitigate believer anger and disgust? Start with, "I don't believe in some old bearded guy in the sky." Stop with the "YOU believe in some old bearded guy in the sky." When people stick with the first, they are often surprised at how many believers agree. Continue with the "you's" and people will remain angry, not because of anyone's lack of belief, but because of the ignorance being spouted. We're hip deep in ignorance as it is. Let's not add to the pile.

Non-believers of almost any creed, secular or theist, love to tell believers what they believe.

Non-believers of almost any creed, secular or theist, love to tell believers what they believe.
Well here's the deal. The question is, "do you think religion should be taught in school?" Right?

Ok, so give me an example of what you would teach on day one?

This is one reason we don't teach god in school. Everyone thinks differently about it. It's personal.

Well here's the deal. The question is, "do you think religion should be taught in school?" Right?

This is one reason we don't teach god in school. Everyone thinks differently about it. It's personal.

not an expert here...

but you ask and I answer...

I would teach on day one that humans are insignificant - in this infinite Universe- and that humans can not create a speck of sand....and that SOMETHING bigger than us created all in this Infinite Universe .... all past present and future.....all time ... that...just for starters.

that's what I would teach on day one.

not an expert here...

I would teach on day one that humans are insignificant - in this infinite Universe- and that humans can not create a speck of sand....and that SOMETHING bigger than us created all in this Infinite Universe .... all past present and future.....all time ... that...just for starters.

That took ten seconds. What else are you going to teach? Come on, you know what I'm looking for.

Something? What is this something? You don't know? Class dismissed

not an expert here...

That took ten seconds. What else are you going to teach? Come on, you know what I'm looking for.

I would also teach that

Karma is a Law of human life.... that your actions have consequences and that you reap what you sow.....

that lesson alone can take several lives.

not an expert here...

I would also teach that

Karma is a Law of human life.... that your actions have consequences and that you reap what you sow.....

So you won't teach talking snakes and virgin birth events as fact? Is moses history or just a story?

not an expert here...

I would also teach that

So you won't teach talking snakes and virgin birth events as fact? Is moses history or just a story?

thing is....I'm not a teacher..

I only know what I know! :dunno::)

not an expert here...

I would also teach that

thing is....I'm not a teacher..

I only know what I know! :dunno::)
Clearly your religion shouldn't be taught in school.

But you know what Skye? You are the perfect example of people who claim to be religious but don't really believe anything other than "there must be something". I wish you'd be honest and admit you aren't really a Christian and you don't really buy any religion.

Because I tested you. I wanted to see if you'd defend the virgin birth story. If that's not true, what else about the story is a lie?

From a historical, philosophical and societal aspect yes it should/could be taught. Religion is inextricably intertwined with society.

Forum List

Back