SpaceX Rocket...Explodes

Well, that didn't last long. More of Elon's money going up in smoke. Good thing there wasn't a crew on the way to the moon.

I do like the "rapid disassembly" explanation. That's a new one.

It was the FIRST TEST FLIGHT of a brand new and EXPERIMENTAL vehicle.

SpaceX was very clear up front that the test would be a success if the rocket cleared the tower. Anything beyond that was pure gravy. The fact that the rocket successfully passed through MaxQ was huge, and will have given SpaceX tons of valuable data.

From that perspective, the test was an absolutely amazing success. That is why you heard everybody at SpaceX cheering, even when it was obviously in distress.

It made it thru Max Q and Max G. Elon learned a hell of a lot. That is why it is called Research, Test and Development.

Well, that didn't last long. More of Elon's money going up in smoke. Good thing there wasn't a crew on the way to the moon.

I am just thankful no lives were lost.....I am sure they will figure out the issues and correct them....there are some very capable people working there.......Elon, or no Elon

Sounds like they were rather pleased with the results

But the employees gathered at SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California to watch the launch let out a massive cheer at Starship's demise, celebrating the gains made on its first-ever liftoff. The giant vehicle reached a maximum altitude of about 24 miles (39 kilometers), according to the data on SpaceX's launch webcast.

"To get this far is amazing," SpaceX's Kate Tice said during the webcast. "Everything after clearing the tower was icing on the cake."

It is Arab money being laundered through a fertilizer company that went from being worth a few million to hundred of billions in a few years. That said, I am not sure the wisdom of designing the thing to have to flip in flight to begin with if they intend to ever put humans on board.

Sadly, it goes with the territory. Like with NASA, whom I'm sure has lost their share of rockets, once it's perfected, it will be a very useful tool.

It was supposed to be tongue in cheek humor. For that purpose, it was a pretty amazing line. :laugh:

SpaceX was very clear up front that the test would be a success if the rocket cleared the tower. Anything beyond that was pure gravy. The fact that the rocket successfully passed through MaxQ was huge, and will have given SpaceX tons of valuable data.

From that perspective, the test was an absolutely amazing success. That is why you heard everybody at SpaceX cheering, even when it was obviously in distress.

It made it thru Max Q and Max G. Elon learned a hell of a lot. That is why it is called Research, Test and Development.

Plus Musk has one huge advantage over public organizations like NASA or even publicly traded companies like Boeing.

When they have a rocket blow up, even as a testbed, NASA has to explain to congress why the money spent was "wasted" on a failed launch. Same with a company like Boeing having to explain it to their shareholders.

SpaceX is a private company. Musk doesn't have to explain things like this to anyone. He just needs to write the check for the next launch.

In the early days of NASA, more than a few rockets blew up during the launch of shortly thereafter. As we know, tragically, the Challenger exploded with astronauts aboard. Space flight is still dangerous. And especially in the testing phases, it remains dangerous.

The lessons learned from this rocket’s explosion will lead to future successes.

In the early days of NASA, more than a few rockets blew up during the launch of shortly thereafter. As we know, tragically, the Challenger exploded with astronauts aboard. Space flight is still dangerous. And especially in the testing phases, it remains dangerous.

Strangely the only people to die actually IN space were three Cosmonauts who's capsule depressurized just prior to re-entry.

Soyuz 11 - Wikipedia

Strangely the only people to die actually IN space were three Cosmonauts who's capsule depressurized just prior to re-entry.

Soyuz 11 - Wikipedia
As with most human progress, it is inevitable that mistakes and tragedies will occur. Therefore it is safe to predict that somewhere down the road other astronauts will also perish in the endeavor to become a spacefaring people.

It got off the ground. Hopefully the next one will too.

Really? Yuk yuk yuk.

Have any of the Govt's rockets ever exploded before?

And? Those companies are worth a LOT less than they were a year ago.
Mostly because Elon bought Twitter and still can't keep his mouth shut.
Twitter stock is doing well since Musk took over from the demafascist.

Which is quite impressive in the Xiden admin...
As of Monday, the S&P 500 has fallen by 1.2% since Biden took office in January 2021. That marks the second-worst performance during a president’s first 656 calendar days in office since former President Jimmy Carter, according to CFRA Research.

Although I want this to succeed (and Musk really messed up by the distracting himself with running a social media company), it's hard for me to see how this could ever succeed.
They built the most advanced complex rocket engine known to man and built a system around that rocket needing to work flawlessly with basically no margin of error.

Although I want this to succeed (and Musk really messed up by the distracting himself with running a social media company), it's hard for me to see how this could ever succeed.
They built the most advanced complex rocket engine known to man and built a system around that rocket needing to work flawlessly with basically no margin of error.
haha yeah because Musk himself is in the shop engineering the rockets

Twitter stock is doing well since Musk took over from the demafascist.
After Musk took over, there's no such thing as Twitter stock. It's now privately held, not publicly traded. Look at your link. The last quote for Twitter stock was October 2022.

Forum List

Back