Should Trump freeze prices to prevent coronavirus gouging?

Should Trump freeze prices to prevent gouging?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Consumers face coronavirus price-gouging

As fears over the coronavirus grow, people are frantically buying up supplies and leaving store shelves empty. Prices are also sky-rocketing online as demand grows, such as two large bottles of Purell hand sanitizer on sale for nearly $300 on Amazon. The same size normally sells for about $9 a bottle. An Amazon spokesperson says the company does not allow price gouging and it has "recently blocked or removed tens of thousands of offers." Anna Werner reports from a pharmacy in Manhattan on how coronavirus price gouging is affecting consumers.

How coronavirus price-gouging is hurting consumers

Have you experienced price gouging? I've heard several people say that they have. Since I don't do much shopping, I can't speak to any personal experiences - yet.

All I know is gas has dropped nicely due to lower demand.

Haven't had to fight for toilet paper or Lysol yet.

But I am not a panicky idiot either.

Why wouldn't Trump freeze prices to prevent gouging?

Because no where in the constitution is that spelled out as one of his duties or the duties of the federal government.

Oh yeah....forgot....the constitution only applies when you want it to apply.

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Do you not remember this... “I am today ordering a freeze on all prices and wages throughout the United States.”

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

Should not have happened.

Who was the head of SCOTUS...Earl Warren. The biggest fuck up a judge in the hisotry of the country (with the exception of Ginsburg).

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Do you not remember this... “I am today ordering a freeze on all prices and wages throughout the United States.”

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

It was unconstitutional, and counterproductive, when Nixon did it.

counterproductive is an understatement...but it was never found to be unconstitutional

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

counterproductive is an understatement...but it was never found to be unconstitutional

Like so many other unconstitutional things the government does......

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

Please show where the Consitution gives them this capability.

Price gouging will not happen unless there is a shortage. So far at least around here there is no shortage.

You want lots of new companies to get into the face mask business, for example, to meet the demand. Higher prices can help provide the incentive to do that and to create competition that will reduce gouging.

Last edited:

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

Please show where the Consitution gives them this capability.

It has been done multiple times, WWII, Nixon, Carter. I do not know their reasoning, but I know it has never found to be unconstitutional

Forum List

Back