So what IS the best way to reduce or prevent mass shootings?

Europe and Australia have it right. The answer is painfully obvious. Getting there is problematic.
Europe and Australia don't have dick right. But if you feel safer there, you should move.

Interestingly put, but I'd say if Europe and Australia don't have the same degree of the same issue, then they must have their collective dick righter than we do.

You can't separate mass shootings from masculinity issues. Can't do it. Time to wake up to that.

Europe and Australia have it right. The answer is painfully obvious. Getting there is problematic.

Biggest mass shooting in history occurred in Norway, so no, they haven't "got it right".

Some cogent thoughts. I don't really think it's got anything to do with publicity though. After all if they're on a suicide or suicide-by-cop mission as a conclusion, then by definition they're not going to be around to assess the coverage anyway.
How does that prevent them from wanting lurid headlines anyway?

Remember, these people are not sane.

Though they retain enough coherency to pick a venue and plan what they are going to do.

What would be the point of generating headlines ---- if you're going to be dead by the time they print?

There was more to that post yanno.

And btw I think "well they're just not sane" is a cop-out. Kind of a get-out-of-analysis free card. That's too easy. Gotta grok what's going on.

No, you just have to kill them before they can get too far along. You and your progressive mindset of "we have to understand why they do it" is bullshit. They do it because they are assholes. That's all you need to know.

1. Ban all automatic and semi-automatic long rifles and pistols.
2. Limit the number of rounds to six.
3. Make gun manufacturers liable for misuse of their products.
4. Tag and track all guns and bullets sold.
5. Perform extensive background checks on buyers. No felons, people with histories of abusing drugs and alcohol, people with mental problems can own guns.
6. Mandatory licensing after passing a test demonstrating that the potential buyer knows best practices.
7. Gun sales restricted to licensed dealers.
8. Restrict Concealed Carry permits to folks that can prove a need (Carrying lots of valuable items).
9. Complete ban on guns where large groups of people congregate.

Biggest mass shooting in history occurred in Norway, so no, they haven't "got it right".

What's the aggregate number of people killed in mass shootings in Europe vs. the United States?

How about just the people that have been shot by a gun in general?

If the aim was to limit gun violence? They got it right.

Reduce mass shootings?

You can start by getting the rightwing propaganda machine to stop glorifying conservative victimology. Stop telling people that conservatives are the victims of horrific persecution by society, by liberals, by the government.

Stop coddling and enabling the paranoia.

Europe and Australia don't have dick right. But if you feel safer there, you should move.

Interestingly put, but I'd say if Europe and Australia don't have the same degree of the same issue, then they must have their collective dick righter than we do.

You can't separate mass shootings from masculinity issues. Can't do it. Time to wake up to that.
What a load if hooey. They do have mass shootings...as well as other issues. They don't have the same number of violent gun crimes because they don't have the same numbers Of BLACK THUGS shooting up the world in their progressive managed shanty towns in cities with strict gun control. Get rid of black inner city population and our high murder rate disappears.

Reduce mass shootings?

You can start by getting the rightwing propaganda machine to stop glorifying conservative victimology. Stop telling people that conservatives are the victims of horrific persecution by society, by liberals, by the government.

Stop coddling and enabling the paranoia.
Stop coddling and enabling crazy people and criminals.

Some cogent thoughts. I don't really think it's got anything to do with publicity though. After all if they're on a suicide or suicide-by-cop mission as a conclusion, then by definition they're not going to be around to assess the coverage anyway.
How does that prevent them from wanting lurid headlines anyway?

Remember, these people are not sane.

Though they retain enough coherency to pick a venue and plan what they are going to do.

What would be the point of generating headlines ---- if you're going to be dead by the time they print?

There was more to that post yanno.

And btw I think "well they're just not sane" is a cop-out. Kind of a get-out-of-analysis free card. That's too easy. Gotta grok what's going on.
The point is a legacy.

I don't think it is reasonable to reject this as we know many of these mass shooters study shootings before them. They want that notoriety. This is not a new concept, almost everyone looks to what they are going to be remembered for before they die.

Got anything to say about the actual subject of the thread?
No, there is no realistic solution.
(patiently)

What's "unrealistic" about the one offered in the OP?
The one problem I think there is centered in the reality that most are not prevented from carrying a weapon simply because the laws surrounding it. Most do not carry a weapon because they do not want to.

Any calls to 'arm' everyone are a horrible idea - I do not want anyone anywhere pushed into the enormous responsibility that one takes on when they carry a concealed weapon on them. Most that chose to take on that responsibility already do so. I don't see armed citizens as changing all that much in most areas. There are exceptions to this of course, places where the gun laws are draconian and ignorant but that is not really indicative of the laws in general.

Something I wrote in 2007 after another mass murder then. As true now as it was then.

-------------------------------------------------------

What IS the best way to reduce or prevent mass shootings?

No method is 100% perfect, of course, and never will be as long as we are a society of imperfect people.

But most of the methods being tried today, pretty much have no effect. Indeed, insane mass murderers seem to be drawn to the "Gun Free Zones" set up by naïve liberals. Where else can they be guaranteed a large collection of unarmed, vulnerable targets, with many uninterrupted minutes to blow away as many people as they like before the cops get there?

Is there a viable way to cut down the numbers of such shootings, and/or the body counts?

Many of the whackos (people who actually start shooting into crowds, at malls, post offices, schools etc.) know it is a suicide mission. The idea that they may be killed, obviously doesn't deter them... in that way, anyway.

But what most of them want, is to go out with a huge splash. They want huge headlines after the fact, crying and wailing about the ten or twenty or thirty innocent people who died, how horrible it all is, wailing and gnashing about what we could have done to prevent it, three-page exposes about the shooter's disturbed childhood and how unfair society was to him, etc. etc. To their twisted minds, that's worth getting dead over.

But if they show up at their planned execution site, start pulling the trigger, wound the first person, miss with the next shot, and then get get shot through the middle of the bod by someone in the crowd they never suspected might have his own gun, next day's headlines will be much less lurid. Some nut pulled a gun and fired two shots, wounding one. The wounded person is now recovering in the hospital, and the nut is dead, end of story. He's a footnote on page 28, if that.

And THAT's what the whackos don't want to happen. They want huge headlines and weeks of media coverage, even after they are dead, that's mostly why they're doing it.

If everyone is allowed to carry, most people still won't bother. I probably wouldn't most of the time. But some people will. And a nutcase like this guy will never know which people in the crowd, are the ones with their own gun. Could be the granny in the wheelchair over there, whose kids were killed in a home invasion robbery five years ago, who swore she'd never go unarmed again, and never misses her weekend hour or two at the practice range.

The deranged whacko is certainly insane. But he's obviously still coherent enough to have a goal in mind, and to do what he needs to carry it out. And he's probably coherent enough to realize that a few unknown people in the crowd who have guns and are practiced in their use, can and will deny him the splashy headlines he wants. And there's nothing he can do about it.

It's enough to often make even a deranged whacko reconsider his plans. Why start shooting at a public event, if you're simply going to become dead three seconds later with little or no lurid body count to show for it?

Letting law-abiding citizens carry freely is, and has always been, the best deterrent to crime. Criminals know there will be somebody nearby who will discourage them quickly. Only in so-called "gun free zones" are the criminals guaranteed the freedom to carry out their crimes.

Or does somebody think that some nutcase who is ready and willing to murder dozens of people, will turn around and obey a new "No guns permitted here" law?

1. Enact a 45 day waiting period before the acquisition of any new firearm.

2. Be sure the purchaser is sane

3. Any background of criminal activity should preclude ownership

4. Shut down all gun shows or any semblance of one

5. Hang mass shooters in the public square in front of the courthouse...by the scrotum

Last but not least....get politics and the NRA out of the thing completely. The NRA is nothing more than a political tool of the arms manufacturing industry

Last edited:
Stop allowing Big Pharma from dispensing their poisonous drugs....I know...I know....it won't happen because Big Pharma and Big Gov are one. Its all about the money, you know?

Teach the Ten Commandments...I know...I know...it won't happen because the Left has made religion a dirty word.

Promote family values...I know...I know...it won't happen because the Left finds that discriminatory and hateful.

Oh well...maybe the elite Left wants MORE mass shooting so they can impose their will on the people...more likely.

Shorten the death sentence time frame for murder from 20 years to 12 months. We have murders dying of old age in prison WAITING to be executed.
True. Standardize and shorten the appeals process so that everybody gets the same and adequate opportunities to appeal and review, and then set a date, and pull the trigger.

Shorten the death sentence time frame for murder from 20 years to 12 months. We have murders dying of old age in prison WAITING to be executed.
True. Standardize and shorten the appeals process so that everybody gets the same and adequate opportunities to appeal and review, and then set a date, and pull the trigger.
I don't see how it pertains to this thread though.

The DP is irrelevant to mass shootings.

Forum List

Back