So what happens if Biden or Trump die before the election?

The VP gets in, that’s their only job....

They aren't VP unless elected and if both Presidential Candidates die before the election, I imagine that both parties are going to have to put up two new people fast. Who knows, may the Republicans and put up someone writing home about for a change. The Dems will still put up the same old crap.

~~~~~~
Actually Michael Pence would still be considered Vice President if Trump died before the election and would be so until 20 Jan... Pence could become the next president in that scenario.
Since Biden does not hold office, there would be no vice presidency for Harris to succeed. Then God forbid, the Speaker of the House wooul assume the president.

And a special election would have to be held. The Speaker would only temporarily hold that position.

You're correct.....

They aren't VP unless elected and if both Presidential Candidates die before the election, I imagine that both parties are going to have to put up two new people fast. Who knows, may the Republicans and put up someone writing home about for a change. The Dems will still put up the same old crap.

~~~~~~
Actually Michael Pence would still be considered Vice President if Trump died before the election and would be so until 20 Jan... Pence could become the next president in that scenario.
Since Biden does not hold office, there would be no vice presidency for Harris to succeed. Then God forbid, the Speaker of the House wooul assume the president.

And a special election would have to be held. The Speaker would only temporarily hold that position.

And maybe the dogs will come home at that point. But I imagine they will all bite us for putting them through that misery.

Before the election it has been my understanding the political party names a substitute.

According to How-Stuff-Works website both parties have rules for naming their substitute.

If a candidate dies before the general election but after they've secured their party's nomination, it's a relatively simple fix: The deceased candidate's party picks a replacement (who may or may not be the vice presidential candidate from the ticket), and that replacement is on the ballot on Election Day. Both the Republican and the Democratic parties have rules about how their parties would fill the vacancy.​
The problem I'm aware of is the death of the winning candidate after the election and before Congress counts the vote on January 6th (7th if the 6th falls on a Sunday). Problem is that congress has never provided a legal definition of "president-elect". For sure it applies to the candidate that wins the count of the electoral votes that takes place on the 6th. But beforehand?

Last edited:
I dont think there is a legal precedent.

Would Harris replace Biden, or Pence replace Trump on their ballots?

Would the DNC/RNC have an emergency vote to replace their candidate?

I am seriously curious, I dont find anything on the interwebs, and I guess it is determined by party rules, but I cant find anything.

What happens?
We can only hope.

The ballots could not be changed in time. It’s a ticket, Pres and VP. If the ticket wins, the VP will be sworn in as President on Inauguration Day.
No, the winner of the VP vote would be sworn in as VP.

If the Biden/Harris ticket won 270 even though Biden died, he obviously would become ineligible and never become president. The president would be chosen by a vote in the house, with the reps from each state getting one vote. And Trump would easily win the majority of that vote (26).

So it's possible that on Jan. 20, 2021 Trump will continue to be president and Harris will become vice president.

Last edited:

The ballots could not be changed in time. It’s a ticket, Pres and VP. If the ticket wins, the VP will be sworn in as President on Inauguration Day.

If the Biden/Harris ticket won 270 even though Biden died, he obviously would become ineligible and never become president. The president would be chosen by a vote in the house, with the reps from each state getting one vote. And Trump would easily win the majority of that vote (26).

So it's possible that on Jan. 20, 2021 Trump will continue to be president and Harris will become vice president.

Or Rump would be voted Inmate of the Year if the Dems won the ticket. The Dems outnumber the Reps in the house. I doubt if even a single one would vote for Rump.

Yup and that makes sense but it sure would be strange if both candidates for POTUS drop dead at the same time.

Agrée

Donot think any other candidate has time to get on state ballots, many of which are already going out

Donot think any other candidate has time to get on state ballots, many of which are already going out

I doubt it matters all that much. On election day the only people that are truly elected are the state delegates to the electoral college.

I hate to get morbid but let's say Trump dies on the eve of the election but still wins the election. In all the states that Trump won his slate of electors will be casting their electoral votes in December. I would say in this case the "Faithless delegates" would be those that do not vote for the RNC's substitute candidate. But they do so at risk of tossing the election to the Congress if their division results in an electoral vote less than 270 for any Republican.

I am seriously curious, I dont find anything on the interwebs, and I guess it is determined by party rules, but I cant find anything.

What happens?

If Trump somehow died, Pence would step in as president until Jan. 21 and the GOP would have to decide I think if they wanted to keep him on the ticket as the new POTUS candidate.

If Biden died, Harris is out as she is nothing but the running mate of a dead man now. The DNC would have to decide if they wanted to keep her on the ticket and move her up as their new candidate.

I don't think anything is written in stone as to who is what except Pence; Pence would take over as president until Jan. 21. All else TBD.

If the Biden/Harris ticket won 270 even though Biden died, he obviously would become ineligible and never become president.

I don't know how obvious even this would be. TDS folks would still likely cast their vote for a deceased candidate over Trump/Pence.

~~~~~~

I know you are right but are you proud of yourself that you have scared small children for thousands of miles now? And the Dogs have all ran off into the woods howling.

Don't blame me... I just wrote the truth, obviously you are triggered by the truth....:laughing0301:
I'm happy to see that there are some on this board that know a little on how our contitutional gov't is supposed to work....

Or Rump would be voted Inmate of the Year if the Dems won the ticket. The Dems outnumber the Reps in the house. I doubt if even a single one would vote for Rump.
Doesn't matter.
Each state gets one vote. Kalifornia doesn't get 55, they only get one, the same as Montana or Alaska. Trump would easily get the 26 votes needed.

Doesn't matter---the house doesn't have the power to convict much less arrest the president. And fyi, Pelosi has become her very very unloved in her own district along with many other dems---------they may want to consider the possibility that the house speaker is likely to not be the house speaker after her next election and that the house may go back to republicans as both hispanics and blacks are now supporting Trump more which means coattails for republicans and the dems and their rioters have become very unpopular. American's don't like be threatening----and more willing to fight back even if at only the polls.

What happens?
Well if Biden died before the election both sides would throw a big party. And that's about the only way that asshole could help to bring this nation back together.

Forum List

Back