Should the Social Security and Medicare Age be Raised

Save 10 cents on the dollar or more if you can of your salary for your entire life invest in a balanced portfolio.

Absolutely!

You should be the first person you pay out of your paycheck. And it should be at least 10 percent without exception and forever!

Because if you can't live on 90 percent of your pay, chances are you can't live on 100 percent of it either so may as well save that 10 percent for yourself.

No it's not.

Save 10 cents on the dollar or more if you can of your salary for your entire life invest in a balanced portfolio.

Don't buy shit you don't need

Live below your means.

That's how I retired at 51
Horse shit.

NO one (barring absolutes) making average to below average pay can save that kind of money. You just can't set aside 10% of what is an already inadequate salary. Most of those people are living in a deficit to start with

We are the fattest country in the world. Our diets are terrible and we flat lined in life expectancy the last couple of years. We are not in great shape and this goes double for our senior citizens. Very few are gifted with the ability to abuse their bodies and still be in great shape once they get older. Living longer does not mean living better.
We are the 14th fattest country in the world.

Nevertheless, we are the victims of our own prosperity and high fructose corn syrup. Gotta keep making bank for our corn growers, you know.

Our life expectancy flat-lined because of Covid. That will pass.

Even if it doesn't, if we index the retirement age to 9 percent of the population, Social Security will always be solvent.

Part of why we're fat is that the shit that makes us fat (like corn syrup) is CHEAP

Gym memberships and gym equipment cost money and time that a big chunk of folks can't afford. Of course those telling us how easy all this is CAN afford those things as well as better healthier food

I get it, but I don't think it's that easy. Just because we are living longer doesn't mean the quality of life is good.

Again, if you are someone who sat behind a desk all your life, went to the gym regularly, worked 40 hours a week and made great money, yeah, life at 70 might be good, but if you spent a life behind the wheel of a truck, or working in a mine, or doing many other physically strenuous jobs, for 80 hours a week, you may not have a good quality of life at 70.
I don't know about the other careers you mentioned, but truckers are not allowed to work 80 hours a week. They are strictly regulated.

And the coal miner of today is not as belabored as the old school miners. Their jobs are easier than in days of old with pickaxes and shovels. It is still tough work, yes, but there are not anywhere near as many coal miners today because they have been replaced by technology such as rock crushers and shovel springs.

And a coal mining job pays well. They should easily be able to support themselves in retirement.

Last edited:
And the coal miner of today is not nearly as belabored as the old school miners. Their jobs are much easier than in days of old with pickaxes and shovels.
it's still FAR tougher than working behind a desk
What's more, there are not anywhere near as many coal miners today because they have been replaced by technology such as rock crushers and shovel springs.
So just fuck em?

So just fuck em?
According to Trump, yes.

PLAYBOY: What satisfaction, exactly, do you get out of doing a deal?

TRUMP: I love the creative process. I do what I do out of pure enjoyment. Hopefully, nobody does it better. There’s a beauty to making a great deal. It’s my canvas. And I like painting it.

I like the challenge and tell the story of the coal miner’s son. The coal miner gets black-lung disease, his son gets it, then his son . If I had been the son of a coal miner, I would have left the damn mines. But most people don’t have the imagination–or whatever–to leave their mine. They don’t have “it.”

PLAYBOY: Which is?

TRUMP: “It” is an ability to become an entrepreneur, a great athlete, a great writer. You’re either born with it or you’re not. Ability can be honed, perfected or neglected. The day Jack Nicklaus came into this world, he had more innate ability to play golf than anybody else.

Trump spit right in the faces of coal miners in that interview. Trump considered coal miners to be too stupid to get another career. Trump said they don't have "it". He said they are genetic losers.

A lot of the working class doesn't have time or money to go to gyms after working at a couple of part time jobs. Healthy eating is expensive and many in the working class can't afford much more than cup o soup. Many rent rooms and don't have much more than a microwave. It's always been pretty much this way but got much worse since Mc Reagan. Things won't get better since almost half the working class cluelessly vote republican.

Last edited:
HUH?

Basically and in simple terms...You get full Benefits at 67. Every year earlier you lose approx 10% and you get that rate forever.

If you hold out past 67 the rate increases by approx that amount

EDIT: This was bad information. Deleted.

WW

Last edited:

Forum List

Back