SOURCE: Shutdown Agreement Reached, Announcement Set for 1PM

He did the right thing. My opinion of him has gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
He said something interesting right at the beginning: that the Democrats had finally admitted that barriers are an important part of border security. A bipartisan group is being convened to review information on what works and what is needed, supplied by experts in the field. The committee has three weeks (Feb 15) and if they have not come up with an acceptable plan by then, he will invoke a national emergency.

Doesn't sound like much of a "cave" to me. I am hopeful that this will work.

Oh, another comment of interest was that the tentative agreement will include improved and heightened drug-detection equipment at the customs crossing points. He said they are greatly outdated. So maybe they will actually be able to stop some of the drug flow into the country. A lot comes in on ships, though, and they'll never be able to catch it all.
Yes its a cave...

Bad poll numbers, airport problems and workers who don't want to work for free have forced Trump to concede to Democrats led by Nancy Pelosi:
Trump to speak after tentative deal to end shutdown is reached

From what I see it's a 3 week continuance.

Let's see if the Dems will actually negotiate now, or will they just keep demanding their way or the highway.
Trump is the one holding the nation hostage with “my way or the highway.”

it takes two to tango, and the Dems not budging on border security makes them just as guilty for the shutdown.

But your partisan twat-hack addled mind makes you unable to see anything beyond "ORANGE MAN BAD"
Democrats are holding the position of their constituents, who are against rebuilding the wall. That’s their job.

And Trump is holding the position of his constitutients.

Compromise is not 'the dems get what they want" anymore, we have someone in the White House who won't fall for the usual progressive trick of promising and then ignoring.

He did the right thing. My opinion of him has gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Come on, it has nothing to do with "the right thing." He's staring Zeropercent growth in the face, and the gop senate is preparing to abandon him over the polls.

NOTHING Trump does is consistent with a single unifying principle or belief - it's all transactional with no interrelation. For example, he wanted to withdraw from Nato while simultaneously taking on China over trade ... all while China is opening trade with the EU.

This is why our country is going down the shitter. Anyone someone does something like what Trump did they are demonized for it. This was the right thing to do, can we not just leave it at that and then let the two sides hash it out without both sides attacking just for the sake of partisanship.
the right thing to do was not shutting the govt in the first place. Trump caved to two RW radio hosts. People have lost jobs, and not just federal workers temporarily forced to work without pay.

Trump only caved when it was inescapable that Pelosi called his threat, and she was willing to see the country go into recession rather than give into extortion that would be repeated over and over whenever Trump, and possibly future potuses, failed to persuade and compromise with congress. The econ was going to hit a wall, and McConnell was losing his ability to hold 40 votes to continue the shutdown

this has nothing to do with "doing the right thing." It's about what is best for Trump.

Telling that you are ok with the Dems letting the economy go into a recession just to avoid negotiating with Trump. You know I am no fan of Trump, but I have to call it like I see it.
It's telling that you think allowing a president to use the lives of federal employees as pawns to get his way is something you feel is worth rewarding...it is not....

Bad poll numbers, airport problems and workers who don't want to work for free have forced Trump to concede to Democrats led by Nancy Pelosi:

Let's see if the Dems will actually negotiate now, or will they just keep demanding their way or the highway.
Trump is the one holding the nation hostage with “my way or the highway.”

it takes two to tango, and the Dems not budging on border security makes them just as guilty for the shutdown.

But your partisan twat-hack addled mind makes you unable to see anything beyond "ORANGE MAN BAD"
Democrats are holding the position of their constituents, who are against rebuilding the wall. That’s their job.

And Trump is holding the position of his constitutients.

Compromise is not 'the dems get what they want" anymore, we have someone in the White House who won't fall for the usual progressive trick of promising and then ignoring.
Not exactly. The American people are also Trump’s constituents, and most Americans are against rebuilding the wall.

And it was Trump’s decision to shut the government down because he didn’t get his way.

By "negotiate", do you mean giving Trump the wall you want?

Pelosi is on record as saying she would negotiate if the government re-opened. It's gonna be re-opened for three week. lets see if she was being truthful or not.

My bet is on not.
Negotiate does not necessarily mean he gets his wall even though you seem to think so.

Right now it does, even if he only gets a smaller one.

Do you see him not getting at least something out of this?

He may not get 5.7 billion, but he would probably settle for 2 billion.
It means nothing of the sort. You hope he will, but it's far from garanteed.

Pelosi is on record as saying she would negotiate if the government re-opened. It's gonna be re-opened for three week. lets see if she was being truthful or not.

My bet is on not.

He has already made his strongest move and it failed. Ms. Pelosi will toss him a shiny bone to show to his base. Maybe a big bone.

His strongest move would be using the National Emergency route.

Sure it is. That's why he went through the shutdown and the surrender instead.

Words have meaning. There's no emergency. Declaring an emergency to deal with a non-emergency is a move of desperation, not strength. It's an admission that neither Mexico, nor the American people's representatives, will pay for Trump's vanity wall.

In a sane world, he'd get the fuck over it.

My bet is on not.

He has already made his strongest move and it failed. Ms. Pelosi will toss him a shiny bone to show to his base. Maybe a big bone.

Words have meaning. There's no emergency. Declaring an emergency to deal with a non-emergency is a move of desperation, not strength. It's an admission that neither Mexico, nor the American people's representatives, will pay for Trump's vanity wall.

The term "Emergency" in the legislation he would use spells out what is an "emergency" under the law, and it isn't a sirens blazing emergency.

It's not a surrender until he is out of office without getting his wall, or fence, or barrier, or whatever.

My bet is on not.

The term "Emergency" in the legislation he would use spells out what is an "emergency" under the law, and it isn't a sirens blazing emergency.

It's not a surrender until he is out of office without getting his wall, or fence, or barrier, or whatever.

What tune do you whistle past the graveyard?

His misuse of the military as an election tactic didn't go over too well. I don't think allowing Donald "The Truth" Trump to define words is a winning strategy.

My bet is on not.

His misuse of the military as an election tactic didn't go over too well. I don't think allowing Donald "The Truth" Trump to define words is a winning strategy.

Sorry, I don't suffer from TDS like a lot of people on this board, and thus don't fall for the need to reinforce my beliefs with "ORANGE MAN BAD" and other variations on the same sad song.

Sorry, I don't suffer from TDS like a lot of people on this board, and thus don't fall for the need to reinforce my beliefs with "ORANGE MAN BAD" and other variations on the same sad song.

Oh, gee. You invoked TDS. There's no defense against the invocation of TDS. You win.

Oh, gee. You invoked TDS. There's no defense against the invocation of TDS. You win.

That's what you get when you give cookie cutter Trump sucks screeds.

Forum List

Back