So much for "green tech"...

I consider myself an environmentalist-realist. A lot of the shit that is touted as 'green' simply isn't.

Take recycling, for example. I stopped doing it because only 5% - if that much - gets recycled, and the types of things that are recycled are limited. So I blatantly and willfully ignore my apartment complex's stupid rules on recycling and laugh as I throw plastic into the "trash" bin.

EVs are the latest environmental fad. I won't be getting an EV anytime soon and I would consider mass transit authority investment into EV fleets to be a colossal waste of taxpayer resources. Hybrids? I'm all for that, but the rush into EVs is just a massive Ponzi that's getting ground-level investors rich at our expense.

Wanna save the planet? Consume less and advocate for real technologies of the future like hydrogen or nuclear fusion, and pray to God that we can develop and scale them by the year 2030.
This is where I stand also. Government green mandates do nothing but harbor resentment.

This is where I stand also. Government green mandates do nothing but harbor resentment.

Some green mandates could work, I s'pose, but mandating or trying to create a market with emerging/developing technology without fully realizing the full costs seems like a trap of unintended consequences. Biofuels is another classic example. European palm oil demand has devastated rainforests in SE Asia, and ethanol demand in the US reduces fuel efficiency and jacks up the price of food.

Fuel efficiency standards and plastic bag recycling bans or surcharges? Those actually work because they reduce consumption, which is the most environmentally conscious thing we can do.

Some green mandates could work, I s'pose, but mandating or trying to create a market with emerging/developing technology without fully realizing the full costs seems like a trap of unintended consequences. Biofuels is another classic example. European palm oil demand has devastated rainforests in SE Asia, and ethanol demand in the US reduces fuel efficiency and jacks up the price of food.

Fuel efficiency standards and plastic bag recycling bans or surcharges? Those actually work because they reduce consumption, which is the most environmentally conscious thing we can do.
As a CMV operator since 1999, I've relied on diesel as the go-to for my work. I also operate CNG buses on Saturdays. From what I understand, diesel with a good DEF particulate setup, burns far cleaner than CNG bar none, and yet still will run heads and shoulders better than any Battery-Electric bus.

Forum List

Back