Solution To A Serious Medical Problem:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Back in 1958 I walked into a Camp LeJeune sick bay with an infected finger which was examined by an enlisted-rank Navy medical corpsman who handed me a small box of penicillin tablets. The whole thing took ten minutes and my infection was gone within 24 hours.

Compare that with a similar infection which involved a four hour wait to see a tired MD at a contemporary civilian hospital's ER, which ended with a prescription for a small bottle of penicillin tablets -- and a $450 bill. The obvious question is if examination and treatment by a non-MD medic for a relatively minor complaint is adequate for military personnel, why does it call for the costly, time-consuming rigamarole at civilian Emergency Rooms?

Considering that the majority of individuals turning up at Emergency Rooms are refugees and assorted indigents, and the majority of their complaints inhabit the minor, non-emergency category (cuts, infections, burns, etc.), things which are commonly diagnosed and treated by enlisted-rank military medics, the presence of walk-in clinics staffed by former military medics in low-rent neighborhoods would provide perfectly adequate treatment for all minor complaints and relieve the burden on hospital emergency rooms, affording physicians more time to deal with serious medical problems.

Why low rent neighborhoods, and didn't you have an urgent care in your area?

Back in 1958 I walked into a Camp LeJeune sick bay with an infected finger which was examined by an enlisted-rank Navy medical corpsman who handed me a small box of penicillin tablets. The whole thing took ten minutes and my infection was gone within 24 hours.

Compare that with a similar infection which involved a four hour wait to see a tired MD at a contemporary civilian hospital's ER, which ended with a prescription for a small bottle of penicillin tablets -- and a $450 bill. The obvious question is if examination and treatment by a non-MD medic for a relatively minor complaint is adequate for military personnel, why does it call for the costly, time-consuming rigamarole at civilian Emergency Rooms?

Considering that the majority of individuals turning up at Emergency Rooms are refugees and assorted indigents, and the majority of their complaints inhabit the minor, non-emergency category (cuts, infections, burns, etc.), things which are commonly diagnosed and treated by enlisted-rank military medics, the presence of walk-in clinics staffed by former military medics in low-rent neighborhoods would provide perfectly adequate treatment for all minor complaints and relieve the burden on hospital emergency rooms, affording physicians more time to deal with serious medical problems.
The elephant in the room is legal costs that have driven up costs and taken us from doctors driving to your house to now waiting hours in an emergency room. But most politicians are lawyers, so nothing is being done about it.

Why don't the assorted indigents use such clinics? No one knows. They just don't.

Several city hospitals got the message. They have such clinics in house. I doubt the poor non English speakers even realize that the door down the hall does not lead to the emergency room.

Why low rent neighborhoods, and didn't you have an urgent care in your area?
Yes. And I would gladly have traveled to a walk-in clinic no matter where it was located. The reason for locating them in low-rent communities is that is where they would be most needed and utilized.

This is how medical innovation happens......we have quick clinics in Grocery stores, Walmarts and Pharmacies .....we now have MRI machines in store fronts all over the country... we have Nurse Practitioners doing things that used to only be taken care of by doctors....making wait times less.....so once you get government out of the way, and allow innovation to happen...

Better and cheaper medical care..

This is how medical innovation happens......we have quick clinics in Grocery stores, Walmarts and Pharmacies .....we now have MRI machines in store fronts all over the country... we have Nurse Practitioners doing things that used to only be taken care of by doctors....making wait times less.....so once you get government out of the way, and allow innovation to happen...

Better and cheaper medical care..
there should be a lower scale pay for seeing nurse practioner.......I get the joy of paying the same if the daughters see a PA as a DR.....have asked her to get them a steady Physician.....if I am going to get charged the same then I damn well want to see the real thing

The one that pisses me off is when you have to pay for a Dr. visit to get a prescription refilled when all they do is check your blood pressure and ask a few questions.
I can take my own blood pressure and the rest could be handled on the phone by a nurse practitioner.

Small clinics in low income neighborhoods are great. They don't run a full array of tests that cost several hundred dollars. Dispense their own medicines too. When I had catastrophic insurance with 5k deductible, this is where I went. I've seen Kaiser bill insurance for thousands and thousands for simple little cures that would cost a couple hundred or less at the corner clinic.

White people use clinics. Mostly white middle class people in a hurry. I use clinics. I used a CVS Minute Clinic to take out some stitches. I used Urgent Care when I had pneumonia and again for an infection.

I never saw a single poor minority.

Sounds great until that non doctor prescribes the wrong medicine, or someone dies from a misdiagnosis. Medical care isn't something to do poorly. Of course, you consider the poor as less than human anyway, and you probably don't mind if a few are killed by substandard care.

Sounds great until that non doctor prescribes the wrong medicine, or someone dies from a misdiagnosis. Medical care isn't something to do poorly. Of course, you consider the poor as less than human anyway, and you probably don't mind if a few are killed by substandard care.
. You leftist could mess up a two car funeral with your outlook on life, and everything is class jealousy, race or complicated bull crap with you people... It's no wonder why this nation is so far behind now.

. You leftist could mess up a two car funeral with your outlook on life, and everything is class jealousy, race or complicated bull crap with you people... It's no wonder why this nation is so far behind now.

Well, that's nice and all, but could you point out the part that was wrong?

Forum List

Back