Stand up to abortion and remain tax free!

"I don't want my taxes to go to paying for abortion" "By law they already don't" "Well my conspiracy theory group says..."

And thus batshittery is maintained across the land.

"I don't want my taxes to go to paying for abortion" "By law they already don't" "Well my conspiracy theory group says..."

And thus batshittery is maintained across the land.

Apparently reality is even more subjective than I thought.

“A woman has the right to choose, but apparently, the prosecutor feels I do not,” Michael Bowman told the court.

As Americans across the nation scramble to file their tax returns next week, one Oregon man is fighting that requirement in court, claiming his Christian beliefs about abortion bar him from paying his taxes.

Michael Bowman has refused to file a tax return or pay income tax since at least 1999 because he doesn’t want his tax dollars to go toward abortions, The Oregonian reports.

“I’m not a tax protester. I love my country. I have a duty to my country. I have a duty to my conscience,” Bowman told The Oregonian.

Federal law already prohibits the use of federal funds to pay for abortion, except in cases of rape, incest or to save a woman’s life. And courts have previously ruled that the government’s right to collect taxes supersedes individuals’ religious or anti-war objections to paying them.

More: Oregon Man Refuses To Pay Taxes Based On Religious Beliefs About Abortion

Just another religious loony trying to avoid taxes. Religion is already tax-exempt. What if we all tried to pick and choose what we pay taxes for? What do you think?

Well, answer me this! If California can refuse to obey federal law why can’t this citizen?

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Religious beliefs aren’t ‘justification’ for ignoring just and proper laws (Employment Division v. Smith (1990)).

California is appropriately and lawfully following the Constitution, which prohibits the Federal government from compelling states and local jurisdictions to enforce Federal laws (Printz v. United States (1997)), and consistent with the 10th Amendment, having nothing to do with religious belief.

The issue Bowman attempts to raise is not remotely new. One must conclude that Bowman simply hasn't studied history or is poor student of it.

[What follows is a piece of an unfinished essay written for a different discussion, but that seems useful here.]​

To wit, careful review of Medieval through Renaissance history reveals the tendency for practitioners and arbiters of ecclesiastical law to fit their arguments, actions and doctrinal proclamations into the patterns of prevailing temporal law, thus downplaying, whenever they could, the potential for conflict that existed between canon law. Even where they asserted their claims against the common law, they did so mostly by indirection. Whether ecclesiastical solicitors', or more aptly their clients', remarks/stances were the product of fear, conviction, or resignation be not entirely demonstrable, for too often civilians were not reflective enough, and the records they produced too inarticulate for the historian to be sure whether they ever felt the conflict between religious and secular obligation as keenly as Thomas Becket. Even if they did, the evidence is sufficiently clear to demonstrate that they did not regard the conflict as a call to take direct action against the King. There certainly was conflict between common law and canon law at all times between 1250 and 1640. But the dominant themes in the responses to it on the part of English ecclesiastical lawyers did not include defiance. Rather, they were accommodation and self-defense through means that avoided, rather than confronted, the common-law rules.

References:

“Michael Bowman has refused to file a tax return or pay income tax since at least 1999 because he doesn’t want his tax dollars to go toward abortions.”

Using this ‘reasoning’ one shouldn’t be compelled to pay Federal income tax because funding air strikes in Syria violates his religious beliefs.

Agreed... I believe that no person should be obligated to pay taxes for things with which he finds morally objectionable.

Defund federal government.

“A woman has the right to choose, but apparently, the prosecutor feels I do not,” Michael Bowman told the court.

As Americans across the nation scramble to file their tax returns next week, one Oregon man is fighting that requirement in court, claiming his Christian beliefs about abortion bar him from paying his taxes.

Michael Bowman has refused to file a tax return or pay income tax since at least 1999 because he doesn’t want his tax dollars to go toward abortions, The Oregonian reports.

“I’m not a tax protester. I love my country. I have a duty to my country. I have a duty to my conscience,” Bowman told The Oregonian.

Federal law already prohibits the use of federal funds to pay for abortion, except in cases of rape, incest or to save a woman’s life. And courts have previously ruled that the government’s right to collect taxes supersedes individuals’ religious or anti-war objections to paying them.

More: Oregon Man Refuses To Pay Taxes Based On Religious Beliefs About Abortion

Just another religious loony trying to avoid taxes. Religion is already tax-exempt. What if we all tried to pick and choose what we pay taxes for? What do you think?

Well, answer me this! If California can refuse to obey federal law why can’t this citizen?

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Religious beliefs aren’t ‘justification’ for ignoring just and proper laws (Employment Division v. Smith (1990)).

California is appropriately and lawfully following the Constitution, which prohibits the Federal government from compelling states and local jurisdictions to enforce Federal laws (Printz v. United States (1997)), and consistent with the 10th Amendment, having nothing to do with religious belief.

Horseshit. California is blatantly breaking federal law by offering sanctuary to criminal illegals. They provide them welfare, they provide them housing, they provide them ID and drivers license.

Forum List

Back