Debate Now Social Contract and Validity of Law and Government

Check all options you believe to be true. (You can change your options.)

• 1. Social contract is a valid concept.

• 2. The Constitution is social contract.

• 3. Laws that violate social contract should have no authority.

• 4. A government that violates social contract should be replaced.

• 5. Social contract is necessary to protect our liberties and rights.

• 6. Social contract is necessary for an effective society.

• 7. Social contract is a manipulative tool of the right.

• 8. Social contract is a manipulative tool of the left.

• 9. Social contract is nonsense and there is no such thing.

• 10. I don't know what the social contract is but want to learn.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't buy your premise of what constitutes the social contract. We are either a nation of laws or a nation of men. Or are we a nation of social contracts?

What part of the explanation in the OP do you not understand?
Are you playing games with me?

Definition: Social Contract:

1. The process or system by which society organizes itself for the mutual benefit of all. This can be binding on all or informally understood.

2. An agreement between the people and government assigning specific responsibilities and limitations on power to each.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE TOPIC TO BE DISCUSSED:

a) Is Social Contract as defined above a valid concept?
b) If so, is the U.S. Constitution social contract? State and local governments?
c) If so, has the spirit and intent of social contract been preserved in current times?
d) Do you agree with Locke that laws and policies that violate social contract invalidates the law and the government that imposes them? That social contract should be the single most guiding principle in what government and laws should be?
And who should get to decide that?

your definition of a social contract: 1) This is generally accepted 2) This is your own personal contract you wish to discuss or the US Constitution? The US Constitution is not a social contract, it is a

a) any contract agreed to by all parties is valid.
b) by your own definition (2) or the accepted definition (1)?
this makes no sense

a primer on what a constitution is is needed
Constitution - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I don't know what to make of your post. To me the OP is quite clear and quite specific including Rule #3 in which I give myself the authority to specify what definition(s) we will use.

your definitions: Definition: Social Contract:

1. The process or system by which society organizes itself for the mutual benefit of all. This can be binding on all or informally understood.

2. An agreement between the people and government assigning specific responsibilities and limitations on power to each.

number 2 is not a definition of a social contract as much as it is a view of the US Constitution. Why did you not say this is about the US Constitution?

The OP does discuss the Constitution but the Constitution is not the only social contract that would be defined in that way. A Homeowner's Association agreement, for instance, is the same sort of social contract.

They are legal contracts. That is the point. You appear to be conflating things

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b) If so, is the U.S. Constitution social contract? State and local governments?
c) If so, has the spirit and intent of social contract been preserved in current times?
d) Do you agree with Locke that laws and policies that violate social contract invalidates the law and the government that imposes them? That social contract should be the single most guiding principle in what government and laws should be?

your definition of a social contract: 1) This is generally accepted 2) This is your own personal contract you wish to discuss or the US Constitution? The US Constitution is not a social contract, it is a

this makes no sense

I don't know what to make of your post. To me the OP is quite clear and quite specific including Rule #3 in which I give myself the authority to specify what definition(s) we will use.

number 2 is not a definition of a social contract as much as it is a view of the US Constitution. Why did you not say this is about the US Constitution?

The OP does discuss the Constitution but the Constitution is not the only social contract that would be defined in that way. A Homeowner's Association agreement, for instance, is the same sort of social contract.

Conflating terms is a common theme with this one.

There is a social contract aspect to the implementation of and buy in for the Constitution, but yes it's a not simply a social contract any more than a wedding is simply a social contract.

Last edited:

this makes no sense

Unless you can come up with a better definition for Social Contract than the one in the OP, the definition as given there will stand.

Social contract | Define Social contract at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/social+contract
Dictionary.com
the voluntary agreement among individuals by which, according to any of various theories, as of Hobbes, Locke, or Rousseau, organized society is brought into being and invested with the right to secure mutual protection and welfare or to regulate the relations among its members.

Social contract - Definition and More from the Free Merriam ...
www.merriam-webster.com/.../social%20contract
Merriam‑Webster
Definition of SOCIAL CONTRACT. : an actual or hypothetical agreement among the members of an organized society or between a community and its ruler that defines and limits the rights and duties of each.

Social Contract (From BusinessDictionary.com)
Unwritten and tacit agreement said to exist among the members of a community or group that guides individual behavior and establishes personal rights and responsibilities. Social contract is deemed essential for any organized group behavior and, in democratic societies, is embodied in the national constitution. -- Use social contract in a sentence
Despite not having a written document, all the group members knew what rules to follow due to the social contract in place.
Read more: What is a social contract definition and meaning

social contract
n.
A usually implicit agreement among the members of an organized society or between the governed and the government defining and limiting the rights and duties of each.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

social contract or social compact
n
1. (Philosophy) (in the theories of Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau, and others) an agreement, entered into by individuals, that results in the formation of the state or of organized society, the prime motive being the desire for protection, which entails the surrender of some or all personal liberties
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

so′cial con′tract
n.
the agreement among individuals by which society becomes organized and invested with the right to secure mutual protection and welfare.
[1840–50]

ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun 1. social contract - an implicit agreement among people that results in the organization of society; individual surrenders liberty in return for protection
accord, agreement - harmony of people's opinions or actions or characters; "the two parties were in agreement"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.\

social contract
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: so•cial con•tract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
Definition of social contract in English:
noun
An implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits, for example by sacrificing some individual freedom for state protection. Theories of a social contract became popular in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries among theorists such as Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Last edited:

this makes no sense

There is a social contract aspect to the implementation of and buy in for the Constitution, but yes it's a not simply a social contract any more than a wedding is simply a social contract.
well said

this makes no sense

Perhaps you would like to review the definition in the OP and compare it to others I just posted and then continue to say that the Constitution is not a social contract. And a marriage also falls into the social contract category as it provides mutual benefits and protections for the parties involved in return for each giving up some liberties in return.

this makes no sense

Unless you can come up with a better definition for Social Contract than the one in the OP, the definition as given there will stand.

Dictionary.com
the voluntary agreement among individuals by which, according to any of various theories, as of Hobbes, Locke, or Rousseau, organized society is brought into being and invested with the right to secure mutual protection and welfare or to regulate the relations among its members.

Merriam‑Webster
Definition of SOCIAL CONTRACT. : an actual or hypothetical agreement among the members of an organized society or between a community and its ruler that defines and limits the rights and duties of each.

Unwritten and tacit agreement said to exist among the members of a community or group that guides individual behavior and establishes personal rights and responsibilities. Social contract is deemed essential for any organized group behavior and, in democratic societies, is embodied in the national constitution. -- Use social contract in a sentence
Despite not having a written document, all the group members knew what rules to follow due to the social contract in place.

social contract
n.
A usually implicit agreement among the members of an organized society or between the governed and the government defining and limiting the rights and duties of each.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

n
1. (Philosophy) (in the theories of Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau, and others) an agreement, entered into by individuals, that results in the formation of the state or of organized society, the prime motive being the desire for protection, which entails the surrender of some or all personal liberties
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

so′cial con′tract
n.
the agreement among individuals by which society becomes organized and invested with the right to secure mutual protection and welfare.
[1840–50]

Noun 1. social contract - an implicit agreement among people that results in the organization of society; individual surrenders liberty in return for protection
accord, agreement - harmony of people's opinions or actions or characters; "the two parties were in agreement"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.\

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun
An implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits, for example by sacrificing some individual freedom for state protection. Theories of a social contract became popular in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries among theorists such as Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Fox.. the part you are missing is that being embodied in... does not mean "is a." The social contract is embodied the constitution. That does not mean the constitution is a social contract.

Perhaps you would like to review the definition in the OP and compare it to others I just posted and then continue to say that the Constitution is not a social contract. And a marriage also falls into the social contract category as it provides mutual benefits and protections for the parties involved in return for each giving up some liberties in return.

Nah... now your just making stuff up. Social contract category? :)

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun
Fox.. the part you are missing is that being embodied in... does not mean "is a." The social contract is embodied the constitution. That does not mean the constitution is a social contract.

The U.S. Constitution is the means by which a society organized itself for mutual benefit. It assigns responsibilities to the government and it assigns responsibilities to the people. It IS social contract. It fits every definition described up there and in the OP.

. . .The fundamental basis for government and law in this system is the concept of the social contract, according to which human beings begin as individuals in a state of nature, and create a society by establishing a contract whereby they agree to live together in harmony for their mutual benefit, after which they are said to live in a state of society. This contract involves the retaining of certain natural rights, an acceptance of restrictions of certain liberties, the assumption of certain duties, and the pooling of certain powers to be exercised collectively. . .
The Social Contract and Constitutional Republics

Last edited:
In the USA, our social contract is us agreeing to embrace a Lockean or Hobbesian notion of natural rights and liberties or whatever (far more than the commonly known ideas, names, and sources we know of went into the thinking of the founding generation) that came down to us through the US Constitution. When the founding generation of our nation entered into a legal framework to realize these ideals, they wrote into law a governmental structure their generation agreed to abide by. This constitution is handed down to us and it only derives it's power and validity from the social contract we now agree to -- we are a nation of laws and not of men. If you want to amend the Constitution we all know the process. If you want to change the social contract you will have to convince your fellow citizens to follow you, or you are only tilting at windmills.

Well then you will probably enjoy another thread more than this one because I didn't make up a single one of those definitions. Nor did I make up the one in the OP. But since you say I did we probably won't have much constructive to talk about.

The idea of marriage itself is a social construct and in that sense when we've agreed as a society to recognize marriage we have a social contract. Social contracts have no power of law. We enact laws to protect marriage and codify it.

Social contracts have no power in law. You are mistaking social agreements for something they are not and therein lies your arguments with people. This Zone is not so much a debate zone .. it is poorly named and constructed. Debates are usually more open and freewheeling with a loose set of rules. What we have here is a Zone of 'discussion' ruled not by a social contract but a narrowly defined set of rules.

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

The U.S. Constitution is the means by which a society organized itself for mutual benefit. It assigns responsibilities to the government and it assigns responsibilities to the people. It IS social contract. It fits every definition described up there and in the OP.

. . .The fundamental basis for government and law in this system is the concept of the social contract, according to which human beings begin as individuals in a state of nature, and create a society by establishing a contract whereby they agree to live together in harmony for their mutual benefit, after which they are said to live in a state of society. This contract involves the retaining of certain natural rights, an acceptance of restrictions of certain liberties, the assumption of certain duties, and the pooling of certain powers to be exercised collectively. . .
Incorrect. The Constitution is not "implicit" at all. The Constitution is explicit.

Here's an example of a social contract: When you join a church there is a litany that the congregation recites where the congregation promises to welcome the new member. That is a social contract that the congregation makes between themselves, god, and the new member. That is a "social contract." The Constitution is not merely a social contract.

With the Constitution, we have a legal document.

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun
well said and anything after this is useless as far as a reasonable and rational discussion goes

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

You are misinterpreting word usage here.

lotsa luck

Well then you will probably enjoy another thread more than this one because I didn't make up a single one of those definitions. Nor did I make up the one in the OP. But since you say I did we probably won't have much constructive to talk about.
no you did not make up any definitions in your list. what you did was misread is their usage

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

Incorrect. The Constitution is not "implicit" at all. The Constitution is explicit.

Here's an example of a social contract: When you join a church there is a litany that the congregation recites where the congregation promises to welcome the new member. That is a social contract that the congregation makes between themselves, god, and the new member. That is a "social contract." The Constitution is not merely a social contract.

I see. She is conflating 'implied powers' with implicit.

later

D

no you did not make up any definitions in your list. what you did was misread is their usage
To be fair so many definitions are ambiguous and the use of most terms are often incorrect, even wildly incorrect. Thus, leading to the tower of Babel problem where we are all speaking the same language but, using completely different meanings for terms.

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

There is nothing in any definition that says that social contract cannot also be a legal document.

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

There is nothing in any definition that says that social contract cannot also be a legal document.
Correct. More to the point some social contracts can be deemed as legally binding. But that does not mean the Constitution is merely a social contract.

Dictionary.com

Merriam‑Webster

social contract
n.

n

so′cial con′tract
n.
[1840–50]

social contract
Pronunciation:
(also social compact)
noun

Correct. More to the point some social contracts can be deemed as legally binding. But that does not mean the Constitution is merely a social contract.

I didn't say it was 'merely a social contract' either. You said it wasn't a social contract at all. I believe I have offered ample evidence and support for why it is. And so far you have offered nothing to dispute that other than your own opinion. If you can offer any credible source that explains why the U.S. Constitution is not social contract, then go for it. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to be a controlling person and insist that all the evidence presented agrees that it is.

Forum List

Back