Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
It's interesting to watch the nons- worry about the believers.

da025eb5f326aa7d1e77f58ed669e7a3.jpg

Fables%20of%20the%20Religious.png

religions / mythology should be taught in schools as history or an interdisciplinary course in sociology and psychology

albert_einstein_on_god_and_the_bible_by_fiskefyren-d7s6ssh.jpg

hell no...

Religion is faith
School should be for things that are real.

I have news for you Matty,

That Church on the corner in your town? THAT IS real.

Those people that governments fool into killing for a concept called god, those people are real, and if they kill you, that death will be real.

If you want to understand folks motivations, you need to understand those worldviews, and those worldviews, whether you believe them or not, are REAL.

If you do not understand the difference between a Protestant and a Catholic, or the difference between a Sunni and a Shia, then you AREN'T educated, you are just IGNORANT.

Whether you believe in God or not, billions do.

Thank you, MisterBeale.

There's one thing I'm sure of.......Christians talk a mean game but that's as far as it goes. They ramble around in their new SUV's and take month long vacations and worry about how much their IRA's are bringing in each month while that is the direct opposite of what the new testament tells them to do. Most Christians know a few favorite verses about how they've been saved but ignore the ones which condemn their souls to hell. They should read the story of Lazrus and the rich man and the one which states that a rich man has as much chance of going to heaven that a camel has passing through the eye of a needle.
The non-believers have half of the story.

Yes, the printing press, the increasing distribution of pamphlets and broadside and newspaper after 1800, the rise of telegraph and radio and movies and tv and internet -- all of that leads to awareness and understanding regarding religion, which is a very good thing.

But it never increases the American non-believers' share in a non-God world to more than 5%.

When it does, I am sure campbell and sealybobo et al will let us know.

Have you killed any witches lately? What about snakes...do you pick them up?

Yes, the printing press, the increasing distribution of pamphlets and broadside and newspaper after 1800, the rise of telegraph and radio and movies and tv and internet -- all of that leads to awareness and understanding regarding religion, which is a very good thing.

But it never increases the American non-believers' share in a non-God world to more than 5%.

PT Barnum said, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute" and as someone else at this forum has pointed out the
population of the world was half of what it is today when he said it. There's two suckers born every minute
and religious malarky proves it.

The Vatican City has accumulated hundreds of billions of dollars worth of fine art, gold, silver, jewelry
and unique edifices while nearly a billion, mostly children starve to death. Over 12,000 children starve
or die from malnutrition each day while the churches own more real property than any other entity
in the world except the governments.

Folks dress in their finest, get up bright and early each Sunday and show up in their new SUVs for an hour
and a half to drop off a few dollars of their earnings and it all gets spent for new buildings, additions
to the old one, stained glass, oak or mahogany pews, fancy steeples, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, youth programs for their own, religious retreats, preachers salaries, homes and expenses, self serving missionaries, etc. and the givers stop for a Sunday dinner at a favorite restaurant then go home feeling good about themselves for another week. THE POOR BE DAMNED!!
And when people leave the church the church itself becomes the thing in need of charity. All over metro Detroit churches are closing.

Maybe it's gods will

Money and power were the reason for the initiation of religions anyway......they played on the natural born fears of mankind.....the "why are we here" question. You think people are stupid now??? Try 2000 years ago!

2000 years ago? A blink of an eye. Think about it. We're soooo special to this god but we've only been around for about 100,000 years give or take? And modern history is only about 40,000 years give or take? We make up the last 40 seconds of the last minute of the last day of the cosmic calendar? That's literally NOTHING. We are just the newest species on one tiny rock. But apparently some humans think we are special and all this is for us.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)][/COLOR]

We
Most do, yes.
Lots of people believe in a god.

Argumentum ad populum. The popularity of an idea says nothing of its veracity.
Geocentrism, a flat earth, creationism, astrology, alchemy and the occult were all once pervasive beliefs.
Furthermore, religions are culturally relative and, for the most part, are inconsistent and mutually exclusive.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts
“A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.” – David Stevens

I am stating fact, unhappy one, not making an argument.

That you don't like it, little buddy, means nothing.

There's one thing I'm sure of.......Christians talk a mean game but that's as far as it goes. They ramble around in their new SUV's and take month long vacations and worry about how much their IRA's are bringing in each month while that is the direct opposite of what the new testament tells them to do. Most Christians know a few favorite verses about how they've been saved but ignore the ones which condemn their souls to hell. They should read the story of Lazrus and the rich man and the one which states that a rich man has as much chance of going to heaven that a camel has passing through the eye of a needle.

PT Barnum said, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute" and as someone else at this forum has pointed out the
population of the world was half of what it is today when he said it. There's two suckers born every minute

The Vatican City has accumulated hundreds of billions of dollars worth of fine art, gold, silver, jewelry
and unique edifices while nearly a billion, mostly children starve to death. Over 12,000 children starve
or die from malnutrition each day while the churches own more real property than any other entity

Folks dress in their finest, get up bright and early each Sunday and show up in their new SUVs for an hour
and a half to drop off a few dollars of their earnings and it all gets spent for new buildings, additions
to the old one, stained glass, oak or mahogany pews, fancy steeples, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, youth programs for their own, religious retreats, preachers salaries, homes and expenses, self serving missionaries, etc. and the givers stop for a Sunday dinner at a favorite restaurant then go home feeling good about themselves for another week. THE POOR BE DAMNED!!
And when people leave the church the church itself becomes the thing in need of charity. All over metro Detroit churches are closing.

Maybe it's gods will

Money and power were the reason for the initiation of religions anyway......they played on the natural born fears of mankind.....the "why are we here" question. You think people are stupid now??? Try 2000 years ago!
Before organized religions they had mystics going around praying on people, reading their coffee cups or their palms. They just got organized.

You nailed it! All the people who are capable of believing a 2000 year old fairy tale got together and organized. They show up in the finest clothes, driving their new SUV's, listen to one of about a dozen bible verses selected by their bible thumping minister(who should get a real job) drop off their weekly contribution and go home feeling satisfied for another week. What a way to live.

Their money has built more real property and collected more money and treasure than any entity in the history of the world and they know that nearly one out of seven people on the planet are starving to death. That takes a real self centered individual and their families.

religions / mythology should be taught in schools as history or an interdisciplinary course in sociology and psychology

albert_einstein_on_god_and_the_bible_by_fiskefyren-d7s6ssh.jpg

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

~Dr. Albert Einstein~ (excerpt from his obituary)

Whether you believe in God or not, billions do.

Thank you, MisterBeale.
I think that there are much more important things than religion to teach in public schools.
If it was true what could be more important?
Find out for yourself, is my advice.
I did find out for myself. It's not true and so that's why its not very important. I can god days/weeks/months without hearing anyone bring up god. Of course I'm not in a Muslim community where they pray 7 times a day.

It's not true for you, OK.

What are believe is not your worry, then.

Maybe it's gods will

Before organized religions they had mystics going around praying on people, reading their coffee cups or their palms. They just got organized.

You nailed it! All the people who are capable of believing a 2000 year old fairy tale got together and organized. They show up in the finest clothes, driving their new SUV's, listen to one of about a dozen bible verses selected by their bible thumping minister(who should get a real job) drop off their weekly contribution and go home feeling satisfied for another week. What a way to live.

Their money has built more real property and collected more money and treasure than any entity in the history of the world and they know that nearly one out of seven people on the planet are starving to death. That takes a real self centered individual and their families.
Reminds me of all us idiots running out to buy these lottery tickets. LOL. Where the hell is that money going? I guestimate that 25% of the money will actually go to the winner(s). So where is the other 75% going?

Whoever wins the lotto, the state is about to win $1 billion dollars CLEAR. WTF are they going to do with that money?

This is what the nons- are doing

images
What is the truth and what evidence do you use to support this so called truth? We are all ears. Do you think we would deny the existence of god if we thought for a second he might be real?

And keep in mind I am completely open to there being a creator of the cosmos. I just don't buy that this creator came to earth and told your ancestors anything. So I'm not really calling out god. I'm calling out your religion. This "god" thing might exist but I see no evidence it cares or finds you to be special in the grand scheme of things. That's just your primitive superstitious brainwashed human mind telling you that. Its called wishful thinking.

Forum List

Back