Speaking of gun control, it's time to weaken the definition of felony

Re: the subject of my above message, it is important to mention that the heroin addict I referenced became a thief (burglar) because there was no legal, affordable way to satisfy his compulsive habit. The same circumstances apply to a substantial percentage of convicted felons. This fact, combined with the cost of funding the totally counterproductive drug war represents the waste of trillions of taxpayer dollars.

Re: the subject of my above message, it is important to mention that the heroin addict I referenced became a thief (burglar) because there was no legal, affordable way to satisfy his compulsive habit. The same circumstances apply to a substantial percentage of convicted felons. This fact, combined with the cost of funding the totally counterproductive drug war represents the waste of trillions of taxpayer dollars.

By your own admission, you just said your friend was lured into criminal activity because his need to supply his drug habit. If we made drugs legal, he still would have needed money for his habit. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's free.

If recreational narcotics were made legal, we would only have more drug addicts. More people on our social programs, more people victims of crimes, more people dying like my cousin's son did this past summer from an OD of heroin.

The war on drugs is only there to help contain the problem--not solve it. Going the other way would only make things worse.

By your own admission, you just said your friend was lured into criminal activity because his need to supply his drug habit. If we made drugs legal, he still would have needed money for his habit. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's free.
Switzerland and The Netherlands have decriminalized heroin, which is now available to addicts at government supervised clinics along with needles and syringes. I don't recall the specifics regarding cost but I know that the actual cost/value of an average dose of heroin in U.S. dollars is about fifteen cents! Syringes cost a quarter and needles are a dime.

But the main advantage is the heroin supplied by the clinic is sterile and accurately measured. One main advantage of such availability is the elimination of the myriad medical problems related to using bootleg heroin which invariably is cut with all sorts of unsanitary, sometimes toxic substances (thus the term, "junk").

Both the Netherlands and Swiss heroin programs have been very successful in that the heroin-related crime rate has been virtually eliminated and there has been no increase in user rate, mainly because an effective rehab and discouragement program accompanies availability at the distribution centers.

If recreational narcotics were made legal, we would only have more drug addicts.
Portugal legalized all drugs about two years ago. The result thus far says you're mistaken.

More people on our social programs, more people victims of crimes, more people dying like my cousin's son did this past summer from an OD of heroin.
If clean, measured heroin doses were available at an approved distribution center he would not have overdosed. The quality of street heroin is a major cause of heroin-related problems.

The war on drugs is only there to help contain the problem--not solve it. Going the other way would only make things worse.
The drug war is a fiasco. It solves or contains nothing. Drugs are more available today than they were when Reagan escalated Nixon's folly -- and they cost less. Anyone who wants to buy drugs can find a supplier. And if Supplier A is busted, Supplier B steps right up. If Supplier B is busted, Supplier C steps up. And that goes right down the line from C to Z.

Everyone who is the least bit knowledgeable understands this. The notion that the drug war "contains" the problem rather than contributing to it is promoted by cops and narcs -- who know it's bullshit and who happen to be the scumbags of law enforcement.[/QUOTE]

After about a year, his friend asked if he knew anybody that sold coke. As it happened he did have another friend that would sell drugs on the side. He set them up to meet at his home. After the sale, he heard his door being knocked down, people crawling through the window yelling "POLICE DON'T MOVE." His buddy was an undercover cop. They used my friend to get to the guy they were really after--the pusher.

He didn't spend any time in jail but as you would expect, he now has a criminal record just for setting the deal up. He wasn't even involved in drugs himself. He's a beer man like me.

So your friend arranged a coke sale in his own house.? Doesn't sound so innocent to me. Or was it the coke dealer's house.?

After about a year, his friend asked if he knew anybody that sold coke. As it happened he did have another friend that would sell drugs on the side. He set them up to meet at his home. After the sale, he heard his door being knocked down, people crawling through the window yelling "POLICE DON'T MOVE." His buddy was an undercover cop. They used my friend to get to the guy they were really after--the pusher.

He didn't spend any time in jail but as you would expect, he now has a criminal record just for setting the deal up. He wasn't even involved in drugs himself. He's a beer man like me.

So your friend arranged a coke sale in his own house.? Doesn't sound so innocent to me. Or was it the coke dealer's house.?

No, it was at his house. The guy was just trying to do a favor for a friend. Up to that point, he never had so much as an outstanding parking ticket. He works, pays taxes and otherwise a model citizen.

Ffederal law says anyone with a felony conviction cannot have a gun and a felony is defined as any crime for which you COULD (not did but could) have gotten a year or more in prison. That is an extremely low bar and should be raised to 5 or maybe 10 years.

This would make a good negotiating point. The right could say "Okay we will extend criminal background checks to private sales if you accept raising the felony definition to 10 years."

Don't want ever be a felon, run for Congress or the Presidency..

[
Anyone convicted of a crime of violence or who is not a citizen of the United States should NOT be permitted to purchase a firearm or vote under any circumstances, ever.
that' part is already the law

No it isn't. You can beat up some guy in a bar and get off with misdemeanor assault. It's a crime of violence and you may even do up to a year in prison, but your gun rights are intact. Same with DUI which is usually a misdemeanor and is a violent crime too.

And - most states let felons vote.

If recreational narcotics were made legal, we would only have more drug addicts. .

Prolly true. Look at booze - it's legal and it causes more problems than coke and heroin combined.
Why do you believe that's true? If drugs were legalized would you rush out and start using heroin?

Several nations have decriminalized the use of heroin. None of them have experienced an increase in usage. So don't believe the drug warrior propaganda.

[
Anyone convicted of a crime of violence or who is not a citizen of the United States should NOT be permitted to purchase a firearm or vote under any circumstances, ever.
that' part is already the law

No it isn't. You can beat up some guy in a bar and get off with misdemeanor assault. It's a crime of violence and you may even do up to a year in prison, but your gun rights are intact. Same with DUI which is usually a misdemeanor and is a violent crime too.

And - most states let felons vote.

Hi TDK--are you saying that non citizens can buy guns in the USA-well permeant residents can

but those without a green card cannot

Forum List

Back