Special Interest GRoups Hire Poor and Students to Astroturf Internet Forums

And you are gullible, which is completely understandable. It's a big ego boost to believe that anyone cares what you have to say enough to hire people to argue against you.

But it's delusional. This is my field of expertise, I've been a political professional for years. I've worked for, or know people who work for all of the organizations that you live in fear of - SEIU, ACORN, etc. No organizer I've ever met would consider anonymous message boards as a legitimate use of resources.

This message board is recreation.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It would appear social media is not well understood by old political professors. There have been numerous accounts of social media spending by the DNC and it's affiliate benefactors. To deny the power of social media is actually silly coming from a senior moderator of a social media web site.

You're not understanding my point.

Social media is most certainly a legitimate organizational tool - a strong argument can be made that Obama won due to his campaign's embrace of social media for organizing.

But anonymous political message boards are not the same thing as Facebook. Social media as an organizational tool focuses on getting politically inactive friends connected to campaigns - whereas message boards like this one are useless in that regard, being anonymous, international, and most importantly, full of people who already have strong political opinions - not a target group for any organizer.

I've had at least one invite to discussions from a person on this board who claims to be working on a political campaign here in TX.

Facebook also includes message board features, just as this site includes picture sharing features. Saying people that come here have strong opinions but people elsewhere are a better target sort of sells this board short. I see all people here and outside this board as the same.

Last edited:
Many people on facebook, are socks too. Not every facebook account is a solo account made by one real person. Anonymity is employed on all types of social media. Anonymity is not sought by everyone, and just because you don't know someones' name does not mean you can't advertise to people who are amenable to the message.

Forum List

Back