Sterling and the Loss of the 1st Amendment

Business has a reputation for censorship......
Yeppers. And a thing for throwing assholes, like this one, under the bus when necessary.

He'll be okay, he's worth 1.7 billion I'm told, and the team will sell for 700 mil. I won't be crying for him.

I am well aware of his and the team's financial status. Actually, I heard the team could sell for a billion.

But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how wealthy he is. An American is an American, no matter how wealthy or poor, and should thus have their rights protected.
It is the thought of banning him and forcing him to sell the team that galls me, especially because we apparently live in a country where the 1st has never been violated...

Yeppers. And a thing for throwing assholes, like this one, under the bus when necessary.

He'll be okay, he's worth 1.7 billion I'm told, and the team will sell for 700 mil. I won't be crying for him.

I am well aware of his and the team's financial status. Actually, I heard the team could sell for a billion.

But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how wealthy he is. An American is an American, no matter how wealthy or poor, and should thus have their rights protected.
It is the thought of banning him and forcing him to sell the team that galls me, especially because we apparently live in a country where the 1st has never been violated...

Maybe you should look into the contracts he signed? He cut a deal, and he fucked up, on tape no less. That's business in America, not Free Speech. He spoke his mind, and it cost him, in a big way, and the government has not a damn thing to do with what's happening to him, not a tiny little bit.

Last edited:

What part of the NBA being a private business confuses you? How has his 1st Amendment rights been abridged?

As the title reads, the entire Sterling case is a demonstration of the loss of freedom of speech in America and of the entirely lop-sided racial bias in the country.

No, it’s a demonstration of your ignorance of a fundamental Constitutional principle: First Amendment jurisprudence applies only to government entities and other public sector law or policy making bodies, not private individuals, companies, or organizations, such as the NBA and its owners.

Consequently there is no ‘loss’ of the First Amendment.

and should thus have their rights protected.

From government overreach, there are no ‘rights’ to ‘protect’ in the context of the private sector.

Should a given government entity enact a law making it illegal to express one’s hatred of African-Americans, where one might be put into prison for such a ‘crime,’ then you may start a thread about the ‘loss’ of the First Amendment.

Maybe you should look into the contracts he signed? He cut a deal, and he fucked up, on tape no less. That's business in America, not Free Speech. He spoke his mind, and it cost him, in a big way, and the government has not a damn thing to do with what's happening to him, not a tiny little bit.

But you have no issue with Obama condemning him?
And speaking your mind is business, not free speech?

and should thus have their rights protected.

From government overreach, there are no ‘rights’ to ‘protect’ in the context of the private sector.

Should a given government entity enact a law making it illegal to express one’s hatred of African-Americans, where one might be put into prison for such a ‘crime,’ then you may start a thread about the ‘loss’ of the First Amendment.

How "Liberal" of them to care about the First Amendment when this is nothing more than Capitalism in action. For them I suppose that's an easy mistake to make when business is religion and religion is for-profit.

What part of the NBA being a private business confuses you? How has his 1st Amendment rights been abridged?

In that philosophy, Commissioner Silver is a CEO, the players and coaches are employees, and owners are like investors. Can a private business force an investor to sell his stock after it has already been bought, fine him, and ban him from that business forever?

He should be condemned, for being fucking stupid. If you make loads of cash having am bunch of ******* play with a ball, you don't get caught on tape saying don't bring the ******* to watch. It's pretty simple actually.

And there is no free speech in business. You work for the man and you follow his rules. You can speak your mind when you aren't on the clock but that doesn't mean you'll have a job in the morning. That's not part of the deal.

We are creating a brand new master race. One that is beyond punishment or criticism.

In that philosophy, Commissioner Silver is a CEO, the players and coaches are employees, and owners are like investors. Can a private business force an investor to sell his stock after it has already been bought, fine him, and ban him from that business forever?
It can in that business, and it does. It's in the fucking contract!!!

Last edited:

Yes.

As the title reads, the entire Sterling case is a demonstration of the loss of freedom of speech in America and of the entirely lop-sided racial bias in the country.

No, it’s a demonstration of your ignorance of a fundamental Constitutional principle: First Amendment jurisprudence applies only to government entities and other public sector law or policy making bodies, not private individuals, companies, or organizations, such as the NBA and its owners.

So the 1st only applies to the gov't? You are suggesting the American people have never had freedom of speech?
Yet you call me ignorant. Someone (**cough, cough, you, cough, cough**) should read the 9th. It clearly points out that with the exception of the 10th-as it applies to the gov't- the other rights are to be retained by the People, like the first.

He should be condemned, for being fucking stupid. If you make loads of cash having am bunch of ******* play with a ball, you don't get caught on tape saying don't bring the ******* to watch. It's pretty simple actually.

And there is no free speech in business. You work for the man and you follow his rules. You can speak your mind when you aren't on the clock but that doesn't mean you'll have a job in the morning. That's not part of the deal.

I never said he was wrong, just that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

So the 1st only applies to the gov't? You are suggesting the American people have never had freedom of speech?
Yet you call me ignorant. Someone (**cough, cough, you, cough, cough**) should read the 9th. It clearly points out that with the exception of the 10th-as it applies to the gov't- the other rights are to be retained by the People, like the first.

CorvusRexus, dumb as a damn brick. Idiot, the government isn't doing anything in this case. What this is is a racist asshole getting is spanked by the corporation whose rules he agreed to. It's business, not politics, or religion, or even his civil rights. He has those, still intact, but what he doesn't have is a team anymore because the people who truly control it just tossed his butt out the door, and they are allowed to do so, and he knows it, but he will sue anyway. As an owner, he's not allowed to say such crap, it's bad for the league which is why he is gone, gone, gone, and it's all perfectly legal...

Last edited:

Did you study cause and effect in grade school? Same principle.

But if you are certain you are right...go to work tomorrow, call your boss a commie-douchebag-pussy-boi. When you get fired...try suing them for abridging your 1st Amendment rights.

I never said he was wrong, just that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
Was, wasn't, it doesn't matter. He broke the rules of the league and they tossed him. It's business and they have every right to do so. Get a clue.

Forum List

Back