Spiritual, but not religious?

There's a lot true in that article, and yet at the same time the author's verbose manor is itself something of barrier to people being interested in "religion".

It's a double-edged sword, this attitude she displays. I'm agnostic, but I do consider myself 'spiritual'. it's not that I am a lazy thinker nor am I lazy in good deeds, but I do personally know many people who fit into the paradigm the author has described.

Spiritual people want all the "feel good" aspects of God (long walks on the beach and sunsets) without any of the responsibility.

I am a spiritual atheist but I don't go around trying to convince others not to believe in God. Her job is to convince others to believe in her religion. She didn't convince me that holding hands with a devout church goer when the plane hits turbulence was a better option than trusting the engineering and the skills of the pilots who have been through the same thing countless times.

So that article was just a whine in my opinion. Perhaps if she takes a walk on the beach at sunset she will get over it.

Did I tell you why I'm spiritual and not religious? I'll spare you the details.:eusa_angel:

Religion supplies 3 things that spirituality doesnt.. Tradition, Discipline, and Ritual.. And I admire folks who submit to those. I prefer living among them to folks who ridicule those things without ever being subject to them. That is what the preacher is selling and that is what "spiritual" people are rejecting.

I don't understand however how folks who have never pryed themselves out of bed every Sunday and gotten dressed for services have any appreciation of the VALUE of those things. And having been RAISED religious -- I do. So I can fall back on the traditions and rituals when I feel the need..

But I gave up on the discipline part because of the reliance on "differences" and "faith" to enforce that discipline. If there was a Unitarian sect that wasn't completely owned by Noam Chomsky and Alinsky politics --- I'd probably be a member.. :evil:

Did I tell you why I'm spiritual and not religious? I'll spare you the details.:eusa_angel:

Religion supplies 3 things that spirituality doesnt.. Tradition, Discipline, and Ritual.. And I admire folks who submit to those. I prefer living among them to folks who ridicule those things without ever being subject to them. That is what the preacher is selling and that is what "spiritual" people are rejecting.

I don't understand however how folks who have never pryed themselves out of bed every Sunday and gotten dressed for services have any appreciation of the VALUE of those things. And having been RAISED religious -- I do. So I can fall back on the traditions and rituals when I feel the need..

But I gave up on the discipline part because of the reliance on "differences" and "faith" to enforce that discipline. If there was a Unitarian sect that wasn't completely owned by Noam Chomsky and Alinsky politics --- I'd probably be a member.. :evil:

College football teams are hugely reliant on Tradition, Discipline and Ritual as well.....but the vast majority of college students are better off tackling books.

Religion is, in fact, something one DOES.

Spirituality is something one IS.

Criticising what someone is because of what they don't do is, in one word, futile.

Regards from Rosie

College football teams are hugely reliant on Tradition, Discipline and Ritual as well.....but the vast majority of college students are better off tackling books.

Criticising what someone is because of what they don't do is, in one word, futile.

Regards from Rosie

Rituals are what you do whereas religion is what you believe.

Without discipline in one's life things tend to fall apart. But as you pointed out discipline can be found in many other things besides religion. If I understand Flacaltenn's position he was referring specifically to the discipline of routine worship. For those that lack any discipline at all that is as good a place to start as any other.

Regards from Rosie

Without discipline in one's life things tend to fall apart. But as you pointed out discipline can be found in many other things besides religion. If I understand Flacaltenn's position he was referring specifically to the discipline of routine worship. For those that lack any discipline at all that is as good a place to start as any other.

Spiritual people are as disciplined as any religious person. The difference resolves in that the spiritual person cannot handle being forced to worship in GROUPS.

Religious worship is an intensely personal and intimate experience for the spiritual. Trying to fit into predetermined ritual led by a religious intermediary just does not "work".

In many ways the individual spiritual life is of a deeper religious nature than those who are merely habitually repeating religious traditions and rituals.

Worshiping as a "sheeple" under a "leader" interferes with valid spiritual connection with Deity for many deeply spiritual people.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Spiritual people are as disciplined as any religious person. The difference resolves in that the spiritual person cannot handle being forced to worship in GROUPS.

Religious worship is an intensely personal and intimate experience for the spiritual. Trying to fit into predetermined ritual led by a religious intermediary just does not "work".

In many ways the individual spiritual life is of a deeper religious nature than those who are merely habitually repeating religious traditions and rituals.

Worshiping as a "sheeple" under a "leader" interferes with valid spiritual connection with Deity for many deeply spiritual people.

Regards from Rosie

But even though they may worship as a group that does not negate their spiritual connection. Some people are individuals and others are more comfortable in groups. How they make their spiritual connection is valid for them and I have no problem recognizing what they experience.

Regards from Rosie

But even though they may worship as a group that does not negate their spiritual connection. Some people are individuals and others are more comfortable in groups. How they make their spiritual connection is valid for them and I have no problem recognizing what they experience.

That is good, Deri-Te. But the blogger in the OP does not, and many brick-and-mortar group worshippers do not recognize the validity of individual spiritualism, either.

Regards from Rosie

Forum List

Back