So, you wake up and someone is trying to set your carpet on fire with a blow torch,so you shoot them

I just found out that my last remaining dog-larm is completely useless - Best Buy guys delivering the new TV, I had them put it in the game room because we've not had time to get the theater ready for it (what a mess removing a 200# 63" rear projection TV >.<) Anyway, so my useless dog-larm is on the other side of the pool table napping, asshole didn't even wake up...

We now have a security alarm system...

I saw a program that showed that most dogs will react in a friendly way to burglars.......I guess dogs just get lonely and like the company.....

I can see that, our [recently deceased] Border Collie/Irish Wolfhound was a total beta and would be more apt to flop at their feet for a belly rub than to attack. However, the same could not be said of our [also recently deceased] Husky/Whippet who would be more likely to launch herself cat like into their faces for invading her territory. The amusing part for my situation is that the remaining dog, a RottenHusky is by far the largest at #140, he's the coward...

I just want my dogs to bark if I'm home, and they do. If I am not home I want them to be friendly, I don't want them hurt. I don't like it when people that use them for self defense or as a weapon. Get a weapon and let the dog be a pet.

Got this story from an article about selecting the right ammo for home defense.......

So anti gunners......do you think this guy woke up that morning and thought...Gee....today is the day someone is going to try to start my house on fire...then I will have a struggle with him and then I will shoot them...?

Former CIA Officer Jason Hanson on How to Pick Self-Defense Ammunition: Guns for Beginners - The Truth About Guns

Written by Jason Hanson. Republished with permission from spyescapeandevasion.com

A Peoria, Arizona man named Dave B. awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of his security alarm going off. Dave immediately jumped out of bed and retrieved his handgun loaded with hollowpoint rounds. As Dave went to investigate the alarm an intruder with a blowtorch was setting the carpet in his home on fire . . .

Dave and the intruder got into a physical struggle at which point Dave fired a single round from his .357. The round struck the suspect who immediately retreated out of the home and was caught by police. The suspect is still in critical condition at a local hospital.

Clearly, Dave did what he had to do to protect himself from this crazy person who wanted to harm him. Also, he had good ammunition that did its job and got the intruder to retreat.
So...Is there a big problem with lots of people with torches in Arizona that people should use bazookas or mini guns to defend themselves from? Or was there more to this story than meets the eye?

I guess you didn't learn to read in the government school...controlled by the education wing of the democrat party....that you went to....

He used a .357 revolver with hollowpoints...fired one shot....

If you watch the video he actually fired all six rounds.
And it turns out the shooter was a piece of shit who just got out of prison on a stalking/domestic violence conviction.
I'd be willing to bet the person with the blowtorch was associated with his victim.
Hope the guy he shot pulls through.

Shooting someone is, well, "heavy", I think, is the term. Instinct tells me I would not do it over a mere possession. Instinct tells me I would do it without hesitation if I thought my wife were in danger.
I'm a good shot, too.
A "mere possession" like your home being burned down by a fucking lunatic?
The 'blow torch' lunatic would have had enough time to see the flash from the barrel before I put society out of it's misery.

Shooting someone is, well, "heavy", I think, is the term. Instinct tells me I would not do it over a mere possession. Instinct tells me I would do it without hesitation if I thought my wife were in danger.
I'm a good shot, too.
The 'blow torch' lunatic would have had enough time to see the flash from the barrel before I put society out of it's misery.
That is not what the post said. As often happens here, people take a post to say something they want to address, not what the post actually says.
That (hopefully) clarified, shooting someone for trying to set a house on fire would still be a bit much. I would be more occupied with putting out the blaze after stopping the perpetrator. If were armed and attacked by the 'perp', well, the 'gun' might 'go off'.

I'm a good shot, too.
That is not what the post said. As often happens here, people take a post to say something they want to address, not what the post actually says.
That (hopefully) clarified, shooting someone for trying to set a house on fire would still be a bit much. I would be more occupied with putting out the blaze after stopping the perpetrator. If were armed and attacked by the 'perp', well, the 'gun' might 'go off'.
Without rereading it I thought it said carpet? If he's inside it's game on. If he's trying to set a fire outside the house it's still game on but they'll find him with a weapon.

D-Ault buck from a short-barreled shotgun............nothing like nine .40 cal. slugs all hitting 'em at the same time.
True. But then in addition to replacing the burnt carpet you'd also have to wash down and repaint the walls, ceiling and whatnot.

Some of us are more sensitive than others and are not looking for an excuse to pump bullets into another person.

Some of us are more sensitive than others and are not looking for an excuse to pump bullets into another person.
I'm sensitive to my personal safety. You have the entire rest of the world to fuck around in. Defending yourself is an excuse only if you don't think you're not worth being alive.

I'm a good shot, too.
Without rereading it I thought it said carpet? If he's inside it's game on. If he's trying to set a fire outside the house it's still game on but they'll find him with a weapon.

Here it is .....

A Peoria, Arizona man named Dave B. awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of his security alarm going off. Dave immediately jumped out of bed and retrieved his handgun loaded with hollowpoint rounds. As Dave went to investigate the alarm an intruder with a blowtorch was setting the carpet in his home on fire . . .

Dave and the intruder got into a physical struggle at which point Dave fired a single round from his .357. The round struck the suspect who immediately retreated out of the home and was caught by police. The suspect is still in critical condition at a local hospital.

Got this story from an article about selecting the right ammo for home defense.......

So anti gunners......do you think this guy woke up that morning and thought...Gee....today is the day someone is going to try to start my house on fire...then I will have a struggle with him and then I will shoot them...?

Former CIA Officer Jason Hanson on How to Pick Self-Defense Ammunition: Guns for Beginners - The Truth About Guns

Written by Jason Hanson. Republished with permission from spyescapeandevasion.com

Clearly, Dave did what he had to do to protect himself from this crazy person who wanted to harm him. Also, he had good ammunition that did its job and got the intruder to retreat.
So...Is there a big problem with lots of people with torches in Arizona that people should use bazookas or mini guns to defend themselves from? Or was there more to this story than meets the eye?

I guess you didn't learn to read in the government school...controlled by the education wing of the democrat party....that you went to....

And it turns out the shooter was a piece of shit who just got out of prison on a stalking/domestic violence conviction.
I'd be willing to bet the person with the blowtorch was associated with his victim.

I think you need to watch the video again...the guy they pulled out of the home was the guy with the violence conviction....the shooter was someone else they did not identify.......

I'm a good shot, too.

It was the carpet and a physical struggle happened before the shots were fired.

I'm a good shot, too.

There was a physical struggle before the shots were fired.

Arson is a felony.....and life threatening...so you are justified in shooting him to stop him.

.357 hollow point is an excellent choice. I prefer .45 hollow point in a pistol. But...alarm goes off at 2am? I'm getting the AK-47 platform WASR-10 7.62 up from its nap. God help the intruder if they are a threat.

Libs will say he should have talked the man down, used de-escalation tactics, and used some Steve Segal disarming techniques.

Wrong. Libs want you to step aside while the intruder rapes your wife, kills your children and steals everything you have. The intruder has rights also!

I think you need to watch the video again...the guy they pulled out of the home was the guy with the violence conviction....the shooter was someone else they did not identify.......

Pretty sure the guy they pulled out of the home was the shooter and he was recently released from prison for a stalking/domestic abuse charge.
But I'll watch it again.

Pretty sure the guy they pulled out of the home was the shooter and he was recently released from prison for a stalking/domestic abuse charge.
But I'll watch it again.

Try 1:37 on the video.....They named the guy who died....I think that is the guy who was the problem and said they wouldn't release the name of the suspect or the victim who shot him.

I'm a good shot, too.

Here it is .....

You're right.
The old man wasnt the shooter but he was a scum bag.
Still have to wonder about the motive though. Was it retaliation against the old man or did "Dave" screw someone over?
Kind of a weird crime setting a house on fire with a blowtorch,sounds more like a revenge thing than anything else.
And the guy wearing a mask makes you think he was known by the homeowner who could identify him.
Be curious to see how this one plays out.

Forum List

Back