Should we remove the ability of POTUS to pardon anyone?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Why should POTUS be able to excuse anyone from legal punishment?

It seems like bullshit to me.

It would take a constitutional amendment to remove pardon powers from the presidency. Normally the president at the end of his term in office will instruct the DOJ to give him a list of recommendations for pardon and he will select from that list whom he wishes to cut lose. There is usually no problem with this until the president unilaterally uses this power in an overtly political way.

Funny, I never thought of that before. You're right--it's pretty king-like, isn't it?
I guess it has always been a leader's prerogative, though--like Governors who can pardon a man on death row. He who doles out punishment can also hand out mercy, I guess. Yet another check against the power of the courts.

Funny, I never thought of that before. You're right--it's pretty king-like, isn't it?
I guess it has always been a leader's prerogative, though--like Governors who can pardon a man on death row. He who doles out punishment can also hand out mercy, I guess. Yet another check against the power of the courts.
... in this last case to prevent a check on the power of the police state.

It is a check on the Judicial system. So no, we should not get rid of the power to pardon. It is part of the checks and balances to keep a judicial system from indicting and punishing people unfairly....

It seems like every POTUS has abused its intent.

Clinton pardon tax cheats. Bush pardoned spies, Obama pardoned guys like this:

James Robert Adelman

Offense:

Conspiracy to embezzle by trustee or officer; embezzlement by trustee (five counts); making a false account (Northern District of Oklahoma)

Sentence:

12 years' imprisonment; $350,000 restitution (February 27, 1989)

Trump pardoned a racist...

Let's just remove the ability of any POTUS to pardon everyone..,they all abuse it.

If the man were still in office I would think differently about it, but he's a washed up has been and he's 85 years old. Harmless now. I don't mind that he didn't go to jail. The sentence itself probably hurt him more than six months in solitary would hurt him. For his own safety, they could never house him in his own tent city or any other general population. Nor could they any sheriff anywhere. So no, I'm not all up in arms about this one. It sure doesn't surprise me, either, Trump using his new powers to get his buds off. He'll keep trying it, just like he did with Flynn, and will try with others.

You'll be pooping out of the other cheek when he pardons the senator from NJ.

If the man were still in office I would think differently about it, but he's a washed up has been and he's 85 years old. Harmless now. I don't mind that he didn't go to jail. The sentence itself probably hurt him more than six months in solitary would hurt him. For his own safety, they could never house him in his own tent city or any other general population. Nor could they any sheriff anywhere. So no, I'm not all up in arms about this one. It sure doesn't surprise me, either, Trump using his new powers to get his buds off. He'll keep trying it, just like he did with Flynn, and will try with others.
We've got cops murdering unarmed citizens in the streets, militarized police depts using force on "certain" peaceful protesters and corporate for profit prisons with convict leasing.

You'll be pooping out of the other cheek when he pardons the senator from NJ.
No, you would.

It is a check on the Judicial system. So no, we should not get rid of the power to pardon. It is part of the checks and balances to keep a judicial system from indicting and punishing people unfairly....
Ah yes, "unfairly". Joe was treated so "unfairly".

It seems like every POTUS has abused its intent.

Clinton pardon tax cheats. Bush pardoned spies, Obama pardoned guys like this:

James Robert Adelman

Offense:

Conspiracy to embezzle by trustee or officer; embezzlement by trustee (five counts); making a false account (Northern District of Oklahoma)

Sentence:

12 years' imprisonment; $350,000 restitution (February 27, 1989)

Trump pardoned a racist...

Let's just remove the ability of any POTUS to pardon everyone..,they all abuse it.

No....Trump did not pardon a racist...that you call him one shows you are an asshole....

Yes...he was....he was denied a jury trial...one of the core beliefs of our justice system.....he was targeted for doing his job by an obama minion....

We've got cops murdering unarmed citizens in the streets, militarized police depts using force on "certain" peaceful protesters and corporate for profit prisons with convict leasing.
militarized police depts using force on "certain" peaceful protesters
I guess I missed that one?
cops murdering unarmed citizens in the streets
That seems to have slowed down a lot, thank the Lord. Maybe they're getting the message?
corporate for profit prisons with convict leasing
I don't know much about that. All prisons need to make money enough to run, though, Fenton. And convicts are never forced to work.

Yes...he was....he was denied a jury trial...one of the core beliefs of our justice system.....he was targeted for doing his job by an obama minion....
Unfair I say, unfair.

No.
I can't see Trump handing out pardons like previous presidents have.

The one he did give was to correct another obama era mistake.

Last edited:
Every POTUS is a POS and should not have the power of the pardon. It's too easily abused.

You know that he was convicted of federal charges which means no state prison at all. No general population at all. Minimum security federal prisons are called Club Fed for a reason. There are private rooms, television with cable and bring the golf clubs.

POTUS should be above the law....right?

Be it a Democrat or Republican President, they shouldn't be allowed to unilaterally pardon convicted criminals.

Forum List

Back