Stop trying to divide "Jews" from "Zionists."

That's a great comparison actually, because there's another component to the American frontier movement that encouraged westward expansion at the expense of indiginous people, and that was Manifest Destiny. The frontier movement was a combination of a belief that it was right and just and divinely ordained and the need for land and a chance to start a new life, often from immigrants who came from areas that had no such opportunities.
However the difference between this and the Frontier Movement is that the Arabs are recent invaders to the land (as in the last two centuries) and the Jews, unlike the White Europeans do have ties and a deep history in the land, far more than the Arabs.

There's not really much of a difference. The Palestinians and Jews are largely the same people: www.stml.net/text/Populations.pdf - so there are no "recent invaders".

I shouldn't have said "indiginous" but rather current inhabitants of that land who do have deep ties and a deep history there.

there is no problem with "indigenous" as long as it is used consistantly. i mean, technically, the jews, when they were a people before they became a religion, were indigenous to southern iraq.

here is what is going on nin this thread. the meanings of words are moving around and not being applied with any consistancy. it is bigotry when the meaning of a word changes depending on the group of people to whom it is being applied.

That's why we have to keep reminding people.

It is a common Arab tactic to hijack words and use them for their own purpose. Whether its changing the definition of Apartheid, Holocaust, ethinic-cleansing, or Zionist, its a dishonest tactic.

I will continue to point out this type of dishonesty when I encounter it.

It's not just an Arab tactic - I see the same thing occuring against Muslims by attempting to redefine terms such as Taquiya (sp?) or Sharia (utilizing extreme examples to define the entire concept).

While I disagree with the use of "Holocaust" in describing any situations not part of WW2 and I disagree with the use of the term genocide against Israel - I think ethnic cleansing as talked about by historians like Benny Morris, can be applicable and I think comparisons to apartheid can be part of the debate. I don't think that is dishonest in regards to some of the injustices and inequalities that do occur.

in ireland we have learned that when you give up the words, you give up the struggle.

zionism is what is practised by israel with cluster bombs in lebanon, willie peter rounds in gaza, IDF T shirts saying "one shot, two kills" with a pregnant women in the crosshairs.

words and meanings evolve. you mentioned "manifest destiny". it had a totally different meaning in the mid 1800s on to the antonio lopez de santa ana and the mexican peoples and mahpia luta, totanka yotanka, tashunka witko and the native tribal groups than it did for pres. james polk, general zachry taylor, and general george custer as they lied, cheated, and killed their way through north america..

"Historians have for the most part agreed that there are three basic themes to Manifest Destiny. 1. The special virtues of the American people and their institutions; 2. America's mission to redeem and remake the world in the image of America; A divine destiny under God's direction to accomplish this wonderful task." (R.J. Miller)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_destiny

"zionism" is what is going on in israel today and it includes land theft, war crimes, human rights abuses, and acts of genocide...and i ain't fooled.

you can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want but i sure as hell ain't gonna kiss it.

I think I'll go with the definition expressed by Herzl, Ben-Gurion and Meir over that of "random internet message board poster," If that's okay with you, Pinniped.

Now you've just met one. I also have several friends and family members who believe the same thing, and I wouldn't call any one of us "zionists."

One day you'll need Israel and then you'll get your mistake.
I hope I don't, but only because I see myself as an American (to the core) and not an Israeli.

Which is why, when those in power talk about trying to selectively change the way the law treats people of a particular ethnicity or religion, I'll fight them. To the death if necessary. For me, that's a major part of what it means to be American.

thank you. i would be happy to fight beside you, and believe me, i would, with my last breath, if need be.

It is a common Arab tactic to hijack words and use them for their own purpose. Whether its changing the definition of Apartheid, Holocaust, ethinic-cleansing, or Zionist, its a dishonest tactic.

It's not just an Arab tactic - I see the same thing occuring against Muslims by attempting to redefine terms such as Taquiya (sp?) or Sharia (utilizing extreme examples to define the entire concept).

While I disagree with the use of "Holocaust" in describing any situations not part of WW2 and I disagree with the use of the term genocide against Israel - I think ethnic cleansing as talked about by historians like Benny Morris, can be applicable and I think comparisons to apartheid can be part of the debate. I don't think that is dishonest in regards to some of the injustices and inequalities that do occur.

in ireland we have learned that when you give up the words, you give up the struggle.

zionism is what is practised by israel with cluster bombs in lebanon, willie peter rounds in gaza, IDF T shirts saying "one shot, two kills" with a pregnant women in the crosshairs.

words and meanings evolve. you mentioned "manifest destiny". it had a totally different meaning in the mid 1800s on to the antonio lopez de santa ana and the mexican peoples and mahpia luta, totanka yotanka, tashunka witko and the native tribal groups than it did for pres. james polk, general zachry taylor, and general george custer as they lied, cheated, and killed their way through north america..

"Historians have for the most part agreed that there are three basic themes to Manifest Destiny. 1. The special virtues of the American people and their institutions; 2. America's mission to redeem and remake the world in the image of America; A divine destiny under God's direction to accomplish this wonderful task." (R.J. Miller)

"zionism" is what is going on in israel today and it includes land theft, war crimes, human rights abuses, and acts of genocide...and i ain't fooled.

you can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want but i sure as hell ain't gonna kiss it.

There is a lot in common with Manifold Destiny and the view of Zionism practiced by settlers in Israel. I would not label it genocide - there is no indication of that. Land theft, human rights abuses - yes. Genocide no.

I think though, that the bombing in Lebonon and wp in Gaza is not Zionism, but more complex. Israel has a right to defend itself, but it's use of WP was entirely inhumane and unnecessary and there has yet to be a real accounting or explanation for why.

That's an interesting saying - I never heard that before - what does it mean exactly?

"one shot, two kills"? Digusting :(

"one shot, two kills"? Digusting :(

Yes, that (if true) is disgusting.

But that type of comment never seems to be coupled with a condemnation of far worse acts (i.e. Itamar).

Sometimes, that type of "selective indignation" is the best evidence of bigotry.

However the difference between this and the Frontier Movement is that the Arabs are recent invaders to the land (as in the last two centuries) and the Jews, unlike the White Europeans do have ties and a deep history in the land, far more than the Arabs.

There's not really much of a difference. The Palestinians and Jews are largely the same people: www.stml.net/text/Populations.pdf - so there are no "recent invaders".

I shouldn't have said "indiginous" but rather current inhabitants of that land who do have deep ties and a deep history there.

there is no problem with "indigenous" as long as it is used consistantly. i mean, technically, the jews, when they were a people before they became a religion, were indigenous to southern iraq.

here is what is going on nin this thread. the meanings of words are moving around and not being applied with any consistancy. it is bigotry when the meaning of a word changes depending on the group of people to whom it is being applied.

Agree, there is a certain arbritraryness to meanings which is why I wanted to know what different people thought Zionism is.

If you look at Wikipedia - it can be applied in different ways - from simple nationalism and desire for a homeland where never again would they be subject to a holocaust to manifest destiny.

I think I'll go with the definition expressed by Herzl, Ben-Gurion and Meir over that of "random internet message board poster," If that's okay with you, Pinniped.

the "random internet poster" comment really wasn't necessary, was it? would you rather i didn't post? you might consider putting random internet posters on ignore if you find them so inane and ignorant.

are you saying that the definitions of words and the emotions behind them do not change. that certainly demonstrates a remarkable rigidity of thought.

the "random internet poster" comment really wasn't necessary, was it? would you rather i didn't post? you might consider putting random internet posters on ignore if you find them so inane and ignorant.

Its not up to me whether you post or not, but my description is accurate. To me, you are a "random internet poster," just as I am to you.

are you saying that the definitions of words and the emotions behind them do not change. that certainly demonstrates a remarkable rigidity of thought.

The definitions of words do not change.

The usage of words can.

However, when that usage is a strategic tactic to hide defamation, delegitimization, disparagement and bigotry, then it is appropriate to combat that mis-use of words so that casual observers are not mislead.

Agree, there is a certain arbritraryness to meanings which is why I wanted to know what different people thought Zionism is.

If you look at Wikipedia - it can be applied in different ways - from simple nationalism and desire for a homeland where never again would they be subject to a holocaust to manifest destiny.

practice also determines the meanings of words. look at "communism".

No, "communism" too can be defined.

Of course, there were great wrongs imposed upon those who were wrongly accused of being "communists" in this country. This shows that, once again, when people are permitted to redefine words for their own nefarious purposes, nothing good comes of it.

Its not up to me whether you post or not, but my description is accurate. To me, you are a "random internet poster," just as I am to you.

The definitions of words do not change.

The usage of words can.

However, when that usage is a strategic tactic to hide defamation, delegitimization, disparagement and bigotry, then it is appropriate to combat that mis-use of words so that casual observers are not mislead.

the definition changes with the practise, but you are splitting hairs.

i believe actually though, if you want to go that route, the initial definition of your aforementioned herzl only mentioned a homeland for the jews. places other than the current israel were considerd.

so, you agree with me that the "random internet poster" comment was superfluous. it is nice to agree.

it was also rude.

Last edited:

Of course, there were great wrongs imposed upon those who were wrongly accused of being "communists" in this country. This shows that, once again, when people are permitted to redefine words for their own nefarious purposes, nothing good comes of it.

definitions evolve and change.

we could discuss etymology forever to no end.

why are you even discussing the meaning of "zionism". just post the standard dictionary definition.

Last edited:
Coyote: Your link on population genetics was not a very good source because:

1) It's from 2001 - and 12 years is a very long time in the discipline and
2) It's attached to a discussion of politics and recent history which is NOT part of the discipline.

I think that these links are better sources:

1) Epiphenom: The shared genetic heritage of Jews and Palestinians
(this is essentially a 'blog' - but the author has his CV on the page and appears to have enough background to really understand the studies he's reporting on) It's from '09 - which is considerably more recent, although not the very latest.

2) In DNA, New Clues to Jewish Roots (while not a genetic study but rather a report on one, this article is quite informative and I thought would be of interest)

3) Comparing DNA Patterns of Sephardi, Ashkenazi & Kurdish Jews - Society for Crypto Judaic Studies (Also interesting for the 'history of science' historical perspective)

so, you agree with me that the "random internet poster" comment was superfluous. it is nice to agree.

it was also rude.

Oh, Pinniped... I know you're not so thin-skinned as to be insulted over something as innocuous as being called a "random internet poster."

I'm happy to discuss on-topic issues with you, but if you're going to constantly demand apologies for imaginary slights, I'm not going to waste my time with you.

Zionism is a word with a definition. Its not what you are trying to define it as being. If it were, I'd be insulted if you called me a Zionist. To the contrary, as I know what Zionism is, I'd take that as a compliment.

Last edited:

why are you even discussing the meaning of "zionism". just post the standard dictionary definition.

Okay...

According to Webster's, Zionism is "an international movement originally for the establishment of a Jewish national or religious community in Palestine and later for the support of modern Israel."

Any questions?

jewish people exclude the millions of non-jewish victims in their definition of the holocaust, which is bigotry.

as for genocide, there is a legal definition and the word "intent" is used in that definition, as are the words "national, ethnical, racial, or religious group.

the jewish people claim that no one did anything when the holocaust was happening to prevent it. i do not want my grandchildren to ask me someday why no one did anything to prevent the genocide of the palestinians.

jewish people exclude the millions of non-jewish victims in their definition of the holocaust, which is bigotry.

as for genocide, there is a legal definition and the word "intent" is used in that definition, as are the words "national, ethnical, racial, or religious group.

the jewish people claim that no one did anything when the holocaust was happening to prevent it. i do not want my grandchildren to ask me someday why no one did anything to prevent the genocide of the palestinians.

What a bunch of drivel. No one ever denies that millions of other were killed besides the Jews . But were the other nationalities, ethnicity but in camps and starved top death? Were they put in gas chambers? Were they persecuted for 5 years in the worse way possible? Were they forbidden from practicing their religion ? I;m certain you know nothing about the Holocaust. Being the anti - Semite that you are, you try any way possible to make sure people ignore the suffering of the Jews in the Holocaust by always bringing up the other victims, who didn't have it nearly as bad as the Jews
And saying there is a genocide against the Palestinians is just more Arab Propaganda, which you thrive in !

That's not true at all. In fact, Yad Vashem, Israel's Holocaust Museum, specifically acknowledges that the Holocaust was not limited to Jewish victims:

Holocaust History - Non-Jewish Victims of Persecution in Germany - Yad Vashem

I guess you owe every Jew here an apology, right?

That statement is among the worst types of anti-Semitism. The Jews (and others) were rounded up, put in camps, and exterminated. There is no analogy between that and anything that the "Palestinians" have been subjected to. Your attempt to create an analogy reveals who you are so, congratulations... you've been promoted to "random internet anti-Semite."

(And, no... I'm not going to apologize for calling you that, so don't bother asking me to do so.)

Last edited:

It's a very ineffective genocide since Palestinians have only multiplied exceedingly.
Sarcasm aside, practically every Jewish family has been affected by the Holocaust, since we're such a small nation. Do you have relatives that were killed in the Holocaust? Also, Hitler screamed, "Kill the Jews" the loudest and especially hated us. We are fully aware that six million other individuals were killed in concentration camps, and 50 million soldiers from all nations, and bombing victims, also died.

Okay...

According to Webster's, Zionism is "an international movement originally for the establishment of a Jewish national or religious community in Palestine and later for the support of modern Israel."

Any questions?

that's fine. we now have your opinion. you are no longer needed....we can discuss the meaning or "national" or "nation" at some later date.

i am opposed to the creation of religious states. i guess that makes me an anti-zionist and, according to some jewish posters, an anti-semite. i think you will find that most americans are opposed to the modern creation of religious states, and i am opposed to all religious states in general, other than small, titular states for the administration and education of that particular religion but i am not for granting them any kind of political power as a state.

i suppose i could make an exception to those beliefs but if i treat one people more favourably than other peoples, that would make me a bigot, and i am not that way.

Forum List

Back