Soldier Told Not to Read Levin, Limbaugh or Hannity in Uniform

ART. 88 - CONTEMPT TOWARD OFFICIALS

Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Uniform Code of Military Justice (UJMJ) - ART. 88 - CONTEMPT TOWARD OFFICIALS

As an officer you are responsible for what soldiers do under your command.

Easy way for the soldier to be reading the books he was told not to read while in uniform?

Simple...........................put on a t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans.

If you're not in uniform, read whatever the fuck you want to.

Easy way for the soldier to be reading the books he was told not to read while in uniform?

Good point. it would strike me that if he is reading while in uniform, he's not doing whatever the Army is paying him to do.

Good point. it would strike me that if he is reading while in uniform, he's not doing whatever the Army is paying him to do.

Which is why we were prohibited from reading anything but work related material in uniform.

Which is why we were prohibited from reading anything but work related material in uniform.

As were we, at least in theory.

Reality, when you are in a Supply depot waiting for something to happen, you do have a lot of down time during a field excercise.

Just a little aside..

Back in the stone age when I was in the Service, this happened in the late 80's, one of the troops in my unit was in trouble because he had put a confederate flag on the wall by his bunk in the dorm. His roommate, a minority, was offended by it.

I was on rotation that month, so I was pulled to go and inspect the room. When I entered the room his side of the room was the back side, so I first saw his roommate's side. There was the Red, Black, and Green Pan African flag on the wall facing the door. On the wall was a Malcolm X poster. Several Red, Black, and Green items in the shape of Africa were on display on shelves, the desk, the press.

I took a couple of photos and returned back to the Shirt and Commander. My report was simple. If the one guy had to remove his single Confederate item, the flag which was only visible if you went to his side of the room, the roommate who had complained must also remove his flag and other items.

I don't know what the end result was. I didn't have the final say, only to report and make recommendations. But it a prime example of how the Left will complain about what they see others doing while not seeing what they are doing is just as offensive.

What a fantastic bit of inside baseball. Thanks for sharing.

As were we, at least in theory.

Reality, when you are in a Supply depot waiting for something to happen, you do have a lot of down time during a field excercise.

Yeah, we had a little "wiggle room" on a midwatch, but it was still an unwritten rule that anything political was left at home...and if there was a Servicewide coming up and you weren't studying for it, you never heard the end...

Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

This man is not a Commissioned Officer. He is a NCO, Non-Commissioned Officer. Enlisted. That regulation does not apply to him.

While I was in, unless I was studying for promotion, I read whatever paperback I could fit in my Field Jacket Pocket. Even Tom Clancy Novels fit.

I even kept a Sega Game Gear in there for when I stuck on the launch truck and everyone else wanted to nap. Sometimes it was a pocket radio with an ear bud. During exercises, there was all three, along with spare batteries in my pockets and my FO bag had cheese and crackers in it.

But anyway..

Seems that the Supervisors of MSgt Sommers are unhappy with him.

Anyone with military service knows what kind of charges these are.

Soldier Who Read Conservative Books Now Faces Charges | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Master Sgt. Nathan Sommers, a decorated soloist with the Army Band, is being charged under a federal law that permits commanding officers to conduct non-judicial proceedings for minor offenses.

Sommers is accused of giving a superior officer the wrong date for a doctor’s appointment. He’s also accused of failing to carry out an order. In order to comply with that order, Sommers would have had to disclose private information about his autistic son’s medical records.

The charges were handed down one day after Sommers told Fox News that he was facing discrimination and persecution because of his conservative political and religious beliefs.

I've seen a Pissed Off Commander give an Article 15 for a person having their moustache touching their lip or sideburns too long.

But this was when they were pissed at the person about something they couldn't do anything about, so they looked for the smallest thing that they could "legally" get them on.

While I was in, unless I was studying for promotion, I read whatever paperback I could fit in my Field Jacket Pocket. Even Tom Clancy Novels fit.

I even kept a Sega Game Gear in there for when I stuck on the launch truck and everyone else wanted to nap. Sometimes it was a pocket radio with an ear bud. During exercises, there was all three, along with spare batteries in my pockets and my FO bag had cheese and crackers in it.

Yep..................Tom Clancy was one of my favorite reads.

Especially on surf and turf day (steak and lobster) when I had to wait in line for anywhere from 45 min to a full hour and a half.

Lines on a carrier can be a bit long.

But anyway..

Seems that the Supervisors of MSgt Sommers are unhappy with him.

Anyone with military service knows what kind of charges these are.

Soldier Who Read Conservative Books Now Faces Charges | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Master Sgt. Nathan Sommers, a decorated soloist with the Army Band, is being charged under a federal law that permits commanding officers to conduct non-judicial proceedings for minor offenses.

Sommers is accused of giving a superior officer the wrong date for a doctor’s appointment. He’s also accused of failing to carry out an order. In order to comply with that order, Sommers would have had to disclose private information about his autistic son’s medical records.

The charges were handed down one day after Sommers told Fox News that he was facing discrimination and persecution because of his conservative political and religious beliefs.

I've seen a Pissed Off Commander give an Article 15 for a person having their moustache touching their lip or sideburns too long.

But this was when they were pissed at the person about something they couldn't do anything about, so they looked for the smallest thing that they could "legally" get them on.

Well, when you run off to Faux News and whine about how you are being mistreated, you tend to get the cold shoulder.

I guess someone reminded him he was in a regimented organization with strict regulations. OMG!!!

It sounds like he was constantly reprimanded about these things but continued to push his luck, and now is getting shitty because his luck ran out. It seems clear he was only trying to piss everyone off.

That said, I don't see a problem with the stickers on his car, or even the books he reads. But he should keep his bigoted opinions about homosexuality to himself.

So much for free speech hey? He has a right to his opinions. I may not approve of such derisiveness, but he still has the right to free expression. That is, unlike wherever you reside, Noomi. Just because you don't approve of someone's expressions or opinions doesn't mean you can shut them up because they offended you and your sensitivities. All this talk about marriage being a human right, yet we (you) are willing to deny someone their ability to express themselves and their beliefs, which is ironically another human right.

Bigoted he may be, but free he still is. We profess to be a free country, and we say that we fight for freedom, yet we do everything...correction... Liberals do everything to suppress free practice of religion, and of speech. Revenge is foolish. If you don't like what someone has to say, simply walk away. It isn't that freaking hard to do.

He has a right to free speech but not while in uniform. He signed up and he is a disciplined soldier of the United States. While in uniform, he represents our country.

Now, if others are able to express their religious and/or political views, then we have an issue. Everyone has a right to thoughts, feelings and opinions, but not while in uniform for our country. The military should be disciplined and of a common goal, the protection and safety of this country while under threat.

The OP conveniently forgot to mention the bumper stickers “Political Dissent is NOT Racism,” “NOBAMA,” "NOPE2012” and “The Road to Bankruptcy is Paved with Ass-Fault,” (includong the image of a donkey) that MSgt Sommers put on prominent display.

The miltary is hardly a "hotbed" of liberal sentiment, but it appears that Sommers' superiors felt that he had crossed the line in making his contempt for the "Commander in Chief" well known.

Someone with 25 years experience should have a good idea how as to how far you can "push the envelope" in an institution like the military before there are repercussions.

Last edited:

This man is not a Commissioned Officer. He is a NCO, Non-Commissioned Officer. Enlisted. That regulation does not apply to him.

Article 89 does.

the "n-word"?
I am just asking because well here read where this comes from...

A veteran member of the U.S. Army Band said he is facing retribution and punishment from the military for having anti-Obama bumper stickers on his car, reading books written by conservative authors like Mark Levin and David Limbaugh, and serving Chick-fil-A sandwiches at his promotion party.

Master Sgt. Nathan Sommers, a 25-year Army veteran and conservative Christian based at Fort Myer in Washington, believes his outspoken opposition to gay marriage prompted higher-ups to take a closer look at his beliefs. The recipient of an Army Commendation Medal and a soloist at the funeral of former First Lady Betty Ford, Sommers said his core beliefs are enough to mark a soldier for persecution in today’s military.

During the course of their investigation, the military unearthed a tweet from 2010 that included a derogatory word for homosexuals. The soldier admitted that he had retweeted someone else’s original tweet.

“Lordy, Lordy, it’s faggot Tuesday. The lefty loons and Obamabots are out in full force,” the retweet read.
Soldier Told Not to Read Levin, Limbaugh or Hannity in Uniform | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Just asking.. if other people like me that Obama At a San Francisco fundraiser,said,
“They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

I wonder if I should be offended at being called "religion clinger"????

But it's now LEGAL for two guys to suck each other's dicks in the military.
Glad I retired.

The OP conveniently forgot to mention the bumper stickers “Political Dissent is NOT Racism,” “NOBAMA,” "NOPE2012” and “The Road to Bankruptcy is Paved with Ass-Fault,” (includong the image of a donkey) that MSgt Sommers put on prominent display.

The miltary is hardly a "hotbed" of liberal sentiment, but it appears that Sommers' superiors felt that he had crossed the line in making his contempt for the "Commander in Chief" well known.

Someone with 25 years experience should have a good idea how as to how far you can "push the envelope" in an institution like the military before there are repercussions.

You served when/where, asswipe?

Yep..................Tom Clancy was one of my favorite reads.

Especially on surf and turf day (steak and lobster) when I had to wait in line for anywhere from 45 min to a full hour and a half.

Lines on a carrier can be a bit long.

There were no lines in the Chief's Mess, "First Class For Life." Perhaps if you had done your job, vs. looking for the next dick to suck, you would have made Chief.

You should have kept reading apparently. The legal office declared that they had no right to tell him to remove the bumper stickers. That passed.

I would venture to guess that is exactly why he got the reprimand though. As Shroom pointed out, he likely did something to annoy his superiors. In this case, I would not be surprised that his boss was pissed that he was slapped down by the legal office as it is VERY taboo in leaving your chain of command to override your supervisors ‘decree.’ Sounds to me like the boss was upset about that and took it out on him in this manner.

Forum List

Back