So when does Russia cut off gas supplies to the Ukraine and the EU?

I think he'll stay his hand with Crimea. He's not going to let that naval base fall into the hands of the serious anti Russian government in Kiev. No way in hell.

Crimea has a vote on strengthening their autonomy coming up. And they are seriously pro Russian.

I don't think he wants to bother with the rest of the Ukraine. It doesn't benefit Russia.

Crimea though as we've been talking is a whole different story and that's why he made the move when he did.

Not pro Putin but I can understand why he did what he did.

Not one shot fired.

Not that this is any type of comparison but I don't think a shot was fired when Iraq went into Kuwait, or Germany into Poland for that matter. Those "Mission Accomplished" banners have a way for smothering the people standing under them.

But you have to understand that Crimea was given to Ukraine in the mid '50s. The demographics are I think around 60% ethnic Russians. You have Chechens. Tartars. A diverse state to say the least but predominantly Russian to begin with.

And I know many people might think that because Crimea has been part of the Ukraine for 60 some years that it's a long time.....................

No, no no no no. :eusa_angel: It's like being a newbie. 60 years is not a long time over there in history.

Consequently these people are seriously pro Russian.

Bottom line is there was a line that separated Ukraine from Russia. Russia crossed that line with armed force and claimed the land it occupied as its own. History and demographics have weight but there was a line and Putin decided to cross it and if he expects to stay there he can expect to pay a price. Because he did not work out the terms of the deal ahead of time the price may very well end up being more than he is will to pay, it might not. I believe the cost(s) will keep adding up until sooner or later he will regret the day he made the decision to go. At the very, very best this is going to be one very expense maneuverer for him.

The US can export gas and oil to most of Europe. This will stimulate our economy in spite of all the barriers this Administration has set up that reduces economic growth.

The export of natural gas can be achieved by Ships Fitted to cary it to Europe. While we have some ships, we would need to build more ( can you spell job creation ).
The Keystone Pipeline would increase our ability to export oil to Europe ( can you spell job creation again ).

This is going to be like watching a game of "chicken" on a global scale. They turned off the taps to the Ukraine in 2006 and 2008 for non payment. The stakes are higher by far over Crimea.

The EU gets one quarter of its supply from Russia as well. Ruh roh.

1.jpg

they certainly could

but more then likely not

the Russian stock market dropped due to Putins actions.

Poor old KGB fool is now trying to say troops are not even I n the Urikrane.

poor puty the DICKtaster oh I mean dictator is finding out all about the global market.

Putin will back down because NO ONE will do business with him or Russia if he keeps it up

I think that he will too, I do think that he wants all or part of Ukraine. Whatever the name of that naval station in Crimea is Sevastopol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it's important to his Navy (access to the Mediterranean thru Turkey). Black Sea Fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may or may not backfire on him though. Can he afford to be cut off from the West economically and diplomatically? If so, at what cost? Notice on of the first things that were discused was Russia's status in the G8.

I think he'll stay his hand with Crimea. He's not going to let that naval base fall into the hands of the serious anti Russian government in Kiev. No way in hell.

Crimea has a vote on strengthening their autonomy coming up. And they are seriously pro Russian.

I don't think he wants to bother with the rest of the Ukraine. It doesn't benefit Russia.

Crimea though as we've been talking is a whole different story and that's why he made the move when he did.

Not one shot fired.

Not that this is any type of comparison but I don't think a shot was fired when Iraq went into Kuwait, or Germany into Poland for that matter. Those "Mission Accomplished" banners have a way for smothering the people standing under them.

You have been tragically misinformed, Random.

highres_30018917%20copy.jpg

I have a family member that marched into Kuwait.

He has no idea what hes talking about

Russia won't turn off gas to the EU. It would be commercial suicide.

It has turned off gas to Ukraine, and might again.

Russia won't turn off gas to the EU. It would be commercial suicide.

It has turned off gas to Ukraine, and might again.

It's not cost effective to cut off supplies to the EU. Russia is still providing energy and EU is still paying the bills. Notice that no country in the EU would go along with obama's sanctions or freezing Russian assets. Notice that when obama's latest hissy fit was that he wouldn't go to the G8 and said that Russia might be expelled, obama could not find a single other country willing to go along.

That's why sanctions won't be used against Russia. The EU isn't interested in that kind of sacrifice. When is Russia going to tell us that the space station is off limits and we need to find our own way home?

God bless the late, great United States.

Not one shot fired.

You have been tragically misinformed, Random.

{Random, "Deleted out image"}

Should have double checked that first. I did say 'I think' which says a lot right there. ;) I actually thank you for the correction. I try not to make the same mistake twice, or multiple times at least. My point is that the amount or lack of resistance does not gauge the authority to cross borders.

the Russian stock market dropped due to Putins actions.

Putin will back down because NO ONE will do business with him or Russia if he keeps it up

The Russian people have no one to blame but themselves for re-electing that KGB fathead.

Forum List

Back