State Moves To Decriminalize All Drugs

Buck111

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2016
On the big blue marble
Good or bad? I say good.

For the First Time in History, State Moves To Decriminalize All Drugs Even Heroin & Meth
The state that was the first to decriminalize small amounts of cannabis, is now moving to decriminalize small amounts of cocaine, heroin, meth and ecstasy.

drug-war-696x366.jpg

In an unprecedented move, Oregon is on its way to becoming the first state to decriminalize small amounts of hard drugs such as heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, and ecstasy, while also lowering the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor in some drug-related cases.

Two groundbreaking bills were passed by the Oregon legislature this week, and will go to the state’s Democratic governor, Kate Brown, for approval. House Bill 3078 reduces drug-related property crimes from felonies to misdemeanors. It passed in the state House with a vote of 33-26, and in the Senate with a vote of 18-11.

For the First Time in History, State Moves To Decriminalize All Drugs Even Heroin & Meth

There is a good Libertarian argument for this, but I'm not sure I really buy it. The idea that the individual is responsible for their own choices sounds good, but in reality society is also burdened with those choices. It is one of those issues that I can see both sides of the argument, but I am not firmly convinced of either side.

I do believe that full legalization would reduce the availability of drugs dramatically. The Cartels would stop hiring thugs and soldiers and start hiring lawyers, which would be a boon to the Porsche dealers around the nation. Picture the trials about Cigarettes even larger and for even more money.

Taxes as mentioned above would be a bonus. But here we run into some of the same brick walls that the Legalized Marijuana trials have run into. Because it would still be illegal under Federal Law banks would be prohibited from handling the cash and no credit or debit card transactions could be done. So even more cash only businesses would be cranked up making even more lucrative targets for crooks.

The police would be losing their monopoly on protection for dealers and they never react well to losing anything.

But one of the things I've never heard described well is something that seems minor in comparison. Operating a vehicle while under the influence.

Right now, basically the presence of any trace in your blood is proof that you were using. But what levels are too high? For alcohol, it is .08%, if you are below that you are legal, you are above it you are above the limit and operating while intoxicated. We have a hard threshold, and a test that allows us to determine where you fall on that threshold.

But we have no such test for other drugs, and no such threshold. How much Heroine is too much, how much in your blood based upon what test is going to determine if you are legal, or in violation?

You see what I mean, legalizing it is just the first step, then we have to have a long talk about a lot of smaller related things. Employment related drug screenings. You can come up hot days or weeks after using. Yet, if it is legal, what is the amount that will show that drugs had an affect in a job related injury?

Just think of all the different ways we test, and the affects those tests have upon the individuals, and you can see what I mean. I don't want to see some guy losing his job because he used on the weekend legally, but was still in violation on Thursday when he came up hot on the random drug screening test.

Forum List

Back