So would someone tell Bono HE IS TOTALLY UNCOOL when he says...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
"Commerce [and] entrepreneurial capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid."

U2 frontman Bono proves that in the end, intelligence and common sense wins out.

In a speech at Georgetown University’s Global Social Enterprise Event, Bono admitted that even he himself finds it hard to accept that he has become a rock star who preaches capitalism, according to The Inquisitr.

“Wow; sometimes I hear myself and I just can’t believe it,” he said.

Bono is well known for his activism against poverty and disease on the African continent, having lobbied American congressmen, presidents and leaders from other developed nations to get more involved.

He reached out to President George W. Bush, who launched the President’s Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief, a commitment of $15 billion to fight the AIDS pandemic — an effort that saved millions of lives.

At the Georgetown speech, Bono made the following statements:

“Aid is just a stop-gap. Commerce [and] entrepreneurial capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid.

“In dealing with poverty here and around the world, welfare and foreign aid are a Band-Aid.

Free enterprise is a cure.

“Entrepreneurship is the most sure way of development.”

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/08/12/u2s-bono-capitalism-is-only-way-to-end-poverty-81459

He's right though I suspect he doesn't know the difference between REAL Capitalism and the CRONY Capitalism that the US and most of the World practices.

He's right though I suspect he doesn't know the difference between REAL Capitalism and the CRONY Capitalism that the US and most of the World practices.

Ah... so what country donates the MOST money to the poor?
What country has ACTUALLY created a Peace corp that has over the last 51 years..
The Peace Corps traces its roots and mission to 1960, when then Senator John F. Kennedy challenged students at the University of Michigan to serve their country in the cause of peace by living and working in developing countries. From that inspiration grew an agency of the federal government devoted to world peace and friendship.

Since that time, 210,000+ Peace Corps Volunteers have served in 139 host countries to work on issues ranging from AIDS education to information technology and environmental preservation
About Us | Peace Corps
Paid for by what??? Taxpayers of the USA!
Any OTHER capitalistic country in the world can say that???

In a nutshell ... the MSM won't cover the Bono statement because it doesn't fit their narrative!
What we saw with the Boston Globe selling for 93% LESS then what NYT paid for is just the
start as evidenced by Bezo's WaPost purchase!

And as a result, more of the MSM will begin losing it's captive low information audiences and more of the younger people are going to see what Obama has done to THEIR future as they pick up on the gross distinction that Bono is now telling them.
That distinction is that Obama et.al. is a grasping ... fighting... animalistic eat mine and yours mentality!
And that is NOT constructive.
It is the easiest thing in the world to tear something down.. ask any kid!
But to build something which is the essence of capitalism and then that capitalism spins off non profits.. Obama has to look no further then the patron who paid his salary.. The Annenberg Foundation based on Walter Anneberg's prominent successes was the creation of TV Guide in 1952, which he started against the advice of his financial advisers. He also created Seventeen magazine. During the 1970s, TV Guide was making $600,000 – $1,000,000 profit per week.
Walter Annenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think of it! Obama wants to tear down capitalism that created trillions that have been given away by people like Annenberg!

Trillions of dollars from philanthropists like Annenberg. Philanthropists that made billions in nasty dirty profits from capitalism.. and then gave it away! And Obama wants to destroy that!

OP- Who ever said anything different, hater dupe? Ay caramba! But there is a problem with the greedy idiot GOP pandering to the rich, and ruining the nonrich and the country, dumbass... lol

We're good at private donations, which is a scam for the organizers and dries up when needed, but the USA as a country gives less %wise in aid than any other modern country, easily. And much of that is military. Why? Pubs, of course. Fecking greedy idiot chickenhawks...and their silly dupes. You getting this yet? lol

stick to music brother..

just stick to what you know best

nobody wants you in politics piss off.

and sing for us.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WybiA263bw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WybiA263bw[/ame]

We're good at private donations, which is a scam for the organizers and dries up when needed, but the USA as a country gives less %wise in aid than any other modern country, easily. And much of that is military. Why? Pubs, of course. Fecking greedy idiot chickenhawks...and their silly dupes. You getting this yet? lol

F..king IDIOT!!!
FACTS!!!!!!

According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the countries giving the highest amounts of money (in absolute terms) are as follows:[1]

United States – $30.46 billion Nearly double what the NEXT 2 largest amounts!!!
United Kingdom – $13.66 billion
Germany – $13.11 billion
France – $12.00 billion
Japan – $10.49 billion
Canada – $5.68 billion
Netherlands – $5.52 billion
Australia – $5.44 billion
Sweden – $5.24 billion
Norway – $4.75 billion
Switzerland – $3.02 billion
Denmark – $2.72 billion
Italy – $2.64 billion
Belgium – $2.30 billion
Spain – $1.95 billion
South Korea – $1.55 billion
Finland – $1.32 billion
Austria – $1.11 billion
Ireland – $0.81 billion
Portugal – $0.57 billion
New Zealand – $0.46 billion
Luxembourg – $0.43 billion
Greece – $0.32 billion
List of governments by development aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YOU idiots are So ignorant!!!

LOOK at the above!

My.my.my....Bono has finally become a Grown Up Adult.

You know ANTI-AMERICAN.. ANTI-CAPITALISTS are truly so cliched!
So truly OLD OLD school!
Even the communist chinese HAVE BILLIONAIRE CAPITALISTS!!!
For example, it is not very surprising that the Chinese parliament has 83 billionaires
China?s ?Communist? Billionaires - World Report (usnews.com)

WAS THAT ALL DoNE through Charitable GIVING??? BY NON-PROFITS/??

Were there ANY of those 83 Chinese Billionaires created through getting AID from China???

NO... almost ALL (NOT as stupid as most of old-fashioned anti-capitalists to say ALL!!) are billionaires because of CAPITALISM!!!

F..king IDIOT!!!
FACTS!!!!!!

According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the countries giving the highest amounts of money (in absolute terms) are as follows:[1]

Germany – $13.11 billion
France – $12.00 billion
Japan – $10.49 billion
Canada – $5.68 billion
Sweden – $5.24 billion
Norway – $4.75 billion
Denmark – $2.72 billion
Italy – $2.64 billion
Belgium – $2.30 billion
Spain – $1.95 billion
Finland – $1.32 billion
Austria – $1.11 billion
Ireland – $0.81 billion
Portugal – $0.57 billion
Greece – $0.32 billion

LOOK at the above!

FYI he said % wise, just sayin...

We give charity to the military? Franc O dupe dont you know the differance between taxes and charity?

F..king IDIOT!!!
FACTS!!!!!!

Germany – $13.11 billion
France – $12.00 billion
Japan – $10.49 billion
Canada – $5.68 billion
Sweden – $5.24 billion
Norway – $4.75 billion
Denmark – $2.72 billion
Italy – $2.64 billion
Belgium – $2.30 billion
Spain – $1.95 billion
Finland – $1.32 billion
Austria – $1.11 billion
Ireland – $0.81 billion
Portugal – $0.57 billion
Greece – $0.32 billion

LOOK at the above!

FYI he said % wise, just sayin...

YUP I know that! BUT those receiving the AID don't care what the GDP is!
All they want is the AID and again....
WHAT THE f...k makes the USA GDP 15 trillion? Sure ain't National single payer health care for SURE!

1 United States 14,991,300
2 China 7,203,784
3 Japan 5,870,357
4 Germany 3,604,061
5 France 2,775,518
6 Brazil 2,476,651
7 United Kingdom 2,429,184

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
The whole POINT is what single country with the most capitalistic HISTORY HAS THE HIGHEST GDP AND HENCE GIVES THE MOST $$$?

I dunno, I'm just saying you responded with something diff than what he said. That's all

lol, I think Bono is taking a shot at all those conservatives who brag about how much they give to charity.

HEY Bono is smart as he knows where the money is!
It is NOT a widely known FACT because like most old fashioned cliched ridden anti-capitalists, anti-constructivistas the MSM hasn't ever broadly shared this study:

But conservatives are more charitable then liberals! Please refute this...
On Page 22 of Arthur C Brooks, book "Who Really Cares :The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism"
Arthur Brooks ?Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism? | THE LIFE & WEALTH BALANCE

"Registered Republicans were seven points more likely to give at least once in 2002 then Democrats (90% to 83%)
More then money and time, blood donations.
If liberals and moderates gave blood at the same rate as conservatives, the blood supply in the U.S. would jump by about 45%.
In 2002 self-described liberals younger than 30 were 12% less like to give money and 33% less willing to give blood then their
conservatives counter-parts.

Liberal young Americans [voted for Obama!] in 2004 were also significantly less likely than the young conservatives express
a willingness to sacrifice for their loved ones.
A lower percentage said they [young liberals] would prefer to suffer than let a loved one suffer.

Page 23: Among state which 60% or more voted for Bush, average portion of income donated was 3.5% versus
states giving less then 40% for Bush - donated 1.9%.
In 2003 residents in the top five "Bush states" were 51% more likely to volunteer those in the bottom five.

His initial research for Who Really Cares revealed that religion played a far more significant role in giving than he had previously believed.
In 2000, religious people gave about three and a half times as much as secular people — $2,210 versus $642.

And even when religious giving is excluded from the numbers, Mr. Brooks found, religious people still give $88 more per year
to nonreligious charities.

And for a real concrete example:

And more specifically Obama versus Bush in their donations...
The White House released the filings for both the President and the First Lady on Wednesday.
Combined, the family brought in an adjusted gross income of $2,656,902, mostly from the sale of the President's books.
The Obamas paid $855,323 in federal income tax. And they donated $172,050 - or about 6.5%
of their adjusted gross income to 37 different charities.
Obama Tax Returns For 2008: See The Complete Filings

President and Mrs. George W. Bush reported taxable income of $719, 274 for the tax year 2007
and paid $221,635 in federal income taxes, the White House said Friday.
The Bushes contributed a total of $165,660 [23%] to churches and charitable organizations.
Bush earned $719,000 in 2007 - CNN.com

Think about.. even with 1/3 as much income as Obama.. Bush gave nearly 400% more then Obama did!
And Obama has the gall the audacity the stupidity to say: "It is that fundamental belief ,I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper —"

YET his brother lives in a $12 hut!

$Obama-brother-Hut.jpg

How generous!!!

lol, I think Bono is taking a shot at all those conservatives who brag about how much they give to charity.

HEY Bono is smart as he knows where the money is!
It is NOT a widely known FACT because like most old fashioned cliched ridden anti-capitalists, anti-constructivistas the MSM hasn't ever broadly shared this study:

But conservatives are more charitable then liberals! Please refute this...
On Page 22 of Arthur C Brooks, book "Who Really Cares :The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism"
Arthur Brooks ?Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism? | THE LIFE & WEALTH BALANCE

"Registered Republicans were seven points more likely to give at least once in 2002 then Democrats (90% to 83%)
More then money and time, blood donations.
If liberals and moderates gave blood at the same rate as conservatives, the blood supply in the U.S. would jump by about 45%.
In 2002 self-described liberals younger than 30 were 12% less like to give money and 33% less willing to give blood then their
conservatives counter-parts.

Liberal young Americans [voted for Obama!] in 2004 were also significantly less likely than the young conservatives express
a willingness to sacrifice for their loved ones.
A lower percentage said they [young liberals] would prefer to suffer than let a loved one suffer.

Page 23: Among state which 60% or more voted for Bush, average portion of income donated was 3.5% versus
states giving less then 40% for Bush - donated 1.9%.
In 2003 residents in the top five "Bush states" were 51% more likely to volunteer those in the bottom five.

His initial research for Who Really Cares revealed that religion played a far more significant role in giving than he had previously believed.
In 2000, religious people gave about three and a half times as much as secular people — $2,210 versus $642.

And even when religious giving is excluded from the numbers, Mr. Brooks found, religious people still give $88 more per year
to nonreligious charities.

And for a real concrete example:

And more specifically Obama versus Bush in their donations...
The White House released the filings for both the President and the First Lady on Wednesday.
Combined, the family brought in an adjusted gross income of $2,656,902, mostly from the sale of the President's books.
The Obamas paid $855,323 in federal income tax. And they donated $172,050 - or about 6.5%
of their adjusted gross income to 37 different charities.
Obama Tax Returns For 2008: See The Complete Filings

President and Mrs. George W. Bush reported taxable income of $719, 274 for the tax year 2007
and paid $221,635 in federal income taxes, the White House said Friday.
The Bushes contributed a total of $165,660 [23%] to churches and charitable organizations.
Bush earned $719,000 in 2007 - CNN.com

Think about.. even with 1/3 as much income as Obama.. Bush gave nearly 400% more then Obama did!
And Obama has the gall the audacity the stupidity to say: "It is that fundamental belief ,I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper —"

YET his brother lives in a $12 hut!

View attachment 27191

How generous!!!

So conservatives, who go on and on and on about how giving the Poor handouts does more harm than good,

actually give more handouts to the Poor than any other group? Is that your claim?

Just more evidence of how addle-brained conservatives are.

Forum List

Back