Sophisticated but low-tech power grid attack baffles authorities

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Why isn't this front and center national news? Yes, I heard about it but it doesn't seem to be raising much of a concern. This is like something you see in movies that you doubt could ever happen. I have for awhile been thinking that a lot of the wild fires we see could have been a low tech terrorist attack, don't know.

WASHINGTON — They came after midnight, two or more armed individuals so deft that they cut telecommunication cables in an underground vault and outsmarted security cameras and motion sensors at the power substation in a remote corner of Santa Clara County.

At daylight, FBI agents began poring over time-lapse photographs from the surveillance cameras. But the photos revealed only staccato muzzle flashes from a semiautomatic weapon and sparks as shots hit rows of transformers. There was not a face, not a shadow, of who was doing the firing.

Sophisticated but low-tech power grid attack baffles authorities - latimes.com

Last edited:
No comments? Not even an opinion on what is going on?

I find the repeated statement in the newspaper article that it was not an act of terrorism disingenuous. The spokesperson doth protest too much.

Interesting too how the perps knew exactly where each vulnerable part of the security system was.

Yep, some Second Amendment assholes proving their right to shoot up whatever they desire.

To be honest, I would rather this NOT be on national news.
If it is on the national news - it is broadcasted worldwide.
You take water treatment facilities of small-medium sized towns. There is no backup.
A small bomb could take out the water supply for weeks, or even months. Everything would shut down.

You take water treatment facilities of small-medium sized towns. There is no backup.
A small bomb could take out the water supply for weeks, or even months. Everything would shut down.

How many petroleum storage facilities could be taken out by one man with a BMG? The tracer ammo is readily available on the net.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccK9FYfYyiA].50 BMG ---Armor-Piercing-Incendiary-Tracer Rounds (APIT) - YouTube[/ame]

I find the repeated statement in the newspaper article that it was not an act of terrorism disingenuous. The spokesperson doth protest too much.

Interesting too how the perps knew exactly where each vulnerable part of the security system was.

Ohhhhh, they knew where the vulnerable part of the security system was? Then how was the attack captured on security video?

These substations are everywhere. There is one less than a mile from my house. You probably drive by one or two of them every day. You fools are making it sound like it was a real act of brilliant tactical planning to shoot one up. These things are nothing but a bank of transformers inside a chain link fence. A 7-Eleven would be more of a challenge.

"Sophisticated" attack, my ass.

Last edited:

Ohhhhh, they knew where the vulnerable part of the security system was? Then how was the attack captured on security video?

These substations are everywhere. There is one less than a mile from my house. You probably drive by one or two of them every day. You fools are making it sound like it was a real act of brilliant tactical planning to shoot one up. These things are nothing but a bank of transformers inside a chain link fence. A 7-Eleven would be more of a challenge.

"Sophisticated" attack, my ass.

I don't know of any sub-stations around my area that has any security let alone cameras. This was much more then just a sub-station. Granted it is a relatively easy target but apparently there was security that sub stations don't usually get. Which raises the question of whom was watching the cameras. Could be they were not security but for remote monitoring.

What you are implying is that there are people out there who will do us harm all they need is an idea. Ideas are not the problem but people need to know that these things are going on.

This was not a mere shoot'em up. How did they get into the underground vault?

Seems like some nut went crazy with his rifle. I see no reason to assign any other motive.

An attack on our infrastructure that, if the article is to be believed, was planned and well executed.
Some shit was shot up. End of story. Unless of course you want to make money. Who in this situation is trying to profit?

You should have heard the breathless reporting of a missing dog on the local news yesterday. Gripping stuff! I don't understand why it didn't go national!

This story is also OLD. If it was terrorism why hasn't it been repeated? My guess would be some rowdy kids or drunk adult.

Forum List

Back