Should you be fined $300 for feeding someone homeless

Facts are interesting things.

If you as an individual give a homeless person in Miami something to eat, you will have no problems.

If you as part of a group, sets up an improvised soup kitchen and don't follow food safety rules and/or don't clean up after yourselves you will get fined.

I don't see the problem.

Ravi, aren't there already littering laws on the books? Fine people who litter under existing law then. Are there food safety standards inspectors? Have them monitor and (where appropriate) educate these groups about those standards, just like any other food service establishment.
I don't see the problem in that.
Where this law is foul is that it specifically singles out those who work to ease the pain and indignity of hunger and homelessness for "special" attention and heftier fines, all at a time where those problems are increasing.
btw, Barb...the penalty for littering in Florida could be a misdemeanor conviction and $500, so in reality it would be cheaper for these groups to get permitted.

Okay, I see your point. I still would hope the powers that be would exert more outreach towards getting them permitted rather than discouraging them with fines for not already holding a permit. The heart does what the heart will do. So sometimes the head is soft as well? So teach them how to help without causing a bigger problem instead of punishing them for doing so imperfectly.

The obvious question, "Which political party votes against helping veterans again and again?"

None, you dumb ass.

YouTube - John McCain Gets Testy With Vet Over GI Bill

This is a fine example of how votes go down and the deeper meaning of the how and why is lost:

McCain didn't vote against it he abstained. But of course an abstention serves the same end result. He did so because they're were factors he didn't agree with. The main issue he had is the bill would pay service members the same amount no matter how long you serve. McCain wanted bonuses for those who served longer terms than others. You have to know the details of the bill.

McCain already had a bill in the system to revamp the GI Bill before Senator Webb offered his update to the the GI Bill came out. But Reid/Pelosi put McCain's bill aside and blocked it from being voted on just so they could let Webb, a Democrat get the credit.

McCain's version added more benefits for people who stayed in longer or served in combat regardless of time they'd spent in the military. Webb's bill gave the full list of benefits to everyone right off the bat, even those that never served in combat. McCain did not vote for Webb's bill because he was still trying to keep up the effort for his, which was a bill that gave more benefits for combat soldiers over non combat soldiers.

One study estimated that Senator Webb's bill would reduce retention rates by 16%

Ravi, aren't there already littering laws on the books? Fine people who litter under existing law then. Are there food safety standards inspectors? Have them monitor and (where appropriate) educate these groups about those standards, just like any other food service establishment.
Where this law is foul is that it specifically singles out those who work to ease the pain and indignity of hunger and homelessness for "special" attention and heftier fines, all at a time where those problems are increasing.
btw, Barb...the penalty for littering in Florida could be a misdemeanor conviction and $500, so in reality it would be cheaper for these groups to get permitted.

Okay, I see your point. I still would hope the powers that be would exert more outreach towards getting them permitted rather than discouraging them with fines for not already holding a permit. The heart does what the heart will do. So sometimes the head is soft as well? So teach them how to help without causing a bigger problem instead of punishing them for doing so imperfectly.
I know what you are saying as well. But like I said, there is a perfectly good shelter in place and if these other people are trying to be altruistic they should have no problem following the rules. It is possible to feed the homeless and be good citizens all at the same time.

I know what you are saying as well. But like I said, there is a perfectly good shelter in place and if these other people are trying to be altruistic they should have no problem following the rules. It is possible to feed the homeless and be good citizens all at the same time.

But that's my point. The one shelter shouldn't be the only option. TEACH them what the rules are and how to follow them. There are lots of new homeless about, they don't all trust shelters. Those who wish to help should be assisted in re: technique and existing laws, not discouraged from doing what they can to ease the strain. Publicly funded shelters and all serviced are drastically underfunded in this economy. State governors are cutting funds to publicly run agencies drastically at a time when they are most needed, and all hands on deck would seem to be the order of the day. Punishment as opposed to outreach in these cases is counter-intuitive given the reality.

But that's my point. The one shelter shouldn't be the only option. TEACH them what the rules are and how to follow them. There are lots of new homeless about, they don't all trust shelters. Those who wish to help should be assisted in re: technique and existing laws, not discouraged from doing what they can to ease the strain. Publicly funded shelters and all serviced are drastically underfunded in this economy. State governors are cutting funds to publicly run agencies drastically at a time when they are most needed, and all hands on deck would seem to be the order of the day. Punishment as opposed to outreach in these cases is counter-intuitive given the reality.
But this is exactly what Miami is doing...teaching these people proper food safety and litter control.

I still fail to see a problem.

If you as an individual give a homeless person in Miami something to eat, you will have no problems.

If you as part of a group, sets up an improvised soup kitchen and don't follow food safety rules and/or don't clean up after yourselves you will get fined.

I don't see the problem.

How much does the permitting cost?

I dunno...apparently the City of Miami decided not to go through with it for now.

Good, its an official sign, it says god bless. If you ask these people to work and you will get them food they tell you to fuck off. I have offered food and been rejected, they didnt want food they wanted money. The most honest sign i have ever seen was

"Need money for beer"

They don't want to work for food they want money god bless.

I admit that had been the case for the last 20 years or so but recently I have ran into people who actually were willing to work. 2 weeks ago I picked up a hitch-hiker & drove him 225 miles. I asked him if he needed money, food or to be dropped at a shelter but all he wanted was a ride. Shocking.

There are ALREADY laws against littering.

No new law is necessary if THAT is the problem.

This law is aimed at well intentioned groups that feed the homeless en masse and don't clean up the resulting litter...and don't follow food safety laws.

Individuals are still free to hand over their leftovers to anyone they please. And groups are allowed to feed the homeless as long as they abide by food safety rules and litter rules.

Can't blame the Republicans anymore?

Whoever it is aimed at, it is stupid.

I don't see the problem.

That is basically what they are doing...forcing the dogooders to keep the food cold and bacteria free and clean up after themselves.

There is a perfectly good shelter in the area that feeds the homeless with plenty of food to go around.

Why can't a church get together and feed the homeless? For that matter, I know of a vegetarian group that regularly gets together and passes out food to homeless people.

Shelters are filthy and dangerous places, and a lot of homeless people prefer not to go to them. This law will actually hurt homeless people by forcing them to scrounge for food. Why don't you go eat at a shelter on a regular basis?

Good, its an official sign, it says god bless. If you ask these people to work and you will get them food they tell you to fuck off. I have offered food and been rejected, they didnt want food they wanted money. The most honest sign i have ever seen was

"Need money for beer"

I have given food to those with signs along side the road and always been thanked.

I admit it, I avoid homeless people...at least grown men. They scare me. But it is a tragedy.

I volunteered with my command to work at homeless shelters in San Diego. It is amazing how many of them are vets. Amazing!

Those people there didn't scare me in any way and seeing FAMILIES there really tore me up. It is so damn depressing working there but it does do something for you to volunteer to help in any way. We did the habitat for humanity thing as well. The last project was to roof an elderly ladies home and we all knew there was no way she could have ever afforded that.

It is just sad but it makes you really look at yourself hard because most people are three pay checks away from being homeless.

I admit it, I avoid homeless people...at least grown men. They scare me. But it is a tragedy.

I see them a minimum of once a week, when I go to the church to hand out lunches to the homeless. They don't scare me. Most of them are grown men. I've only seen one that was drunk and one that was having withdrawal symptoms. Not bad considering I've been doing this for well over a year.

This sounds too retarded to be true.

Link, please.

Why are you people so lazy?

Go to the address bar at the top of your browser. Where is says, "Search", paste, "300 dollar fine for feeding the homeless" then hit enter. You can take your pick from which news service you want to read about it.

And shame on you Madeline for hitting thanks. Thanks for being lazy.

Most people (and when I say most, I mean damn near the entire board) put links in OPs they create that report some kind of news. It's kinda like a board policy and it ain't that fucking hard, dean.

And most of the time I do, but when something is on every news wire and being discussed everywhere, then why bother?

Republican politicians have so much sympathy for the poor. It's why they went on 4th of July holiday. To give those without a job or unemployment a moment to celebrate and not think about being poor.

"Need money for beer"

I admit that had been the case for the last 20 years or so but recently I have ran into people who actually were willing to work. 2 weeks ago I picked up a hitch-hiker & drove him 225 miles. I asked him if he needed money, food or to be dropped at a shelter but all he wanted was a ride. Shocking.

I live in a city where the signs are a way of living. They are like hookers, each with a corner that they defend. It has moved from corners to stop sighs at off ramps, and walking between cars at red light. I also live in a city where you will never go hungry. We have more hand out food organizations then I can count. Here, I don't believe the signs.

We had a prepretual sign holder out in front of the bank a few doors down. I wanted to help him out and asked him if he would like to wash our front windows for lunch. (staff meal was grilled chicken sandwiches and salad)

He said sure but I want:

One dozen oysters Rockefeller
Ceaser salad
Lobster ravioli (from the dinner menu)
Cheesecake
and beer.

"Need money for beer"

I have given food to those with signs along side the road and always been thanked.

And I have been flat told that they don't want the food.

That is basically what they are doing...forcing the dogooders to keep the food cold and bacteria free and clean up after themselves.

There is a perfectly good shelter in the area that feeds the homeless with plenty of food to go around.

Why can't a church get together and feed the homeless? For that matter, I know of a vegetarian group that regularly gets together and passes out food to homeless people.

Shelters are filthy and dangerous places, and a lot of homeless people prefer not to go to them. This law will actually hurt homeless people by forcing them to scrounge for food. Why don't you go eat at a shelter on a regular basis?
They can, as long as they clean up after themselves and practice food safety...why is this so hard to accept?

There is nothing wrong with the soup kitchen in the neighborhood that has been feeding the homeless since the 1960s.

btw, they backed down. People are once again free to trash the neighborhood...just like the illegals along the border that everyone is so up in arms against. :lol:

Forum List

Back