Some guy in Brittain builds a car that gets 8000 mpg in his garage...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
But we're supposed to believe the Big 3 cant possibly figure out how to make more fuel efficient cars? We're being held hostage by our government and big business.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7003538016

British Inventor Unveils 8000 MPG Car

May 12, 2006 2:18 p.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer

London, England (AHN)—A British inventor unveils the world's most fuel-efficient vehicle, a three-wheel “TeamGreen” car capable of doing 8,000 miles to the gallon.

The 45-year-old inventor, Andy Green, from the University of Bath, built his budget eco-motor for just £2,000, and will be the sole British contender for the title of the world's most fuel-economic car in a global competition being held later this month.

It has taken Mr. Green more than two years to design and build the car, which will be the fourth eco-vehicle he has built. He holds the British record for fuel-efficiency, with 6,603 miles to the gallon in a previous car.

According to the report, the new vehicle is powered by a single cylinder four-stroke engine with a capacity of just 35cc and runs with a special management system incorporating fuel injection.

A spokesman for Bath University says, "Andy Green is keeping the spirit of the lone British inventor who takes on the world very much alive."

Yea, I think the world record is somewhere above 10,000 MPG. Japan has a contest every year or so to see who can build the most fuel efficent car. They get some riddiculously high MPGs. The problem is that the cars are incredibly small-none can hold more than one person-and I bet you could probably out-walk all but one. So technically this guy did something great, but practically it's worse than useless.

until it can haul 2 kids in car seats, a full size stroller, 3-4 bags of groceries, 2 parents, and can accellerate to freeway speeds in a decent amount of time without blowing the engine, i'll stick with my Impala (or our Caddy), thanks.

A 35cc motor and it's a "car"? What does it do 3mph? A motor that small is 1.5 to maybe 2.2 horsepower Neat trick but.......

insein said:
Some guy in Brittain builds a car that gets 8000 mpg in his garage...

Now that is one BIIIIG Garage! Worthy of that fancy shmancy name for a carhole....

;)

fuzzykitten99 said:
until it can haul 2 kids in car seats, a full size stroller, 3-4 bags of groceries, 2 parents, and can accellerate to freeway speeds in a decent amount of time without blowing the engine, i'll stick with my Impala (or our Caddy), thanks.

I agree, obviously this car isn't going to work in the real world.

But, it does show that the auto makers arn't even trying to make fuel efficient cars right now. Why can't they make an SUV or van that gets 40-50mpg???? Almost forgot.....and affordable.

I get so annoyed listening to the "rich and famous" talk about how us regular Americans need to start buying eco-friendly cars. Yes, I'd like to buy a hybrid that gets 50mpg..but that car costs $25,000 and a Civic that gets 34mpg costs $12,000. Guess which one I'm gonna buy? HINT: It fits into my budget.

Forum List

Back