🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should the "Ride the Duck" vehicles be taken off the road?

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
PNW
After the death of five people as a result of an amphibious vehicle colliding with a charter bus, should we consider removing the vehicle off crowded public streets?

The accident happened on the narrow Aurora bridge in the north part of Seattle, WA.

The mere style of the Duck makes it tough to drive, tough to maneuver, has many blind spots. The shape and weight of the Duck makes it a dangerous object if in a collision as seen be the result of the charter bus.

I am sure lawsuits will follow as information is released. The sad thing is the motorcoach company, who has an impeccable safety record, is probably going to be sued, along with the college, the motorcoach manufacturer, the Duck, and the two drivers.

5th crash victim dies; NTSB says Duck did not receive recommended safety fix

What say you?

261cccc2e2210dc1b3b4a06977f6281a.jpg
f803ae7e7b1135f480ac3eccfa3df448.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you think it's a little reactionary to call for these buses to be outlawed based on a single accident?

I'm not reacting either way. I am asking a question.

There is a history of problems with the vehicles. A Ride the Duck ran over a man and his motorcycle in Seattle.

Don't you think it's a little reactionary to call for these buses to be outlawed based on a single accident?
The "Duck" is NOT a bus. It's a WW2 military item. They were not road legal when I lived there. You grabbed one at the shore line.

They have been "road legal" in numerous cities around the world, for at least the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure the first time I rode one was in the mid nighties.

7794465540_1ee538dd10_z.jpg

The "Duck" is NOT a bus. It's a WW2 military item. They were not road legal when I lived there. You grabbed one at the shore line.

They use them for tours and are on the streets of Seattle daily, well up until Thursday.

At first I thought it said, "should the ride the dick vehicles be taken off the road"...It took until I opened up the link and looked at the paragraphs.

I was of course thinking of a south park show where the teacher designs this thing with a pole that rams up your ass...

Dark Fury, there are wheels on the things for a reason.

They are called "amphibious" for a reason.

The safety record for the DUKWs is no worse than that of tour buses. If we outlaw every vehicle that's ever in a wreck, we'll all be walking soon.

The safety record for the DUKWs is no worse than that of tour buses. If we outlaw every vehicle that's ever in a wreck, we'll all be walking soon.
It was designed for WW2 military road use NOT civilian road use.

After the death of five people as a result of an amphibious vehicle colliding with a charter bus, should we consider removing the vehicle off crowded public streets?

The accident happened on the narrow Aurora bridge in the north part of Seattle, WA.

The mere style of the Duck makes it tough to drive, tough to maneuver, has many blind spots. The shape and weight of the Duck makes it a dangerous object if in a collision as seen be the result of the charter bus.

I am sure lawsuits will follow as information is released. The sad thing is the motorcoach company, who has an impeccable safety record, is probably going to be sued, along with the college, the motorcoach manufacturer, the Duck, and the two drivers.

What say you?

I say you haven't proven your case.

The article points to a safety fix that wasn't done on this DUKW. You haven't provided any facts to support any of your claims- perhaps you are right - but why should we assume that you are?

They are very old vehicles and perhaps they shouldn't be on the road- on the other hand- this is the first accident I have heard of with one of them- and there are a surprising number of them still in use.

So was my Jeep CJ5. Nevertheless, it's road legal.

So was my Jeep CJ5. Nevertheless, it's road legal.
The CJ2 would be time period correct NOT the 5. And it WAS designed as a multi use.

The duck bus in the accident was safety checked and certified last year and this year as well. This must have been an isolated incident, although I did see coverage about an axel that came off being examined the concern was at what point did the axel separate--before impact or a result thereof.

I worked as a tour guide on the ducks in NY years ago. I felt no more in danger than on any other form of transportation.

I would feel safe in a Duck, not sure I'd feel the same if the one hit me. :)

That said, did you drive one? The report a former driver said it was a difficult rig to drive. He also said they were trained very well before they were allowed to drive them on the streets.

The duck bus in the accident was safety checked and certified last year and this year as well. This must have been an isolated incident, although I did see coverage about an axel that came off being examined the concern was at what point did the axel separate--before impact or a result thereof.

The UTC inspected them in 2012. The Coast Guard requires an inspection every year.

The axel shearing seems to coincide with the reports of witnesses that said it appeared that something happened to the Duck bus just before it turned into the bus.

The other issue in this accident is the bridge is a narrow six lane bridge with no barrier between the north and south bound traffic. Would a barrier stopped the Duck?

What say you?

I say you haven't proven your case.

The article points to a safety fix that wasn't done on this DUKW. You haven't provided any facts to support any of your claims- perhaps you are right - but why should we assume that you are?

They are very old vehicles and perhaps they shouldn't be on the road- on the other hand- this is the first accident I have heard of with one of them- and there are a surprising number of them still in use.

What is my case, I am asking the question. Please don't assume I want the Duck banned, many of us in the trucking industry have been discussing the accident and trying to learn on how to prevent these types of accidents. I'm not sure I wouldn't like the motorcoach or the duck go across the Aurora bridge.

They refurbished the Ducks in 2005.

The Duck is difficult to drive but there is extensive training involved. Blind spots are a concern with many large vehicles, the Duck is no different. The motorcoach has blind spots, even with the mirror set ups, there are blind spots. It's a fact of life.

Forum List

Back