Social Motivators: Bragging Rights or......

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What drives us to do certain things like:

rubber necking
having to see a movie on opening day
being suddenly interested in a topic that was a non-issue one day ago
buying your kid something because all the other kids have it

Do you think it's more bragging rights, need for commonality with others, or, is it just a matter of keeping up with the Jones'?

Rubber necking is pure curiosity.

Opening day is often a communal experience with people who hold similar interests. (Commonality).

The others are cultural obligations driven by media pressure. "Parrot syndrome" if you will. More than mere keeping up.

Rubber necking is pure curiosity.

Opening day is often a communal experience with people who hold similar interests. (Commonality).

The others are cultural obligations driven by media pressure. "Parrot syndrome" if you will. More than mere keeping up.
There's rubber necking, then there is taking a pic to show others....a bit different

Seeing a movie is not communal. It's dumb. You can't wait a week until it's less crowded, seriously?

Seeing a movie is not communal. It's dumb. You can't wait a week until it's less crowded, seriously?

These days, I do. But back before cable/streaming, when theaters were far fewer in number and wide-screen special effects films were still special and fairly well written, we all used to get completely blistered and hit the first shows, where we met several others who were also completely blistered.

These days, Hollywood churns out so much unmitigated crap that the wife and I rarely venture out to a theater.

If I become interested in a new topic, it's probably because I wasn't aware of it before. But never need to see a movie opening day. I don;t rubber neck either.

Forum List

Back