So when does Russia cut off gas supplies to the Ukraine and the EU?

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This is going to be like watching a game of "chicken" on a global scale. They turned off the taps to the Ukraine in 2006 and 2008 for non payment. The stakes are higher by far over Crimea.

The EU gets one quarter of its supply from Russia as well. Ruh roh.

1.jpg

Unless you want to pay $10.00 a gallon here in the U.S., you better hope it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I think the question is whether the EU will have the stones to take Putin's, and his posse's, personal fortunes built on bribes and extortion.

The EU will keep buying the gas. Putin could nerve gas the entire Ukraine and Merkel would barely sniff.

This is going to be like watching a game of "chicken" on a global scale. They turned off the taps to the Ukraine in 2006 and 2008 for non payment. The stakes are higher by far over Crimea.

The EU gets one quarter of its supply from Russia as well. Ruh roh.
I've been asking myself that same question. Putin must not be in charge of ANYTHING, or else he would have done that already and got out of dollar: Germany's economy was absolutely devastated and you needed wheel barrels to buy a loaf of bread before Hitler came and restored everything within months by simply getting rid of these bankers that American founding fathers were warning about in advance. While in America, families continued to ship their children to California in hopes that they will find a rich family and committing suicides themselves. Of course, just pointing out these facts will get me labeled a nut case today, because the history must be remembered differently for their scheme to work - that is why founding fathers are known as slave owners, and today's bankers and economists are known as geniuses who keep our economy going.

I absolutely can not comprehend how EU can be in any position to say anything bad about Russia.

Last edited:
OAO Gazprom (OGZD)’s threat to end natural gas discounts for Ukraine adds to the financial burden on the near-bankrupt government in Kiev and makes Europe’s energy supply part of the escalating crisis.

Russia’s gas-export monopoly said on March 1 it may end last year’s agreement to supply Ukraine at a cheaper rate unless it’s paid $1.55 billion owed for fuel.

It’s the first time since the overthrow of pro-Moscow president Viktor Yanukovych last month that Russia has directly used its position as Ukraine’s dominant energy supplier to pressure the new regime.

Vladimir Putin, who has permission from Russian lawmakers to deploy troops to Ukraine, has repeatedly used gas to strong-arm his western neighbor, cutting off supplies twice since 2006 over payment disputes.

Because Ukraine hosts a network of Soviet-era pipelines that carry more than half of Russia’s gas exports to the European Union, any disruption of supply puts the region’s energy security at risk.

Waaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more at link.

Russia Gas Threat Shows Putin Using Pipes to Press Ukraine - Bloomberg

Ok anyone remember that scene in Ernest Goes to Camp when Ernest goes never never do this to a family of badgers? :lol:

Well, me thinks our governments in the west have just done that to a Siberian family of badgers.

Cripes this has been handled so very badly. And just a reminder, I am seriously pissed off at my own Conservative government on the way they've handled this as well. I am pissed off in a very bipartisan way.

[ame=http://youtu.be/pWE6oPv3KLs]Ernest Goes to Camp: "Never Do This to a Family of Badgers..." - YouTube[/ame]

I think that he will too, I do think that he wants all or part of Ukraine. Whatever the name of that naval station in Crimea is Sevastopol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it's important to his Navy (access to the Mediterranean thru Turkey). Black Sea Fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may or may not backfire on him though. Can he afford to be cut off from the West economically and diplomatically? If so, at what cost? Notice on of the first things that were discused was Russia's status in the G8.

A couple articles I read stated that the mild winter and expected warm spring means lower demands on gas supplies. Gas reserves are high. Seemed like a month or more supply was available across Europe. Not to say that a disruption in supply would not create a real problem but turning off complete supply today still gives everyone else time to work on a solution.

I think that he will too, I do think that he wants all or part of Ukraine. Whatever the name of that naval station in Crimea is Sevastopol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it's important to his Navy (access to the Mediterranean thru Turkey). Black Sea Fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may or may not backfire on him though. Can he afford to be cut off from the West economically and diplomatically? If so, at what cost? Notice on of the first things that were discused was Russia's status in the G8.

Putin is also not the only person with power in Russia. What Putin is willing to do to keep Crimea is not necessarily what the rest of Russia is willing to do.

Unless you want to pay $10.00 a gallon here in the U.S., you better hope it doesn't happen.

Crude is up $2.16 today on Wall Street. This could happen every day for the next three months or more if things escalate. That would make $10.00 a gallon gas a low ball figure.

Putin is working with Wall Street bankers to keep the price of oil from plummeting to its true value of $30-50/barrel

Now it makes sense

I think he'll stay his hand with Crimea. He's not going to let that naval base fall into the hands of the serious anti Russian government in Kiev. No way in hell.

Crimea has a vote on strengthening their autonomy coming up. And they are seriously pro Russian.

I don't think he wants to bother with the rest of the Ukraine. It doesn't benefit Russia.

Crimea though as we've been talking is a whole different story and that's why he made the move when he did.

Not pro Putin but I can understand why he did what he did.

Not one shot fired.

Forum List

Back